I'm a convert: Auzentech Bravura vs "Supreme FX II (onboard)". First (real) soundcard

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
(this is for the desktop in sig)

My thinking was, as I'm sure is the case with many [H] members, I dropped $280 on this motherboard, which is absurd, so absurd that it must do whatever it does well. Indeed: 470MHz FSB, dual 16X PCI-E 2.0 lanes, ICH9R, raid 0, 1, and 5, 12-phase CPU power regulation, a fuckin massive Northbridge cooler. What this board does, it does in fact do very well.

And it does sound, so, following that logic...

Well it does not do sound well. In fact it does it very poorly. My thoughts were that, because both the op-amps and the DACs are done entirely in silicon, their performance must be proportional to the growth of the rest of the silicon industry.

I bought an Auzentek Bravura to replace the "Supreme FX II" stock Asus Maximus Forumla audio card whose 3.5mm audio jack was worn through. (I actually RMA'd the card, explaining exactly what happened to the guy on the phone, and, props to Asus, they said they'd replace it for me. Well they didn't replace it, they sent me a whole fucking new board, sans the audio card :rolleyes:) The Supreme FX II has got its own daughter board and comes with a chip that isn't from the Realtek ALC-800 family --its even got its own EMI shield.

As I've mentioned previously on these boards I was in an electrical engineering program, and my thoughts were, while I've never been sure exactly whats going on with depletion layers in the silicon of op-amps, i just figured that with such a huge degree of control over silicon production, modern DAC's and modern amps must be great. I'm fully aware of the difference in "quality" an equalizer can give you; boost everything below 100Hz and everything above 16000Hz and you'll get people swearing its an entirely new system. O always figured anyone talking about how epic vinyl is and how $200 amps are great are the same people saying that their HDTV is better than mine because their HDMI cabling has only the finest gold-plated gas-injected free-range grain-fed copper. I was wrong.

This setup, simply 192 kbit mp3 + Auzentek Bravura + audio Technica ATH-A700... I've got some friends who play guitar, and I've been to my fair share of concerts (granted, I'm a bigger Red Hot Chili's fan than a Hans Zimmer fan), and this is better (from a sound quality perspective at least) than both of those things live. When I can put together the money I might pickup some better more sound-purposed hardware, but I'm gonna have to do some research first.

I'm gonna have to experiment with audio equipment and different encoding methods now: I'm gonna have to investigate different audio encoding/decoding schemes and see if its worth digging out my whole music collection and re-encoding to AAC or even FLAC. I'm gonna have to try and get my hands on some never-encoded-to-CD audio.

if anyone else out there was thinking like I was, pickup a $150 card, try it, and pay the restocking fee and fire me an angry PM if you don't like it; there's no doubt in my mind you wont be paying that restocking fee, you don't need an audiophiles ear's to hear the difference. My video budget: sound budget ratio has just gone from about 10:1 to about 3:2, I'll remember this for any future builds I do for anyone.

I experienced the same audio epiphany when I got my Swans speakers. Since then I've upgraded my whole computer system and added the HT Omega Claro + audio card (then upgraded to M-Audio monitors). I am most definitely not an audiophile, but even my layperson ears have been able to tell the difference at each step in this progression.

Same awesomeness when upgrading from TN LCD to IPS LCD.

Quality is not necessarily equal to performance (your grain-fed copper pun ackowledged and heeded), but when you experience the difference you are keen to notice it again and again. Cheers!

I had an "epiphany" recently with headphone amps. A few weeks ago I was looking around online for something to replace my Sennheiser HD555's that were falling apart. I ended up going with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's. Somewhere along the way during my research I read some posts about hybrid vacuum tube/solid state amps.

I ended up finding this thread over on Head-Fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/444400/bravo-audio-funny-looking-little-tube-amps

I didn't really need an amp, but I had some cash to spare and I figured it might be a nice upgrade from my Forte's amp. I went ahead and bought one off Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260665420314
(There are a couple different versions that use different types of tubes)

I've had it for about a week now and I'm very, very impressed with the sound. Before trying this amp I'd always thought descriptions of color/warmth/richness/whatever in audio equipment reviews were BS, but I really enjoy the sound and I'm having a hard time describing why even though I'm pretty certain this is the best audio upgrade I've ever bought. It sounds great in general, seems to be much less fatiguing to listen to, and wasn't very expensive.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had an "epiphany" recently with headphone amps. A few weeks ago I was looking around online for something to replace my Sennheiser HD555's that were falling apart. I ended up going with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's. Somewhere along the way during my research I read some posts about hybrid vacuum tube/solid state amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/444400/bravo-audio-funny-looking-little-tube-amps

I didn't really need an amp, but I had some cash to spare and I figured it might be a nice upgrade from my Forte's amp. I went ahead and bought one off Ebay:

I've had it for about a week now and I'm very, very impressed with the sound. Before trying this amp I'd always thought descriptions of color/warmth/richness/whatever in audio equipment reviews were BS, but I really enjoy the sound and I'm having a hard time describing why even though I'm pretty certain this is the best audio upgrade I've ever bought. It sounds great in general, seems to be much less fatiguing to listen to, and wasn't very expensive.

I'll look into that... assuming I don't have to pay an additional $200 for a stupid fucking linear algebra book :mad:

how do you store your audio? good ol' 256k mp3? aac, flac?

how do you store your audio? good ol' 256k mp3? aac, flac?

Most of it is WMA lossless. Looking back it would have probably been better to use FLAC for easier cross-platform compatibility, but almost all of my machines run Windows so it's not really an issue.

Last edited:
How do you have it hooked up to the Forte? Out the headphone port into the amp and then into the headphones? Or out the analog outputs into the amp and then into the headphones? If you are coming out the headphone port, isn't that already amped by the card?

How do you have it hooked up to the Forte? Out the headphone port into the amp and then into the headphones? Or out the analog outputs into the amp and then into the headphones? If you are coming out the headphone port, isn't that already amped by the card?

I'm using the regular output from the multichannel analog breakout cable, not the headphone amp output.

Then a miniplug to RCA connection to the amp?
Yeah. The amp has both a stereo mini jack input and L/R RCA input.

Can you then use CMSS-3D for the headphone positioning in games?
Yes. CMSS/EAX/Crystalizer/Equalizer/etc all still work fine. The amp just picks up the sound card output and... amplifies it. :)

Those features will always work regardless of what output you're using, even digital output. EAX and such is done on the X-Fi DSP chip. From there the data either goes out through the digital out or undergoes the digital->analog conversion on a separate chip.

Last edited:
My Soundblaster Elite Pro was one of the best purchases I've made. It certainly makes a difference in audio quality in mp3s, flacs, games, etc.

Back