i3 2100T worth it?

2k3eblade

Gawd
Hello everyone, I salvaged an old computer that I found by work which all it was missing was RAM and a hard drive. I found that the machine has a G630 and I was wondering if it would be worth the cash to invest in a 2100T (There are a few on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-CM806...CPU-/181370855986?pt=CPUs&hash=item2a3a8ba232). I am going to put this machine into file serve use and I would like it to be power efficient as possible. Is it worth putting money into this Sandy Bridge platform?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't personally. The G630 can OC better, but I doubt your board even knows what that means. Otherwise the i3 is minimally faster.

I wouldn't personally. The G630 can OC better, but I doubt your board even knows what that means. Otherwise the i3 is minimally faster.

Say what? the g630 doesn't oc at all.

I wouldn't buy the 2100t, its just a lot to spend on something old.

Oh yes, locked multiplier, my info was incorrect. I still don't think it would be worth the upgrade.

I got one on ebay for $50 buy it now last year it was an engineering sample though, I put my 2100t in a habey 600sl small case with a zotac h67itx-d-e with a small low profile titan cooler max load is about 62c but thats no too bad considering how small the case is. I would say the chips only worth it if your building a tiny rig and if you could get it much cheaper. otherwise get a ivy or haswell low power chip

If the programs you will be using can significantly benefit from Hyperthreading, then go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.

The consensus I've seen indicates all of the "T" series CPUs are generally a solution in search of a problem, except very limited cases. The T and Non-T variants should have the same idle power, the only limiting factor is going to be when a CPU is throttled up. However, there are always the arguments that the full-power CPU will complete tasks faster and return to idle sooner.

The consensus I've seen indicates all of the "T" series CPUs are generally a solution in search of a problem, except very limited cases. The T and Non-T variants should have the same idle power, the only limiting factor is going to be when a CPU is throttled up. However, there are always the arguments that the full-power CPU will complete tasks faster and return to idle sooner.

This.

The vanilla i3-2100, for example, will run at a max of 3.1GHz and has a TDP of 65W vs the T-variant 2.5GHz with a TDP of 35W. After doing some quick eBay searching, the vanilla 2100 seems to be going for $60-80, while the T-variant is averaging around $100 in the used market...so lower priced, to boot

I've got an i3-2100 in one of my home desktops (built it when LGA1155 was a still a fairly new released platform), and it's still performing great. I wouldn't ever dream of switching to a 2100T just for the lower TDP while giving up 600 MHz.

For a pure file server? I'd just stick with the G630. You're not going to need the hyperthreads.

Back