I'm going with the GTX280

Spoonie_G

Limp Gawd
Not that anyone cares but I'm choosing the GTX280 over the ATI 4870 (even with the price difference). The reason is because the 4870 runs so bloody hot. I'm not sure if the GTX280 run as hot as the ATI but I haven't read about any complaints about the GTX280's heat. And the GTX280 is also faster. Am I a fool for paying more for the GTX280 over the ATI 4870?

There have been some complaints about GTX 280 overheating. I did have to RMA on of my GTX 280's because of a strange little problem not sure that it was because of heat.

At any rate, I think that the GTX 280 is a great card, its not slow. With three, there's nothing I can't crush. The main problem is the cost. The 4870x2 is on the way and that should drive down the cost of the 280 some more if you wait a bit.

Do what you can..Be aware of the price shifts lately but when you get one,this card is AWESOME!!

i love the card and i would suggest anyone nab it over the 4870 if they can afford it. NOT because it runs cooler though. this chip runs damn warm. i have rma'd two of them due to overheating issues. now that i have a working one though, it is an amazing card.

My third GTX 280 will be here later this week because of RMA for overheating. My last one was 105C after gaming for about 10 minutes. It made the game way too choppy to play. The GTX 280 is just as bad if not worse for overheating issues.

It's an excellent card, especially sub 400 with live cashback. At 500 or more, heck no, but the added ram is nice and the extra speed bit is not bad. I am actually going from a 4870 to a 280 again, but because of the drivers, not speed or heat so much. It has some advantages but that is the clincher for me.

You might read the 4870x2 preview... I like Nvidia, but that's a really nice card..

Anyone try reapplying thermal paste too see if that was the problem with heat ?

My third GTX 280 will be here later this week because of RMA for overheating. My last one was 105C after gaming for about 10 minutes. It made the game way too choppy to play. The GTX 280 is just as bad if not worse for overheating issues.

Thanks bro.........not that I'm not sold on the 4870x2 that's coming out.......I'm definitely not gonna buy a 280.

You might read the 4870x2 preview... I like Nvidia, but that's a really nice card..
and even hotter. the reviews that actually reported temps had 91C idle and 94C load. once they fix the powerplay the idle will come down but damn I hate hot running components and over 200 degrees Fahrenheit under load is ridiculous as for as Im concerned. :eek:

GTX 280 is an awesome card but under load it's hotter than hell. Don't think it isn't.

and even hotter. the reviews that actually reported temps had 91C idle and 94C load. once they fix the powerplay the idle will come down but damn I hate hot running components and over 200 degrees Fahrenheit under load is ridiculous as for as Im concerned. :eek:

You can just mod the bios and turn up the fan speed to lower the temps. Or you could get an aftermarket cooler. Or you could just go to Watercooling. Unless you plan to OC, if you buy it from someone with a 3 year warrenty, why should you care about the temps? Power usage, and the heat load put into your house won't change based on the temps.

There have been some complaints about GTX 280 overheating. I did have to RMA on of my GTX 280's because of a strange little problem not sure that it was because of heat.

At any rate, I think that the GTX 280 is a great card, its not slow. With three, there's nothing I can't crush. The main problem is the cost. The 4870x2 is on the way and that should drive down the cost of the 280 some more if you wait a bit.

3 GTX280's? Holy mother-of-Jesus! Tell me you can play Crysis @ 1900X1200 fully maxed?

You can just mod the bios and turn up the fan speed to lower the temps. Or you could get an aftermarket cooler. Or you could just go to Watercooling. Unless you plan to OC, if you buy it from someone with a 3 year warrenty, why should you care about the temps? Power usage, and the heat load put into your house won't change based on the temps.
ok if temps shouldnt matter then why are there aftermarket coolers and watercooling? I hate hot running components and I know there are plenty of people that feel the same way. ;)

I dont understand why people are willing to invest 1500$ for video cards but wont invest in a WC setup (300$ for a good one).

My 8800GTX went from 70C load to 37C load on water, im sure the same could be said about the GTX280....

I dont understand why people are willing to invest 1500$ for video cards but wont invest in a WC setup (300$ for a good one)

Maybe because water cooling can be an inconvenient PITA? I water cooled for 3 years.

my old 8800GT overheating and crashed like crazy STOCK.. until i used riva tuner to boost the fan speed to 100% in games.... all these cards run real hot...

Not that anyone cares but I'm choosing the GTX280 over the ATI 4870 (even with the price difference). The reason is because the 4870 runs so bloody hot. I'm not sure if the GTX280 run as hot as the ATI but I haven't read about any complaints about the GTX280's heat. And the GTX280 is also faster. Am I a fool for paying more for the GTX280 over the ATI 4870?

The overheating issues seem to be from defective cards in some cases of over 100C....I think the normal max temp for these seems to be about 80's right? Anyway, I've been thinking this as well, I tried a 4870 as some of you might know and returned it the same day! I can tell you my room literallyy got hotter within about 5 minutes than I've ever had it and the card was almost too hot to touch/pull out. No doubt the 4870's have some thermal issues, but I would say probably so do Nvidias current gen.

My plan is to wait till the die shrink (for nvidia) then jump on a cheap 260 bor even possibly a 280b. I also like nvidia better for DV and their desktop management.

my old 8800GT overheating and crashed like crazy STOCK.. until i used riva tuner to boost the fan speed to 100% in games.... all these cards run real hot...

Ya, what he said. But if we wait long enough they'll make them run cooler, case in point: 8800gts 640 vs 9600gt...the GT performs better than the original GTS and SOOOOOOO much cooler it's ridiculous. My GTS idled and maxxed in the 70's to 80's...my GT idles in the 40's and tops in low 50's and it's passively cooled!

Maybe because water cooling can be an inconvenient PITA? I water cooled for 3 years.

Ya, not only is it a PITA but also I found WC to be LOUDER than my fans anyway and not even cool any better than a good aircooling setup; so I think air cooling is quieter, cheaper, safer and about as cool (AS cool in the 2 setups I tried)

Ya, what he said. But if we wait long enough they'll make them run cooler, case in point: 8800gts 640 vs 9600gt...the GT performs better than the original GTS and SOOOOOOO much cooler it's ridiculous. My GTS idled and maxxed in the 70's to 80's...my GT idles in the 40's and tops in low 50's and it's passively cooled!

MY TWIN 9600GT'S run very cool with acceleros

hey man, I just read this at guru 3D review of 260:

In idle you can expect a temperature of 45-50 Degrees C. Pretty normal. Yet once we push the GPU to 100%, the temperatures take a pretty hefty toll and settle at ~75 Degrees C. This fine.

I'm liking this card! It's cool the power management it has.

READ

I'll be honest, my GTSs have S1 Rev 2s on them, and they dropped around 30C off idle and load temps. And thier quiter too!

My 280 with the stock cooling, clocked at stock speed, hit a high of 70C max temp playing Crysis. (With fan at 100%)

As long as your card dosen't cross 100C, you got a good one...

If you water cool...
280's in a loop by themselves will run loaded under 40C, and in a loop with a OC'ed Q6600 around 50C. :)

There have been a few bad 280's with heat issues crossing 100C, but I think the lion's share have been good working cards maxing out around 70C, depending on your case.

Ya, not only is it a PITA but also I found WC to be LOUDER than my fans anyway and not even cool any better than a good aircooling setup; so I think air cooling is quieter, cheaper, safer and about as cool (AS cool in the 2 setups I tried)

I would have liked to see your water cooling rig... :)

I believe water is trhe best cooling system. Quiet, efficient and easy to maintain. The trick is to buy a good water system not a cheap pump and radiator. my system is quiet and my gtx280 runs 52 degrees under load, cpu 49 degrees. if the unit leaks the coolant i use is non conductive, so it will not fry the components. in three years never had a leak. as these card become more power hungry the only way to cool is with water.

I believe water is trhe best cooling system. Quiet, efficient and easy to maintain. The trick is to buy a good water system not a cheap pump and radiator. my system is quiet and my gtx280 runs 52 degrees under load, cpu 49 degrees. if the unit leaks the coolant i use is non conductive, so it will not fry the components. in three years never had a leak. as these card become more power hungry the only way to cool is with water.

any good all in one water kits out there u like?

My 4870 runs around 50 C idle. Have yet to see it go above 70 under load. I don't see that as bloody hot for a GPU. And that is at 30% constant fan speed. I can't even hear it.

Then it sounds like you were doing it wrong. :)

I'm running an HD4870 with 790 GPU/ 1090 MEM overclock on a D-Tek block. I see 33c idle and 38c load using ATI's CCC to monitor temps. Load was taken after running Age of Conan for 2 hours.

I'll wager you can hit similar temps on the GTX 280 on water with a good setup.

8800gts 640 vs 9600gt...the GT performs better than the original GTS and SOOOOOOO much cooler it's ridiculous. My GTS idled and maxxed in the 70's to 80's...my GT idles in the 40's and tops in low 50's and it's passively cooled!

Isn't the 9600gt slower than the 8800gts 640? I know my 8800gt was a hella of alot louder and warmer than my gts 640.

Isn't the 9600gt slower than the 8800gts 640? I know my 8800gt was a hella of alot louder and warmer than my gts 640.

9600 GT is faster than the 8800 GT, which puts it faster than the 8800 GTS 640. About the same as a 8800 GTS 512 iirc.

My bad, 8800 GTS 640 < 9600 GT < 8800 GT < 8800 GTS 512.

Who can remember with that clear and effective naming scheme.

My bad, 8800 GTS 640 < 9600 GT < 8800 GT < 8800 GTS 512.

Who can remember with that clear and effective naming scheme.

That is my biggest gripe agaisnt nVIDIA.

Real effective marketing, naming and pricing department :rolleyes:

Back