i7 is so much more inefficient

rcarlos

n00b
I have a 13600K and recently tried a 13700K and I was shocked at how inefficient the 13700K is.

It is pulling 100W more watts than 13600K even though it only has 2 extra P cores.

My room also got noticeably warmer.

There's a million sarcastic things I could say here... but I'll give a legitimate response:

1.) You could've known wattage measurements by looking at any review before you bought it. If you're getting bitten now after the fact, that's your fault.

2.) The way that "efficiency" is measured, is by creating a work unit of measurement, and then figuring out how much energy is used by either processor to know how much energy is required to do the same task. GN as an example renders their GN logo in blender and sees how much energy that takes them, 1:1. Your room getting warmer IS NOT a measurement of efficiency.

I have a 13600K and recently tried a 13700K and I was shocked at how inefficient the 13700K is.

It is pulling 100W more watts than 13600K even though it only has 2 extra P cores.

My room also got noticeably warmer.
14700k uses even a fair bit more power, than the 13700k!

Whereas the 14600k, is actually a fair bit more efficient than the 13600k.

my room doesnt get warm from my 6700k and 1080. Still need to use a space heater in there! It aint easy, goin green.

Check your windows performance mode, min and max power states.

Check the bios, some like to overclock by default (I mean, more than Intel recommends).

Check task manager, make sure there aren't any processes sitting at 100% -- that'd prevent the cpu from idling, and cause unnecessary power draw.

Of course, in the end, it's a bigger chip -- they had to make some concessions in order to ensure all the cores run stable, like running at a higher voltage. That will of course increase power and heat, assuming the frequency and current were the same. Of course, the 13700K has a 100mhz lower base clock, but it also has more L2 and L3 cache and two more cores, which takes power to run as well. Honestly, 100W more is a bit much, but not unreasonable for such a big CPU.

Nobody is forcing you to run them at stock, you could always undervolt. But you may be enjoying the room heater in the winter…

Nobody is forcing you to run them at stock, you could always undervolt. But you may be enjoying the room heater in the winter…

I undervolted it, but it is still too much.

I ended up getting a 7800X3D for less than $300, but the chip I have is not very good.

I tried PBO undervolt, but it can't even handle a negative 10 and it would throw errors when stress-tested.

It can't also do fclk overclock and the max ulck is only 3000 with dual-rank Hynix A Die.

I got a board with eclk and overclocked it to 5.4GHz with a positive 15 PBO and I haven't got any idle crashes.

Screenshot-2023-12-17-233506.png

Screenshot-2023-12-15-071130.png

Wish people would listen to me… :

1. turn on all c states/dtt/speedshift etc in the bios
  2. Set DCLL in the bios to 1.02v
  3. set ACLL in the bios to 25mV
  4. set LLC to 4
  5. set windows power plan to balanced
  6. test. If stable, decrease acLL by 1mV and test again (rinse repeat, then when you reach instability increase by 3) - if this is not stable, increase rather than decrease.
Then install dtt drivers from here: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/downl.../drivers-intel-dtt-gna-5xx-6xx-7xx/m-p/905856

You will have a cool(er) pc that is much more optimised for reasonable power consumption.

Last edited:
Wish people would listen to me… :

1. turn on all c states in bios/dtt/speedshift etc in the bios
  2. Set DCLL in the bios to 1.02v
  3. set ACLL in the bios to 0.25v (25mV)
  4. set LLC to 4
  5. set windows power plan to balanced
  6. test. If stable, decrease acLL by 0.01v and test again (rinse repeat, then when you reach instability increase by 0.03) - if this is not stable, increase rather than decrease.
Then install dtt drivers from here: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/downl.../drivers-intel-dtt-gna-5xx-6xx-7xx/m-p/905856

You will have a cool(er) pc that is much more optimised for reasonable power consumption.
#3 is actually 250 millivolts.

Back