i7 12700k to i9 14900k good performance difference in my opinion

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Went ahead and did it!

I tried it and it makes a pretty big difference!

I get 20 to 30 fps more!

A lot smoother too. That is the good news. Mainly because it went from 15 fps to 20 fps all the way to 35 to 45 fps.

The bad news my temperatures are a lot higher.

Though that really does not bother me. Going to contact Intel to see what they say about that.

This is with a 360 AIO too.

Bootup speed of loading of all my programs at startup is insane fast.

After my system goes to the windows desktop all my programs I have load on start up pretty much load instantly. Which is amazing.

On my 12700k they really did not do this took like 5 to 20 seconds :( I know does not seem like a lot but can be if you need to get something done fast.

Glad to see the upgrade is working out for you going from 12th gen to 14th gen. The heat unfortunately we all know comes with speed especially with Intel right now. I'm going to hold onto my 13600K for now, though I was tempted.

FWIW, I upgraded my gaming PC from a 12700K to a 7800X3D/X670E system and while some games like MSFS 2020, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Battlefield 2042 ran significantly faster and with lower power consumption, and also games generally ran smoother with less stutter at similar fps with the 12700K, unfortunately, I had to return them because of chipset/cpu/driver issues that were causing the PC to keep on BSODing and other annoying glitches. I spent days literally trying everything I could to trouble shoot the problem to no avail.

Instead of going back to the 12700K, I went ahead and just got a 14900K for the heck of it. I underestimated how much hotter and more power hungry this chip is than the 12th gen. I ran the 12700K at intel stock limits and it ran relatively cool and quiet. With the 14900K, I had to undervolt and set the powerlimit to 230W (which is the limit of what the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE can handle). Even with normal gaming, any significant load on the CPU causes it to consume up to 200W with temp spikes to 90C. This usually happens in loading screens and during shader compilation. Games with light CPU loads are at 90-100W @ 70C and CPU heavy games would be at around 120-150W @ around 80C. Performance-wise, I think the gains are minor to decent for the most part with the games I play. All that said, at least with Intel, the system is rock-solid stable. "It just works". I'll be replacing the PS120SE with a 360 AIO for sure.

Interesting observations I got from this whole exercise: at idle to low cpu utilization situations, the 12700K and the 14900K consumed less power and ran cooler than the 7800X3D particularly with memory overclocking profiles enabled. The AMD ran my DDR5 sticks @ 6000MT/s without issue but with the both Intels, I had to lower to 5800MT/s to get the RAM to be stable.

Last edited:
As noted, heat is part of Intels current parts...either be sure you made proper contact with your cooler, or just go check out most i9 reviews and you will see they are space heaters

FWIW, I upgraded my gaming PC from a 12700K to a 7800X3D/X670E system and while some games like MSFS 2020, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Battlefield 2042 ran significantly faster and with lower power consumption, and also games generally ran smoother with less stutter at similar fps with the 12700K, unfortunately, I had to return them because of chipset/cpu/driver issues that were causing the PC to keep on BSODing and other annoying glitches. I spent days literally trying everything I could to trouble shoot the problem to no avail.
I actually contemplated doing the same thing, but after much reading I decided I wanted a stable system over a less power hungry system.

Last edited:
Interesting observations I got from this whole exercise: at idle to low cpu utilization situations, the 12700K and the 14900K consumed less power and ran cooler than the 7800X3D particularly with memory overclocking profiles enabled. The AMD ran my DDR5 sticks @ 6000MT/s without issue but with the both Intels, I had to lower to 5800MT/s to get the RAM to be stable.

You must be using something Samsung or Micron based if you're not able to get at least 7000 out of your kit with 14900k. Thats crazy.

As noted, heat is part of Intels current parts...either be sure you made proper contact with your cooler, or just go check out most i9 reviews and you will see they are space heaters

I idle at 35 to 40 c

Anyway fixed my temperature issue mostly.

You must be using something Samsung or Micron based if you're not able to get at least 7000 out of your kit with 14900k. Thats crazy.
Yes. The memory chips are Samsung. I bought one of the first 6000MT/s DDR5 kits that were available in the market. I'm thinking of replacing those with SK Hynix A-Die equipped RAM sticks to get the most out of the 14900K and before memory prices go up.

Last edited:
Yes. The memory chips are Samsung. I bought one of the first 6000MT/s DDR5 kits that were available in the market. I'm thinking of replacing those with SK Hynix A-Die equipped RAM sticks to get the most out of the 14900K and before memory prices go up.
Have you considered the new 48GB sticks? I got the 64GB before the 48 kits were available. I have it at 6400 right now 64GB fyi the suggested sweet spot for this much ram is this but 48 can hit higher speeds I may get a 48GB kit if one catches my eye.

It's a full class jump in addition to the generational leaps. I'd expect it to be better, and mainly because of the former.

Have you considered the new 48GB sticks? I got the 64GB before the 48 kits were available. I have it at 6400 right now 64GB fyi the suggested sweet spot for this much ram is this but 48 can hit higher speeds I may get a 48GB kit if one catches my eye.
I was considering 64GB. I'll definitely check out the 48GB kits before I decide.

Back