Increase unlock range for 6950 after Cat 12.2?

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
How do you increase the overclock/sliders for a 6950 after Catalyst 12.2? All the methods I used before do not work, I tried the copying the 2 DLL's trick but I still can't OC past 840 core.

I've been using the Asus BIOS and Asus SmartDoctor to reset the limits after every driver update. Still works for both my XFX 6950s.

How do you increase the overclock/sliders for a 6950 after Catalyst 12.2? All the methods I used before do not work, I tried the copying the 2 DLL's trick but I still can't OC past 840 core.

Asus GPU tweak should be able to do what you want. (OC range adjustment is a check box in the settings menu), this is the tweak utility that shipped with my 7950 (Smart Dr didn't seem to work with new card/12.3). When I went back to my 6950 (RMA'd the 7950), I used GPU tweak to unlock the range adjustments...Then did my actual overclocking with MSI afterburner, since GPU tweak wouldn't let me adjust voltages as I wanted.

Racerx utility will patch the reg to expand the ranges...

also msi afterburner with the /xcl option will do the same, its a bit flakey though...

Weird Asus smartdoctor is what I was using to do it before, but ever since 12.2 it does not work, Smartdoctor won't even open.

I don't know which card you have but it's best to flash it as mine runs the HD6970 bios and it's always at 880Mhz

Flashing a 6970 Bios increases the memory voltage and can destroy the card (I have one dead one in my possession).

I run the unlocked 6950 bios and overclock afterwards.

Weird Asus smartdoctor is what I was using to do it before, but ever since 12.2 it does not work, Smartdoctor won't even open.

Yeah, Asus seems to have switched to GPU tweak for the 7xxx series, and GPU Tweak does work with 12.2+ so far for unlocking OC limits.

I have been using gpu tweak with my 6950. I like it a lot better than smartdoctor (sd never made it past an hour before it was uninstalled). The one thing I wish they would have would be an option for sloped fan ramp but you can put as many steps in there that you want so it works fine.

Back