I9 9900k a dud?

CanesVenetici

Limp Gawd
I think I may have a really poor chip. My goal was to shoot for 5ghz, and that's currently what I'm running at now, but it's not stable. I've been messing with my overclock for days trying different things to no avail, so last night I started downclocking it. Even at 4.8 my system locks up almost immediately after starting prime. I didn't go nuts on the voltage, I'm only comfortable taking it up to 1.35, but even at 1.35 at 4.8 it locks up almost immediately. I've got the LLC set pretty aggressive.

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 1000w psu
Gigabyte Aorus xtreme z390 w/ i9 9900k cooled with a Corsiar h115i AIO
Gskill TridentZ RGB 32gb @3600
2 EVGA 1080ti FTW3 in sli
970 Pro 512gb m.2 NVME for the system
970 eve 1tb m.2 NVME for gaming

As far as I can tell it isn't thermal throttling, I doni't think it even has time to do that. I was able to get it to pass the intel burn test numerous times. I've been trying to run prime with AVX disabled with small ffts.

I've tried it with an avx offset and without. My uncore is set to 4.7 as I've seen rocomennded. I've disabled speedstep and all the c states. Silicon lottery says 100% of chips they've run across will do 4.8 stable, so did I get a real stinker?

Last edited:
Well hell, all the guides I'd followed had me setting the xmp profile first. I took the memory down to 21 3 3 and changed nothing else and prime is running fine. Fine as in its been running for 5 minutes without crashing ,which is five minutes longer than I got before. Now it's thermal throttling which I expected. Going to bump the voltage down and try again
Thanks!

Before all this I ran memtest for hours with my memory at its stated 3600. After I find a sweet spot for the processor would it be possible to put the memory back to 3600? Maybe give the memory controller a bit more voltage?

Well hell, all the guides I'd followed had me setting the xmp profile first. I took the memory down to 21 3 3 and changed nothing else and prime is running fine. Fine as in its been running for 5 minutes without crashing ,which is five minutes longer than I got before. Now it's thermal throttling which I expected. Going to bump the voltage down and try again
Thanks!
How hot is it getting? Mine is only stable at 5 GHz with 1.34V, and I had one core hit 104C after an hour of prime95 without AVX. I set TJMax to 110C, so it wasn't throttling. I am also using a 280mm radiator in the X62. I have a X72, which uses a 360mm radiator, on order to replace it. I'd like to keep temps under 80C while gaming.

I'm running a Z390 AORUS PRO and followed the Gigabyte guide in vick1000 's post. I started at 1.300V and went up by .05V at a time. 1.33V was close, but the load on core7 dipped below 100% after 15 minutes even with LLC set to Extreme. I set LLC to Turbo in my final config.

Do you have the iGPU disabled?

I think I may have a really poor chip. My goal was to shoot for 5ghz, and that's currently what I'm running at now, but it's not stable. I've been messing with my overclock for days trying different things to no avail, so last night I started downclocking it. Even at 4.8 my system locks up almost immediately after starting prime. I didn't go nuts on the voltage, I'm only comfortable taking it up to 1.35, but even at 1.35 at 4.8 it locks up almost immediately. I've got the LLC set pretty aggressive.

Seagate PRIME Titanium 1000w psu

As far as I can tell it isn't thermal throttling, I doni't think it even has time to do that. I was able to get it to pass the intel burn test numerous times. I've been trying to run prime with AVX disabled with small ffts.

I've tried it with an avx offset and without. My uncore is set to 4.7 as I've seen rocomennded. I've disabled speedstep and all the c states. Silicon lottery says 100% of chips they've run across will do 4.8 stable, so did I get a real stinker?

Follow the guide vick posted but I'd lower the uncore to 45 and turn XMP off as well. Take everything out of the equation you can and try to just focus on the CPU OC. You can also give the pre-defined gigabyte OC profiles a try and see if any of those are stable.

You need to delid anyways...That is still Viable. But yeah maybe it's a stinker.

How hot is it getting? Mine is only stable at 5 GHz with 1.34V, and I had one core hit 104C after an hour of prime95 without AVX. I set TJMax to 110C, so it wasn't throttling. I am also using a 280mm radiator in the X62. I have a X72, which uses a 360mm radiator, on order to replace it. I'd like to keep temps under 80C while gaming.

When I managed to get it to run prime it hit 104C once, then the fans on the h115i spun up and were able to keep it below 100. TJMax is also set to 110c just as yours is.
I'm running a Z390 AORUS PRO and followed the Gigabyte guide in vick1000 's post. I started at 1.300V and went up by .05V at a time. 1.33V was close, but the load on core7 dipped below 100% after 15 minutes even with LLC set to Extreme. I set LLC to Turbo in my final config.

I did the same with the voltage, just never found a happy spot. LLC is currently set to Turbo, the extreme felt like it was kicking the voltages, and the heat, higher than I was comfortable with.

Do you have the iGPU disabled?

Yep, sure is.

Follow the guide vick posted but I'd lower the uncore to 45 and turn XMP off as well. Take everything out of the equation you can and try to just focus on the CPU OC. You can also give the pre-defined gigabyte OC profiles a try and see if any of those are stable.

There's something was curious about. In the F3 original bios the uncore was at 4.7 default and I noticed on the newer bios it's setting at 4.3 by default. On the xtreme there are no pre-defined gigabyte OC profiles, which is kind of BS considering it's a more expensive board.
Think I'm going to reset the bios and start from scratch again...

You need to delid anyways...That is still Viable. But yeah maybe it's a stinker.

Unless you plan on sanding down the actual core as well as the bottom of the IHS then delidding these really doesn't help much from what I've seen. And I'm not about to go sanding on the core.

When I managed to get it to run prime it hit 104C once, then the fans on the h115i spun up and were able to keep it below 100. TJMax is also set to 110c just as yours is.
There's something was curious about. In the F3 original bios the uncore was at 4.7 default and I noticed on the newer bios it's setting at 4.3 by default. On the xtreme there are no pre-defined gigabyte OC profiles, which is kind of BS considering it's a more expensive board.

Not a bad idea. I'm on a Z370 gigabyte and mine defaults to 44 for the 8700K iirc.

Got it at 5 ghat 1.33 volts. Uncore is at 4.3. I enabled XMP so it would set the default timings and voltage but I down clocked the sticks to 2133. On the overclock.net aorus owners thread posted above they recommended running prime with avx disabled in the local.txt and with a custom fft length of 1344 running in place. So far it's holding well. The highest any of the cores have hit is 87c with it averaging in the mid 70s. HWiNFO64 is showing a sustained vcore of 1.32 volts. So with the vdroop I still have a little head room I think. Going to let this run while I sleep. If it's still running when I wake up I'm going to tinker with bringing the ram up to speed. For the first time I'm hopeful

There you go, that's how you do it. Once you get the CPU stable and start testing RAM, use Prime95 Blend stress test.

Seagate PRIME Titanium 1000w psu

I found your problem, trying to use a hard drive as a power supply is going to be hard, you'd probably be spinning that disk at 500,000 rpm to generate enough power for overclocking that 9900k

Last edited:
It's weird. To get the OC profiles you have to change the BIOS view to Easy Mode. It will be under "EZ OC" on the right hand side. If I'm not mistaken you can also choose from their OC profiles using the EasyTune app on the desktop. People are reporting that EZ OC support was removed with the F6 BIOS on the Xtreme, though.

Back