Industrial Robot vs Sword Master

I think they are trying to show off how precise the robot arms can be, because the more precise they are, obviously the more jobs they can do. It means they can produce for example far more consistent and precise welds than and average human welder, and work all day and all night 24x7x365 without unionizing and striking or smoking weed on breaks like those UAW employees here in the US were caught doing or jumping off of buildings like in China.

So reliability and precision of movement are the key factors in those robotic arms.

Of course they have to use a samurai sword though... nothing against them, I have two mounted on my wall at home, its just a shame that they get holy-relic status while Europeans at their peak actually had superior steel, sword, and armor technology with an absolute tremendous amount of diversity allowing for specialization, yet they get no respect. A katana is kind of a jack of all trades pretty durable, OK thrusting, medium reach, one or two handed, good slicing saber. But Europeans had developed really great quality steel thanks to advances in forging technology, and had a TON of swords specifically designed for a specific task (horsed/foot, armored/unuarmored opponent, shield/dual-hand, straight/curved, military/civilian-carry, with some specialized just for thrusting or just slicing, and from real short to extra reach and just like a combat fighter or bomber are usually better than all-purpose military aircraft the specialization made them kings at their jobs). /rantoff

Would have been more interesting if they fought each other:)

Most other countries' swords don't have a religion build around them, so obviously they suck.

Well if popular fiction has taught us anything it's that those swords can only be made by a master swordsmith and by any old automated process so we're good to go :D

Ktanas were designed to cut, but they aren't some mythical sword like many people make them out to be.

That's why you always see them cutting easy things like bamboo/flowers and other things.

The whole idea of Katana's being some mystical super-amazing swords is a myth that got so many fanboys thanks to movies/anime and things.

It was not designed to go through heavy things or something like Plate armor.

A guy in plate armor would be pretty impervious to a guy using a katana, but they didn't make them for that.

A katana is the best peasant cutter there is. Its a high carbon steel sword that is prone to crack under any extensive use. It is super high maintenance which is why ironically it was the weapon of last resort on the battlefield.

If I am to learn how to fight with a sword, I would rather pick any art other than the ones used for katana. You have to waste too much time learning how to parry with the back of the sword to prevent critically damaging the sword.

Of course they have to use a samurai sword though... nothing against them, I have two mounted on my wall at home, its just a shame that they get holy-relic status while Europeans at their peak actually had superior steel, sword, and armor technology with an absolute tremendous amount of diversity allowing for specialization, yet they get no respect.

I usually disagree with you, but now I find I have some common ground with you. Agree totally on the European arms vs Katana. However, this industrial robot is from "over there", so naturally they're going to use a Katana. If it were an English robot, I'd expect a longsword, preferably of the Oakeshott XIIa type. I'd put one of those against a Katana for cutting any day.

That's why you always see them cutting easy things like bamboo/flowers and other things.

What they're cutting are tatami mats, which is known as tameshigiri. It's to simulate the resistance a human arm or neck would provide when cutting with a sword, or a leg if more mats are used. The flower is to demonstrate precision of the swordsman and sharpness of the blade. An improper stroke would not cut the flower, but would bend or break the stalk. Same with a dull blade. A dull blade going into free-standing fruit would simply pitch it.

What this guy is doing is the real deal. It's not fanboi crap. Show a little respect.

It was not designed to go through heavy things or something like Plate armor.
Considering that the Japanese did not have heavy plate armor because iron ore is rather scarce, no. They took what worked and worked well for their style of combat and perfected it the best they could. If their geography and geology differed then things would have gone differently. Don't forget that the Katana was the Samurai's personal defensive weapon, not their primary offensive weapon. That would be the bow or spear, just as the pikeman and archer were the primary war fighters in Europe - not the mounted knight.

A guy in plate armor would be pretty impervious to a guy using a katana, but they didn't make them for that.

A guy in plate armor is pretty impervious to a guy using ANY sword, with the exception of some of the more massive claymores the Scots developed. Some of those were 8 foot long with a 3" wide blade and were used for knocking the legs out from under a horse, then used to basically bash the knight with tremendous force to knock him down and out before finishing with a skean dhu. Historically, you took someone in plate armor down with a blunt weapon like a hammer or mace, the hammer or axe end of a pole-arm, used a snare, or once dismounted, a pole-arm with a hook for grabbing behind the knee where the armor was very weak. Once you had him wounded and on the ground you finished him with a thin dagger to the neck, under the arm, or through the eye slits in the visor, or if you were using a halberd or other weighted pole-arm you'd deliver a hard blow across the torso where the shock would cause organ ruptures and internal bleeding. When the longbow was developed you just put an arrow in him, and when firearms were developed plate armor was made obsolete.

Swords are made for cutting flesh and bone, not plate steel. If you really needed to use a sword on someone wearing plate, you'd reverse it and swing it from the blade side and use the pommel or crossbar like a hammer and try to strike the head, or you'd half-sword and try to pierce the chain armor beneath the armpit with a strong thrust. Yes, I know swinging from the blade end sounds like you'd cut your hand, but in combat leather gloves were worn and it's a historically documented practice.

So anyways, yes. It's rather impressive what they can do with the robot. that's a lot of mass to balance and shift that precisely without having problems with vibration and counter-balance. Very artistic demonstration as well. 1,000 cuts is just brutal. I hope they gave Isao some water after that.

True, true, you gotta pimp your heritage. Speaking of, I'd like to see a Mercedes factory robot arm take on their katana armed one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCaJdYZmCU

Deutschland, Deutschland, Ueber alles! :p
Once you had him wounded and on the ground you finished him with a thin dagger to the neck, under the arm, or through the eye slits in the visor
Screw that, you tell him to yield and raise his visor, and if he says he's from a reasonably well to do family like most were that could afford that kind of armor, you ransom him and make a fortune! :D

the katanas are made through a lot of folding and hammering during the forging process. it was mandatory in japan because they have no quality steel sources. Recall that they ran out of it during world war 2. damascus steel is the western version of the same process.

What they're cutting are tatami mats, which is known as tameshigiri. It's to simulate the resistance a human arm or neck would provide when cutting with a sword, or a leg if more mats are used. The flower is to demonstrate precision of the swordsman and sharpness of the blade. An improper stroke would not cut the flower, but would bend or break the stalk. Same with a dull blade. A dull blade going into free-standing fruit would simply pitch it.

What this guy is doing is the real deal. It's not fanboi crap. Show a little respect.

I never commented on anything about what the guy did or his skills.

He does have skills (his name is Isao Machii) and I have seen videos of him doing amazing things. He has an extremely quick reaction time.

My point was that any sword period still abides by the laws of physics. Hitting a sharp edge of the sword on something hard enough will nick it over time and lead to fractures and eventual failure, not to mention its a great way to dull a blade.

Considering that the Japanese did not have heavy plate armor because iron ore is rather scarce, no. They took what worked and worked well for their style of combat and perfected it the best they could. If their geography and geology differed then things would have gone differently. Don't forget that the Katana was the Samurai's personal defensive weapon, not their primary offensive weapon. That would be the bow or spear, just as the pikeman and archer were the primary war fighters in Europe - not the mounted knight.

That was my entire point, the Katana wasn't made to go against plate or the defense that Europeans had, they used what they had and made ti the best they could.

I am fully aware of how important bows and Spears are.

Hell spears probably get the least recognition when it comes to melee combat yet they are one of the best and most widely used weapons all over the world.

A guy in plate armor is pretty impervious to a guy using ANY sword, with the exception of some of the more massive claymores the Scots developed. Some of those were 8 foot long with a 3" wide blade and were used for knocking the legs out from under a horse, then used to basically bash the knight with tremendous force to knock him down and out before finishing with a skean dhu. Historically, you took someone in plate armor down with a blunt weapon like a hammer or mace, the hammer or axe end of a pole-arm, used a snare, or once dismounted, a pole-arm with a hook for grabbing behind the knee where the armor was very weak. Once you had him wounded and on the ground you finished him with a thin dagger to the neck, under the arm, or through the eye slits in the visor, or if you were using a halberd or other weighted pole-arm you'd deliver a hard blow across the torso where the shock would cause organ ruptures and internal bleeding. When the longbow was developed you just put an arrow in him, and when firearms were developed plate armor was made obsolete.

I am fully aware of this. My point was that the Katana, contrary to popular belief isn't some kind of mythical lightsaber that can cut through anything. Neither are European swords.

There's a large variety of sword types, some made for thrusting, some for cut and thrust, curved, straight, etc. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

However all of them abide by the same laws of physics and the Katana isn't some mythical super sword compared to many other types of swords at what it does.

Swords are made for cutting flesh and bone, not plate steel. If you really needed to use a sword on someone wearing plate, you'd reverse it and swing it from the blade side and use the pommel or crossbar like a hammer and try to strike the head, or you'd half-sword and try to pierce the chain armor beneath the armpit with a strong thrust. Yes, I know swinging from the blade end sounds like you'd cut your hand, but in combat leather gloves were worn and it's a historically documented practice.

Not all swords were made for simply cutting flesh and bone. The Estoc for example, developed with it's long tapered blade and focused on a tip for thrusting against armor and into the weak areas of plate.

What you are referring to is "Half swording" which is the technique of grabbing above the hilt on the blade.

When half swording you used the sword more like a spear and the goal was to get the opponent down and then thrust it into a weak area (usually the groin, arm pit, neck, or visor slit).

You also could use the pommel to provide strikes and other things as well when half swording. Among many other things such as trapping his weapon, trips, etc.

My post was not meant to call out the guys skill or any such thing but rather the sense of the Katana being some amazing sword that beats all other swords at everything,

^ always have to get the last word in eh? That sure was a lot of effort to say that you were misunderstood and you know more than he does.

^ always have to get the last word in eh? That sure was a lot of effort to say that you were misunderstood and you know more than he does.

Maybe it's the fact that I enjoy talking about history? Always like learning more and talking on the subject and didn't mean any disrespect.

I'm just passionate about those things and enjoy talking about the subject.

My post was not meant to call out the guys skill or any such thing but rather the sense of the Katana being some amazing sword that beats all other swords at everything,

No offense, but...Was anyone here actually saying that, though?

You sound knowledgeable, and I appreciate your informative post. :)

Always glad to help inform. The history of arms is fascinating to me. :)

I am fully aware
Of this I am glad! By your reply to my reply you're showing more education on this matter than your original post implied. :cool:

What you are referring to is "Half swording" which is the technique of grabbing above the hilt on the blade.

When half swording you used the sword more like a spear and the goal was to get the opponent down and then thrust it into a weak area (usually the groin, arm pit, neck, or visor slit).

That's why I said half-swording OR using pommel strikes. I do know the difference. :)

You also could use the pommel to provide strikes and other things as well when half swording. Among many other things such as trapping his weapon, trips, etc.
Indeed, as any student of arms should know. The whole sword is a weapon, not just the blade.

I understand. I think the only Katana that would qualify for that would be Speedy's magical Ginzu Sword. :D

That is an amazing exhibition of technology and martial arts.

It was awesome.

And here I was thinking Geralt was just being silly in the first Witcher when he did this with the upgraded heavy attack stance (the one intended for armored targets). The more you know...

I think they are trying to show off how precise the robot arms can be, because the more precise they are, obviously the more jobs they can do. It means they can produce for example far more consistent and precise welds than and average human welder, and work all day and all night 24x7x365 without unionizing and striking or smoking weed on breaks like those UAW employees here in the US were caught doing or jumping off of buildings like in China.

36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

•Weekends
•All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
•Paid Vacation
•FMLA
•Sick Leave
•Social Security
•Minimum Wage
•Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
•8-Hour Work Day
•Overtime Pay
•Child Labor Laws
•Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
•40 Hour Work Week
•Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
•Unemployment Insurance
•Pensions
•Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
•Employer Health Care Insurance
•Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
•Wrongful Termination Laws
•Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
•Whistleblower Protection Laws
•Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
•Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
•Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
•Sexual Harassment Laws
•Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
•Holiday Pay
•Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
•Privacy Rights
•Pregnancy and Parental Leave
•Military Leave
•The Right to Strike
•Public Education for Children
•Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
•Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Proud UAW member here!

Proud UAW member here!
Yeah, that's all complete nonsense, and I actually earn my living and compete with others based on the quality of my work as an individual. Congratulations on being a driving force in GM, Chrysler, and Ford's tens of billions in losses, ridiculous wages for unskilled labor at $75/hr (base + benefits), with poor quality control and higher assembly error rates per JDPowers than non-Union Honda and Toyota factories right here in the United States, where work ethic and skill is divorced from compensation since all that really matters is you don't step on anyones toes, know the right people to get the job, don't do more work than you're supposed to, and stay there for a long time. I'm glad that my taxes went to support the continued leaching on American industries though, I didn't really need a new TV anyway.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...aught-doping-drinking----again/1#.VXMYds9VhBc
The Fox TV station in Detroit has again caught on video Chrysler union workers smoking dope and drinking before work and on their lunch break.

This time it was not in a public park, but in the parking lot of their nearby United Auto Workers union hall, before they headed back to finish their shift at Chrysler Group's Trenton engine plant that builds the new Fiat 4-cylinder for world use.

FOX 2 reporter Rob Wolchek says he got calls from two workers in the plant who told him that working with people who have been getting high is dangerous.

This is the same Fox reporter who last fall caught workers at Chrysler's Jefferson North Plant in Detroit spending their lunch hour drinking beer before going back to build the newly launched Jeep Grand Cherokee.
187xa7x78ftd3jpg.jpg

UAW forced Chrysler to rehire these workers that were fired for blatantly lazy work culture drinking and getting high on the job.

Yeah, that's all complete nonsense, and I actually earn my living and compete with others based on the quality of my work as an individual. Congratulations on being a driving force in GM, Chrysler, and Ford's tens of billions in losses, ridiculous wages for unskilled labor at $75/hr (base + benefits), with poor quality control and higher assembly error rates per JDPowers than non-Union Honda and Toyota factories right here in the United States, where work ethic and skill is divorced from compensation since all that really matters is you don't step on anyones toes, know the right people to get the job, don't do more work than you're supposed to, and stay there for a long time. I'm glad that my taxes went to support the continued leaching on American industries though, I didn't really need a new TV anyway.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...aught-doping-drinking----again/1#.VXMYds9VhBc

187xa7x78ftd3jpg.jpg

UAW forced Chrysler to rehire these workers that were fired for blatantly lazy work culture drinking and getting high on the job.

Right on bro!

I have 99.5% of those "perks" as well...and thankfully I am NOT in a union, my god it's 2015, we don't NEED union's anymore. Plus, I would never join one anyway.

The 8 hour work day / 40 hour work week can suck it. Three tens. We spend too much of our lives at work.

The 8 hour work day / 40 hour work week can suck it. Three tens. We spend too much of our lives at work.

I would have killed for a 40 hour week when I was in the military. By the time I got out I was averaging 70 hours...and most other NCOs were in the same boat. This didn't factor in the hour long (one way) drive to/from work since the base was in the middle of nowhere.

Deployed hours were always 120+ a week. I was always jealous of those fuckers at places like Al Udeid or Kuwait and their normalized duty schedules (not to mention pools and movie theaters).

36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

•Weekends
•All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
•Paid Vacation
•FMLA
•Sick Leave
•Social Security
•Minimum Wage
•Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
•8-Hour Work Day
•Overtime Pay
•Child Labor Laws
•Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
•40 Hour Work Week
•Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
•Unemployment Insurance
•Pensions
•Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
•Employer Health Care Insurance
•Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
•Wrongful Termination Laws
•Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
•Whistleblower Protection Laws
•Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
•Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
•Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
•Sexual Harassment Laws
•Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
•Holiday Pay
•Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
•Privacy Rights
•Pregnancy and Parental Leave
•Military Leave
•The Right to Strike
•Public Education for Children
•Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
•Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Proud UAW member here!

Unions are garbage; Just ask any of the auto-industry folks up north.

I am lazy by nature, so from a pure short-term self-interest perspective I support Unions.:D

I have a nice old Katana. it's red and has a 750cc engine.

As someone who used to think like ducman on unions, you guys are uninformed. The problem is most people only know about unskilled labor unions, which yes are a blight. However up here there are also skilled labor unions and those are a night and day difference. Not all unions are bad. I've never worked for one and never will due to my career, but I know the difference between the good ones and the bad.

Back