Intel Core i9-14900KS

And some people consider the $1000 price tag of that 4080 super to be ridiculously high.
Isn't it? 10 years ago an 80 class card cost you between $500-600. Now it's literally double that. I'm reasonably sure inflation hasn't been quite that bad.

Isn't it? 10 years ago an 80 class card cost you between $500-600. Now it's literally double that. I'm reasonably sure inflation hasn't been quite that bad.
10 years ago a Gtx 780 that launched ~$865 in today dollar yes.

But that the point if 380mm of TSMC special NVIDIA node that come with 16 GDDR6X on a mini computer with a giant fancy cooler costing $1000 is ridiculous, what does it say with 257mm of very modest node with nothing else costing the same ? (How much R&D happened between this and the original 13900k, can we imagine the margin we are talking about here...)

They are good reason, one is making and selling over a million unit, the other is a very niche product and so on, but because of the cpu pricing history (and that in the past so much more work went into their hand crafted design vs GPU that could get away with VHDL and launch a new generation every year and when they were just for work had none of the enterprise validation-security, etc... cost going on) it seems we are mentally way more lenient on the price and margin.

10 years ago a Gtx 780 that launched ~$865 in today dollar yes.
I'm certain that it was the GTX 980 that launched in November/December 2014 at an equivalent of $719 in today's money. $799 IMO is a reasonable price for the 4080 vanilla if all was said and done. But no, nVIDIA charged $1,200 for an 80 series card this generation. 50% more expensive? It's price gouging. Then again,
But that the point if 380mm of TSMC special NVIDIA node that come with 16 GDDR6X on a mini computer with a giant fancy cooler costing $1000 is ridiculous, what does it say with 257mm of very modest node with nothing else costing the same ? (How much R&D happened between this and the original 13900k, can we imagine the margin we are talking about here...)
We're talking about Apple-like margins at this point. I think we can agree on that? Intel is making a killing on these halo parts. Same for the Extremely Expensive editions of CPUs. I still remember parts like the Athlon 64 FX-62 or Intel's Core 2 Quad QX6700 costing an even thou. Pepperidge Farm remembers...
They are good reason, one is making and selling over a million unit, the other is a very niche product and so on, but because of the cpu pricing history (and that in the past so much more work went into their hand crafted design vs GPU that could get away with VHDL and launch a new generation every year and when they were just for work had none of the enterprise validation-security, etc... cost going on) it seems we are mentally way more lenient on the price and margin.
If one has the luxury of being lenient...

Last edited:
Back