Intel Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation @ [H]

The only thing a Devil's Canyon review needs is old i5/i7 OC vs DC i5/i7 OC on some decent air cooler or perhaps water.

Hexus tests stock with stock cooling with a bunch of irrelevant tests. The only thing semi-useful was the power consumption.

Huh? They posted their CPU-Z screenshot on the 2nd page of the review.. says 4790K ES.

They tested it on the same platform against a stock 4770k, both with factory HSF, and temp was 10° hotter at load. Was a shitty review, but not sure how they could've screwed that one up.

Dunno. But it would seem to me that was not a DC part.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz .... the only clear upgrade path for me in the 8 core / 16 tread with quad channel DDR4 @ 2133.

Quite possibly so.

the same apply for us with 3770k too.. im just waiting for that.

I can feel that too depending on your clocks.

The only thing a Devil's Canyon review needs is old i5/i7 OC vs DC i5/i7 OC on some decent air cooler or perhaps water.

Hexus tests stock with stock cooling with a bunch of irrelevant tests. The only thing semi-useful was the power consumption.

I would suggest ALL a DC review needs is a DC and overclock/power/temp numbers. Again, not rocket science on the comparo.

I'd like to see a clear overclocked DC vs 2600k overclocked comparison. I know a lot of us have 2500/2600k's with decent to good overclocks and have had zero reason to upgrade since we built them.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz .... the only clear upgrade path for me in the 8 core / 16 tread with quad channel DDR4 @ 2133.

I was thinking yeah... I'll wait for Haswell-E 3 months ago. Now I'm actually dialing things back to one GPU maybe... MAYBE... we'll see how well 1 290x satisfies my Catleap but I'm optimistic.

I'm not really interested in the E platform at this point once I've had some time to think it over. It's fun sometimes to side grade and resell; but DDR4 doesn't look like much fun or much utility for a gamer, at least right now?

If I build a scratch rig it will be around an MSI XL-ATX XPower z97 board. Woulda waited for one but it won't fit in my mid-tower. If I go full tower I'm thinking Fractal Design. But Devil's Canyon is all about 5Ghz and I'm definitely in for that if that's in the realm of possibility; I'll roll the dice several times if the price is reasonable.

I'd like to see a clear overclocked DC vs 2600k overclocked comparison. I know a lot of us have 2500/2600k's with decent to good overclocks and have had zero reason to upgrade since we built them.

So you want clock to clock is what you are looking for? 2600K at max OC vs. 4790K at max OC? Not sure what you are looking for.

Yes I went through the pre-order process and got to the part where they wanted the payment information.

Let me see if I can't find the link again. It was sent to me today via email from Microcenter.

What about a very easy overclock of the 2600K to the base speed (4GHz) of the 4790K? If I'm correct, both would run turbo at 4.4GHz, right? That way both would run same speed and it will be easier to compare the benefits of upgrading.

Most of us runs 2600K at higher clock rates and the same will apply with the 4790K.

That might be a good approach as well. You'd see what the improvement was at the exact same clocks between the 2600k, 4770k and the new DC chips. Then just do a silicon lottery OC comparison since the rigs were setup anyways.

I think an average, under AIO/good air, 2600k overclock for most everyone is 4.7 and that wouldn't be terrible point to measure from. A similar measurement from the 4770k would be 4.6 and compare that to the new DC at stock turbo and also overclocked on good air/AIO.

4.6 is not average for a 4770k.

People think they're stable but they aren't half the time. avx2 Prime stable. 4.6 is rare and 4.7 is hella rare.

Nice, looks like a good replacement for my 3770k box. Looking forward to seeing temps and reviews. I hope Microcenter has a good deal on them.

The preorder is $280 with a "normal" price of $370.

Right now Newegg is trying to sell it for $340 and Amazon has it just north of $300?

I'd say YEAH.

For those of you who don't have a Micro Center or aren't familiar with them, while their brick and mortars are nothing special, their CPU prices are generally some of the best available.

4.6 is not average for a 4770k.

People think they're stable but they aren't half the time. avx2 Prime stable. 4.6 is rare and 4.7 is hella rare.

I probably misworded that - you are right. 4.6 on a 4770k is about as average as 4.7 on a 2600k. Both are solid and reasonably uncommon clocks. Perhaps running the 2600k and the 4770k at DC 4.4 turbo would be the best option.

Getting a little nervous Intel may not be hitting the targets they were hoping for with these processors. Hopefully by next week we will know for sure.

Anyone who wants to sell me their i7-4770k when they upgrade just let me know in PM :)

I am interested in this but at a hundred dollar premium over the current chips... I dunno. I struggle to remember the last time I spent more than $200 just on the CPU. I tend to target $150ish and try to overclock until it cries.

The preorder is $280 with a "normal" price of $370.

Right now Newegg is trying to sell it for $340 and Amazon has it just north of $300?

I'd say YEAH.

For those of you who don't have a Micro Center or aren't familiar with them, while their brick and mortars are nothing special, their CPU prices are generally some of the best available.

Amazon doesn't have it up yet. You're looking at the 4790 non-K.

A little off topic, but giving each of these model numbers that match non Devil's Canyon processors (just with a 'K' at the end) is a little silly imo.

I am going to swap my 4770k for this new 4790k when it drops!!!!

5GHZ please!!!!!

So on CPU comparisons.....If you know IB is ~7% faster than SB, and Haswell is ~7% faster than IB, why do you really want to compare those again, then on top of that run non-equivalent clocks to evaluate with? This just sort of baffles me.

Fair enough. So, what, just compare it to Haswell done deal then? I keep seeing each iteration stated as 7% faster, but 7% faster in what? Maybe we're just past CPUs having a big effect on games past SB.

We have been past CPUs having "big" effects on gaming for quite a while. Gaming has been GPU dependent for the most part for a good while now. That said, many multiplayer games like higher clocks, but even a SB at 4.4GHz is going to do just fine for you in almost any gaming situation.

A bit off topic here, but I would tell you that Z97 overall was worth about an extra 150MHz in terms of STABLE overclocking headroom on 4770K CPUs.

So all in all, if you are still running a SB at 4.5+, which MANY of you are, it is hard for me to sit here and tell you that Devil's Canyon is time to make the upgrade.

We still run 3770K parts in GPU comparison machines, but we did move to Haswell on machines that we use for dual, triple, or quad SLI/CF setups for the native Gen III PCIe.

Kyle

Can we get q6600, 920, 860, 2600k, 3770k, 4770k, x2 4600, 9500, 8350, 7850k comparison? Is that asking to much?

Just get to the overclocking already!

Myself I would love to try that Pentium DC part.

I really miss when I built my first DIY PC and tried to OC the hell out of the E4300. Good times, good times.

Kyle

Can we get q6600, 920, 860, 2600k, 3770k, 4770k, x2 4600, 9500, 8350, 7850k comparison? Is that asking to much?

Just get to the overclocking already!

And a Pentium 4 1.6A please.

Seriously. Give me a stock TDP overclock and temp, a Max overclock and temp, and ill be happy, My I7 920 @ 3Ghz should see a huge improvement even at stock.

Pretty sure somebody just messed up on the marketing slide.

No, it's the south bridge. There's no USB 3 integrated into the CPU, that's all on the southbridge, connected to the main processor through DMI.

The 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 still exist, just look at the next slides after that one.

And you folks asking for clock-for-clock comparisons between Haswell and Devil's Canyon are just thick as bricks. It's improved yields combined with a better integrated heat sink. It's not a new core rev, so performance per clock is the same :D

Kyle, if you would just compare overclocks and temps versus the 4770k, I think we would have everything we need.

HOWEVER, if they do send you a Pentium Anniversary Edition, it might be nice of you to test a couple of demanding games with both the overclocked dual-core and the quad core, and see how well it performs, since we now have this very credible inexpensive enthusiast option. No need to do a full comparison - just a couple demanding games like Metro and BF4 would be enough to see if 2 fast cores can still game :D

Last edited:
No, it's the south bridge. There's no USB 3 integrated into the CPU, that's all on the southbridge, connected to the main processor through DMI.

The 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 still exist, just look at the next slides after that one.

And you folks asking for clock-for-clock comparisons between Haswell and Devil's Canyon are just thick as bricks. It's improved yields combined with a better integrated heat sink. It's not a new core rev, so performance per clock is the same :D

Kyle, if you would just compare overclocks and temps versus the 4770k, I think we would have everything we need.

HOWEVER, if they do send you a Pentium Anniversary Edition, it might be nice of you to test a couple of demanding games with both the overclocked dual-core and the quad core, and see how well it performs, since we now have this very credible inexpensive enthusiast option. No need to do a full comparison - just a couple demanding games like Metro and BF4 would be enough to see if 2 fast cores can still game :D

Just to be clear, Intel has the processor specs on their webpage. You don't have to go by marketing slides:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

Just to be clear, Intel has the processor specs on their webpage. You don't have to go by marketing slides:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

Just an FYI, that exact same 4790k ARK page was actually showing me a max TDP of 95W very early this morning.. no idea why, though.

I'd be happy with this. Would still like a reviewer to try it out on Z87 w/BIOS update to see if there's any issues there as well.

This is as bad as clinging to Windows XP for some scenarios. DC is going to fit the bill perfectly for ancient SB setups that are powering current top of the line graphics cards.

This was comparing IB v HW, which means SB is even further behind. When using a GTX680, no real difference. But from there it changes...

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/haswell-v-ivy-gaming/9/

I see your point but considering the performance advantage from each successive generation is around 5%, buying a new processor, motherboard and copy of Windows (assuming youre running a OEM copy) and youre looking at a whole bunch of money for barely 10% more performance.

Now that doesnt in and of itself mean its not worth it. The "shiny new toy" factor is worth a lot. Most of us here wouldnt mind spending a couple hundred bones on something new and fun to play with so Im not saying there is absolutely no reason to upgrade but from a dollars an sense perspective, I dont think it would be worth it to move from a 4.6'ish 2600K to a 4.9 4790K considering the ~$600 price tag.

Would anyone be weary about grabbing one of these with a good MATX or ITX board, like the gryphon or something along those lines? I need an upgrade badly as I'm building a new PC but I don't want to jump on this if I'd be limited by a lower amount of phases with a smaller board. I'm aiming towards a 4690k.

Anyone have experience with heavy OCing on a small board?

Would anyone be weary about grabbing one of these with a good MATX or ITX board, like the gryphon or something along those lines? I need an upgrade badly as I'm building a new PC but I don't want to jump on this if I'd be limited by a lower amount of phases with a smaller board. I'm aiming towards a 4690k.

The Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5 boards look decent in mATX or mini ITX. Good value as well. Higher end VRM look at Asus mini ITX Maximus Z87 Impact or Asrock Z87m OC Formula. The Asus Mini ITX Impact Z87 is really a great high quality feature packed mother board.

I've quit the ATX a long time ago and since enjoy mATX. I never wanted to go SLI so... I use a RoG GENE-Z like you can read below and it's on par with any top boards, just look at benchmarks. The newer GENE VII looks awesome so like I posted earlier, I try to decide if I upgrade or skip until next big thing.

I gotta say, I'm using a Pentium G3420 (3.2Ghz) right now as a place-holder till the 4790k, and even at 3.2Ghz, it's a decent performer. Most of my games ran just fine, Bioshock ran amazingly well as did Crysis 3 and Hawken. That's with settings maxed or close to it. I can only imagine that dual-core overclocked to 5.2Ghz. Why doesn't intel make an i3 K chip? They may be testing the waters with this low-cost Pentium.

I gotta say, I'm using a Pentium G3420 (3.2Ghz) right now as a place-holder till the 4790k, and even at 3.2Ghz, it's a decent performer. Most of my games ran just fine, Bioshock ran amazingly well as did Crysis 3 and Hawken. That's with settings maxed or close to it. I can only imagine that dual-core overclocked to 5.2Ghz. Why doesn't intel make an i3 K chip? They may be testing the waters with this low-cost Pentium.
I dont see how Crysis 3 plays fine on that dual core. Crysis 3 pegged my oced 2500k at times dropping me into low 40 fps in the same spots I get 60 fps with my 4770k. I tried using just 2 cores of my cpu and was a choppy crappy mess and those 2 cores would be way faster than the G3420.

EDIT: And this backs up my findings as even the i3 2100 is taking crap only averaging 34 fps so a G3420 would really be suffering.

image upload no size limit

Last edited:
The way that is measured for the graphs is very critical. Gameplay runthrough and timedemo can be critically different for that evaluation.

Need moar cores. But I do video and other core hungry stuff.

So I'll be sticking with old x79 and my trusty 12 core beast. It's never let me down.

I can get stable 4.8 Ghz with my non-delided 4770k. Let's hope they've improved the TIM and we see 5 Ghz or higher. Either way I'm glad to see that socket 1150 wasn't a one hit wonder cause mine makes a great gaming rig.

Back