Intel Iris Pro vs AMD Kaveri A10-7850K

That was a bit tough to read through but interesting results. Those little Brix are neat.

It does astonishingly well for the power it consumes. If only the Brix wasn't such an ugly thing.

So better in DX11, worse in DX9. I'm just afraid that Intel has caught up and will surpass AMD in the last thing that it does really well on the CPU side next gen.

any tips on laptops with integrated amd apus? with ssds and lots of ram.

I wouldn't worry too much. The 4570R is $288 and isn't socketed.

Like the lack of a socket makes a difference. The A10-7850K is the top-end of all offerings on FM2, so you'll never be able to utilize the upgrade option anyway. And performance improvements since the release of Trinity and FM2 in 2012 have been a WHOPPING 5-10%, so you really want to have that option to upgrade your CPU :D

The 4570R outperforms the AMD processor splendidly in everything CPU-related, so it's no surprise Intel charges a premium. And if you find the games performance coming up short, then both platforms would be more cost-effective adding a discrete GPU than going through the CPU upgrade rigamarole. But at that point you might as well avoid the price premium of the 4570R and go full desktop part, in which case the price difference gets a lot closer (Haswell Core i5 processors start at $200).

Last edited:
Like the lack of a socket makes a difference. The A10-7850K is the top-end of all offerings on FM2, so you'll never be able to utilize the upgrade option anyway.
Generally one upgrades one's Intel processor with another Intel processor, not an FM2 processor. Your argument here is a little backwards.

I don't disagree on any other points. No need to make a big thing.

Like the lack of a socket makes a difference. The A10-7850K is the top-end of all offerings on FM2, so you'll never be able to utilize the upgrade option anyway. And performance improvements since the release of Trinity and FM2 in 2012 have been a WHOPPING 5-10%, so you really want to have that option to upgrade your CPU :D

The 4570R outperforms the AMD processor splendidly in everything CPU-related, so it's no surprise Intel charges a premium. And if you find the games performance coming up short, then both platforms would be more cost-effective adding a discrete GPU than going through the CPU upgrade rigamarole. But at that point you might as well avoid the price premium of the 4570R and go full desktop part, in which case the price difference gets a lot closer (Haswell Core i5 processors start at $200).

Meh, i got my a10-7850k for $129 + tax with motherboard. Paired with ddr3 2133 its currently adding 87kh to my mining ops, and plays my games pretty good without having to shutdown a 290x when im not using it to mine. Is it fair to compare a chip thats not even close in price point?

Holy shit buttons. You've got some money in those cards. Wonder what they all fold ppd. As for the Intel iris pro. Yes its ok. The gpu still sucks and ide rather have the 7850k over it. Now if you put the 7850k gpu with the Intel cpu that would be impressive.

Generally one upgrades one's Intel processor with another Intel processor, not an FM2 processor. Your argument here is a little backwards.

I think he meant 7850K is the top end of FM2+ cpu so AMD will not make a faster one just as AMD did not further the Richland 6800K or the Trinity 5800K chips but introduced a low step version just to fit within the pricing segment which AMD thinks was missing. But I really think, there is hope for a FASTER Kaveri or at least variants that could be way more flexible. Like ones with 2 Jaguar core, 2 SteamRoller core and 768 gpu cores. Or optimised for HSA, 2 Jaguar Core (fp neutered), 4 SR cores (but dedicated fp units, not shared per module as now), 512 gpu cores. The idea is when HSA software/OS is ready with OpenCL 2.0, the main cpu is not going to do much except co-ordinate dispatch and display screen. Compute is going on other other CU cores stronger/faster. So one can have a really power efficient machine yet a powerful one when needed.
AMD might want to look at how 64MB of eDRAM for L3 cache might help their RAM speeds. I suspected front-ending this eDRAM on the hUMA switch is a good thing.

I think he meant 7850K is the top end of FM2+ cpu so AMD will not make a faster one just as AMD did not further the Richland 6800K or the Trinity 5800K chips but introduced a low step version just to fit within the pricing segment which AMD thinks was missing. But I really think, there is hope for a FASTER Kaveri or at least variants that could be way more flexible. Like ones with 2 Jaguar core, 2 SteamRoller core and 768 gpu cores. Or optimised for HSA, 2 Jaguar Core (fp neutered), 4 SR cores (but dedicated fp units, not shared per module as now), 512 gpu cores. The idea is when HSA software/OS is ready with OpenCL 2.0, the main cpu is not going to do much except co-ordinate dispatch and display screen. Compute is going on other other CU cores stronger/faster. So one can have a really power efficient machine yet a powerful one when needed.
AMD might want to look at how 64MB of eDRAM for L3 cache might help their RAM speeds. I suspected front-ending this eDRAM on the hUMA switch is a good thing.

The "first" flagship Kaveri chip is the 7850K so to think that it would be the "last" fastest chip AMD puts out for FM2+ is just ridiculous. Where do you people come up with this crap?

FM2+ is on AMD's roadmap through at least 2015, so I find that extraordinarily unlikely.

Going by recent history, AMD's has used a new socket per generation of APU.

It's not a far stretch to think they would switch to a new socket for Excavator

In bench marks intel graphics have gotten quite good, but the drivers are still lacking for some games. I've been running on them for the last few months (see sig) and there are random problems. Super meatboy runs at 30fps instead of the 60 that it should, all game timings are based off of the 60fps and so everything is fucked. I get pushed off platforms as they move across the screen. Sim city 4 has artifacts for... reasons I assume. I can play civ 5 at decent frames, but I don't get why 2d games have issues like they do.

In bench marks intel graphics have gotten quite good, but the drivers are still lacking for some games. I've been running on them for the last few months (see sig) and there are random problems. Super meatboy runs at 30fps instead of the 60 that it should, all game timings are based off of the 60fps and so everything is fucked. I get pushed off platforms as they move across the screen. Sim city 4 has artifacts for... reasons I assume. I can play civ 5 at decent frames, but I don't get why 2d games have issues like they do.

Intel tries to work with the developer to develop games for their graphics without the need for extra drivers.

When that doesn't happen, the experience is as described...

I'd rather have the A10-7850k vs Iris Pro.

even with edram the results are the same more or less. Mantle + overclocking would put things in heavy favor of the AMD gpu.

Intel tries to work with the developer to develop games for their graphics without the need for extra drivers.

When that doesn't happen, the experience is as described...

It's asinine. Intel has two driver teams for windows and linux that end up supporting different things on each platform. It's pitiful that a modern graphics system can't properly render a 2D game from 2003.

I'll pass on the useless netbook in a box. The BF4 benchmark doesn't show Mantle performance which is about 60 fps multi-player at 1600x900 low which is very usable if coming from previous generation console. CPU performance is an upgrade from dual Xeon 5160.

Back