I'm stupid with this, help a brotha out

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
My last TV Tuner card was a Hauppauge 150MCE. Now, I wouldn't be coming here for help if it wasn't for the fact that once I upgrade my Vista machine to 6GB of RAM, the card refuses to work. Found out it was something to do with the PCI slot, 4GB+, and Hauppauge's general fail. Awesome.

- With that said, what's a good card in the $100 range (less would be good too)? I'm seeing a bunch of digital tuners, which is fine but I have no idea how they work.
- Can I hook up traditional cable and/or have OTA digital signal picked up?
- Will it also work with more than 4GB+ of RAM under Vista/Windows 7 64-bit?
- PCI-e or USB, whatever you think is best?
- Can I hook up a PS2 or another console to it now or will there still be a lag like the 150MCE?

what hardware are you using for your rig?

- Asus P5W DH Deluxe
- Q6700 oc'd to 3.00GHz
- 6GB RAM
- 320GB Hard Drive
- Samsung DVD burner (SATA)
- Integrated sound (still using crappy speakers, for now)
- Asus HD4870 512MB DK

My last TV Tuner card was a Hauppauge 150MCE. Now, I wouldn't be coming here for help if it wasn't for the fact that once I upgrade my Vista machine to 6GB of RAM, the card refuses to work. Found out it was something to do with the PCI slot, 4GB+, and Hauppauge's general fail. Awesome.

- With that said, what's a good card in the $100 range (less would be good too)? I'm seeing a bunch of digital tuners, which is fine but I have no idea how they work.
- Can I hook up traditional cable and/or have OTA digital signal picked up?
- Will it also work with more than 4GB+ of RAM under Vista/Windows 7 64-bit?
- PCI-e or USB, whatever you think is best?
- Can I hook up a PS2 or another console to it now or will there still be a lag like the 150MCE?

This may be not as helpful as you would like, but the 2250 from the same brand seems to work well for most people (I do not own this card but will shortly). It has 2 onboard tuners so you can record one show and watch another or record two shows at the same time.

I personally have the ATI Wonder 650 PCI-Express. It works great with the computer in my sig (so your 4+ gig issues and Vista 64 bit are no problem)

As far as the rest of your concerns, I am no expert on this subject matter and will leave it open for others to give you more info.

As far as hooking up a PS2...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the models that have hardware mpeg encoding are going to lag. This is due to the encoding being done. I believe, in that case, a software encoding card would be better. But you don't want a software encoding card for TV.

As far as hooking up a PS2...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the models that have hardware mpeg encoding are going to lag. This is due to the encoding being done. I believe, in that case, a software encoding card would be better. But you don't want a software encoding card for TV.

Correct.

Back