Intel 14900K, 14700K, 14600K Reviews

I'm happy I waited for the release. But only because the 13900K price would come down after. I am happy I went with a 13900K

At least people won't be able to complain Intel supports this socket for only two generations 🤪

I'm disappointed to see the 14900k post such dismal gains when compared to my 13900k. But I'm still on DDR4 and kind of want to upgrade to DDR5 7200+, as I just started Cyberpunk. Was thinking of going all-out and grabbing a new Apex Encore mobo with a pair of super fast 8200 rated DIMMs. In this scenario, will I have a better chance at a high memory overclock if I also step up to the 14900k? Or will it simply not matter?

I'm disappointed to see the 14900k post such dismal gains when compared to my 13900k. But I'm still on DDR4 and kind of want to upgrade to DDR5 7200+, as I just started Cyberpunk. Was thinking of going all-out and grabbing a new Apex Encore mobo with a pair of super fast 8200 rated DIMMs. In this scenario, will I have a better chance at a high memory overclock if I also step up to the 14900k? Or will it simply not matter?
The only person I’ve seen try 8200 memory speeds was Frame Chasers on YouTube. He did a comparison of the 14900k vs 13900ks and a quick and dirty ram OC. Basically he got there but it likely needs tuned for stability. The cpu he has seems no better than a 13900ks for memory OC basically.

As someone that hasn't been keeping up to date with this stuff

What's your take on upgrading from a 12700k to a 14900k?

It's partially due to wanting more umph in my CPU, but also because my wife has a 3800x that's bottlenecking her 3080ti and I want to give her my current CPU/mobo/etc.

It's partially due to wanting more umph in my CPU, but also because my wife has a 3800x that's bottlenecking her 3080ti and I want to give her my current CPU/mobo/etc.
Probably would be a lot cheaper to just get her a 5800x3d.

Just keep in mind that Intel still does not have a consumer CPU with more than 8 performance cores. The main difference between the 14700k and 14900k for example is that the 14900k has more E cores, which are totally irrelevant for gaming, and even the majority of non-gaming tasks aren't multi-threaded enough to make use of so many slow E-Cores. On top of that you have a bit of artificial product segmentation with the boost clocks but that's about it.

I would say that the upgrade would only be worth it if you can drop it into your existing motherboard, otherwise it's not worth it to do another full platform upgrade just for the 14900k. The CPUs from Intel's current lineup consume a stupid amount of power, which is the entire reason why they had to resort the convoluted solution of putting the E-Cores on the chips in the first place - there is literally no way to power more than 8 P-Cores with their current tech, and even that is a stretch.

If you are going to do a full platform upgrade, then upgrade to AM5 IMO. Otherwise drop a new chip into your existing motherboard, and swap your wife's 3800x with a 5800X3D.

A drop in replacement to your current system and sell the 12700K? Sure go for it. If you're building a whole different PC going from 12700k to 14900k I would not do this.
Probably would be a lot cheaper to just get her a 5800x3d.
This.

Just keep in mind that Intel still does not have a consumer CPU with more than 8 performance cores. The main difference between the 14700k and 14900k for example is that the 14900k has more E cores, which are totally irrelevant for gaming, and even the majority of non-gaming tasks aren't multi-threaded enough to make use of so many slow E-Cores. On top of that you have a bit of artificial product segmentation with the boost clocks but that's about it.

I would say that the upgrade would only be worth it if you can drop it into your existing motherboard, otherwise it's not worth it to do another full platform upgrade just for the 14900k. The CPUs from Intel's current lineup consume a stupid amount of power, which is the entire reason why they had to resort the convoluted solution of putting the E-Cores on the chips in the first place - there is literally no way to power more than 8 P-Cores with their current tech, and even that is a stretch.

If you are going to do a full platform upgrade, then upgrade to AM5 IMO. Otherwise drop a new chip into your existing motherboard, and swap your wife's 3800x with a 5800X3D.
I do a lot of dev work on my pc, so it would get used albeit maybe not necessary. Gaming of course is always a priority but I already have overkill so not an issue.
Point missed.

Upgrade OP's main system and pass the current build down to the Mrs.

I'm spending $1K upgrading me for you.
This.

I don’t need an upgrade, she doesn’t want to spend the money on herself so this is the marriage workaround 🤣

Dropping AMD into my system isn’t out of the question… I’ve avoided that because windows is a pain when switching, and historically over my 20+ years of pc building, the overall experience has been better on Intel for me. Phenom burned me hard on amd, but I acknowledge my prejudice is based on out dated experience, especially with how well amd has been with things lately

I would get a 14700k instead of a 14900. The gap between the i7 and i9 in gaming, is pretty small with 14th gen. Techpowerup says only about 3%. Going from a 12700k to a 14700k would be a really solid and noticeable difference, for your 4090.

Coming from someone who had a 13900K and a 4090, even the i5 (13600K in my instance) is more than enough for a 4090.

Ah, so not really a question at all. Just wants us to rubber stamp his decision.
Was wanting to hear alternatives, which some have provided. Primary goal was to see if it was an upgrade at all, and if not, was going to look into AMDs options more, or maybe even trying 13 series since everything I'm hearing seems to be the same (but the price difference isn't significant enough not to just get the latest...but of course, that was my impression that needed confirming). There's also the fact she's not happy with her motherboard/case which I neglected to mention.

She doesn't want me to pay for it for her, but it's easier to "buy" her an upgrade if it's disguised as an upgrade for myself. Last time I bought her upgrades, she ended up buying me a 4090, which spurred a competition of sorts that I'd rather not do right now :ROFLMAO:

As I stated though, I haven't really kept up with the CPU market and what's actually great. So far it seems like 14700k may be the winner...so probably will buy a new case, cpu, mobo, and ddr5 ram during a microcenter trip this weekend to make it a fully worthy upgrade and ourselves setup nicely for a couple of years....maybe lol.

Was wanting to hear alternatives, which some have provided. Primary goal was to see if it was an upgrade at all, and if not, was going to look into AMDs options more, or maybe even trying 13 series since everything I'm hearing seems to be the same (but the price difference isn't significant enough not to just get the latest...but of course, that was my impression that needed confirming). There's also the fact she's not happy with her motherboard/case which I neglected to mention.

She doesn't want me to pay for it for her, but it's easier to "buy" her an upgrade if it's disguised as an upgrade for myself. Last time I bought her upgrades, she ended up buying me a 4090, which spurred a competition of sorts that I'd rather not do right now :ROFLMAO:

As I stated though, I haven't really kept up with the CPU market and what's actually great. So far it seems like 14700k may be the winner...so probably will buy a new case, cpu, mobo, and ddr5 ram during a microcenter trip this weekend to make it a fully worthy upgrade and ourselves setup nicely for a couple of years....maybe lol.
I'd personally wait to see if there are price cuts on 13th gen. As is 12th->13/14 is just basically a sidegrade for you anyways.

Ah, so not really a question at all. Just wants us to rubber stamp his decision.
The decision to upgrade his system and pass down his current parts to hers, sure, validated. We do this all the time.

So, suggesting a new AM4 cpu for her doesn't satisfy this, regardless of cost/performance benefit.

His other question was related to a 14th gen path. Which makes sense if you are going to get a new cpu today and prefer Intel. So, that's all down to opinion. My opinion:

Depending on his current MB, he could save a couple bucks getting her a new mid tier and middle of the road ram for the 12700k and drop a 14th into his current or go all out and get himself an new upper tier setup. Push the budget to $1200.

Where's her current system going? Another family member? Media center? Back up on the shelf? Sell to recoup a little cost?

So far it seems like 14700k may be the winner...so probably will buy a new case, cpu, mobo, and ddr5 ram during a microcenter trip this weekend to make it a fully worthy upgrade and ourselves setup nicely for a couple of years....maybe lol.

om6ehb6rbgei2382876n72dmha-db44ca2beca8413e5426052368b98236.png

The decision to upgrade his system and pass down his current parts to hers, sure, validated. We do this all the time.

So, suggesting a new AM4 cpu for her doesn't satisfy this, regardless of cost/performance benefit.

His other question was related to a 14th gen path. Which makes sense if you are going to get a new cpu today and prefer Intel. So, that's all down to opinion. My opinion:

Depending on his current MB, he could save a couple bucks getting her a new mid tier and middle of the road ram for the 12700k and drop a 14th into his current or go all out and get himself an new upper tier setup. Push the budget to $1200.

Where's her current system going? Another family member? Media center? Back up on the shelf? Sell to recoup a little cost?
Media center/home server. Been using an old lenovo w530 laptop for the purpose, it'll be nice to have something with upgradability once I slot in a spare 1660ti I have sitting around.

m.E.h...

y/A/w/N...

S...n...O...o...Z...e.....

just moar of intel's miniscule, mickey-mouse level incremental improvements AGAIN ....:inpain::cry::yuck::rage:

Refresh
Refinement

Rebadge.
No, it is refined. Just like the 13900KS isn't refreshed or rebadged, it's refined. It's the best version of its self. It is binned better to hit higher clock speeds and run faster DDR5 memory. That is the definition of refinement. You wanna hate go ahead. It is still the best version of a 14900K, and that is ok with me. Stability and tried n true platform now in it's final interaction. There is value in stability. A lot for someone like me.

I am finally going to be upgrading in January. I've loved Intel for a long time, but went with AMD with the AMD K6/2 and then the Athlon 64+. Other than that, it's been all Intel (ignore the Cyrix "Pentium Killer"). But, the lackluster performance on this and still requiring a complete upgrade (coming from an Intel 7700K build), I'm really looking to the AMD 7950x3D...

I was really looking forward to this CPU and hoping for quite a bit more of an upgrade on it vs. the previous CPU. Sure, it'd be one hell of an upgrade on my 7700K, but I feel the AMD might be a bit better...

I am definitely going with a full upgrade - Case, RAM, CPU, eNVM, cooling, GPU, mouse, mousepad... :) But, the 14900K was my CPU of choice and I was holding out for it. Very disappointed in this release. I have no knowledge of AMD lately, so I'd be going in blind. But, Intel screwed the pooch on this one.

Of course, I'm just one guy. At work, we're always an Intel shop... :) I'd love to remain Intel, but that's looking like less of a possibility. I had high hopes.

Refresh
Refinement

Rebadge.
No, it is refined. Just like the 13900KS isn't refreshed or rebadged, it's refined. It's the best version of its self. It is binned better to hit higher clock speeds and run faster DDR5 memory. That is the definition of refinement. You wanna hate go ahead. It is still the best version of a 14900K, and that is ok with me. Stability and tried n true platform now in it's final interaction. There is value in stability. A lot for someone like me.

You two have rebadged avatar names.

I am finally going to be upgrading in January. I've loved Intel for a long time, but went with AMD with the AMD K6/2 and then the Athlon 64+. Other than that, it's been all Intel (ignore the Cyrix "Pentium Killer"). But, the lackluster performance on this and still requiring a complete upgrade (coming from an Intel 7700K build), I'm really looking to the AMD 7950x3D...

I was really looking forward to this CPU and hoping for quite a bit more of an upgrade on it vs. the previous CPU. Sure, it'd be one hell of an upgrade on my 7700K, but I feel the AMD might be a bit better...

I am definitely going with a full upgrade - Case, RAM, CPU, eNVM, cooling, GPU, mouse, mousepad... :) But, the 14900K was my CPU of choice and I was holding out for it. Very disappointed in this release. I have no knowledge of AMD lately, so I'd be going in blind. But, Intel screwed the pooch on this one.

Of course, I'm just one guy. At work, we're always an Intel shop... :) I'd love to remain Intel, but that's looking like less of a possibility. I had high hopes.
If you don't need 16 cores for productivity work-------get a 7800x3D for gaming. Same gaming performance. A lot lower cost. And no tweaking reuired for best performance.

Currently using 10700k, what would you guys pick as an upgrade? I only game.

for Intel, I would get a 13700k. Same gaming performance as the 14700k, but a fair bit less power usage.

For AMD, the 7800X3D is regularly $350 or less, now. Uses way less power than Intel. Matches or beats 14900k in gaming. except for a small number of games, where Intel has an big advantage (Starfield).

Last edited:
Honestly the 14600K CPU and 7000Mhz RAM with a new refreshed Z790 board would be sweet if you're Intel. You can juice it up and the new boards are packed with bells and whistles if you get a good one.

Back