I was close to getting the 290x

440W load! 41C/95C temps! Wow.

If anything is getting smoked it's that 290 after you've been playing games for a few hours.

I was interested in this card but 440W is ridiculous and that's not even an overclocked version and on a system with not much connected, so you're looking at about 500W power draw with an OC version on a normal system. I hope this can push the nvidia prices down even more.

Had to make a new user name to not get more check marks against your real account?

Had to make a new user name to not get more check marks against your real account?

No I am a genuine new user, and what is wrong with what I said? I just personally don't think I'd want a graphics card that was that power hungry and hot, I'm sure it won't matter at all for a lot of people. I'm not into the idea of water cooling so that's not an option for me. If the aftermarket coolers can bring at least the temps down a lot I'll still be considering buying it because the price is pretty amazing.

Grats on the 780.
How about all new 780's getting the new chips...think it will happen?
doubt it at least this year. N has always had the attitude of bleed you one day at a time.

right now the reference 290 cooler is a BIG joke I know a lot of people waiting on the aftermarket crowd to see a better cooler but I believe the price will skyrocket when it hits.
planned, probably

290 aftermarket is probably the 7950 of tomorrow and will be the sweet spot.

Why do people keep talking about temps like they mean something? A 100w device is going to dump 100J/s of thermal energy into its environment regardless of whether it's running at 50 or 100C. Then only thing temperature is going to tell is the equilibrium point where heat in equals heat out.

Because generally higher levels of heat decrease the lifespan of components probably.

Well the 290 looks disapointing as well.

AMD's eleventh-hour decision to raise the 290's fan speed bought a few percentage points worth of added performance, but it means the 290 is relatively loud for a high-end graphics card.

For what it's worth, had AMD stuck with the original plan, the 290 would have been quieter than the R9 290X. The 290 originally registered 46.5 dBA on the meter under load.

Hot loud and power hungry. At least it's cheaper, no reason to spend the extra on the 290X.

I think we got some more speed.
WHAT
I say I think its holding a clock
WHAT
oh forget it
WHAT

The OP has been closed, and you're far too much fun!

Can't wait to see what else you post. Can we have more pictures?

I find it entertaining that a man who believes that expensive components need a rice case is trying to talk shit to me.

I find it entertaining that a man who believes that expensive components need a rice case is trying to talk shit to me.

I sure hope you don't need a rice case- but a nice one?

Nice depends on perspective. You have two of the hottest, loudest GPUs made, in a case designed for mid-range setups. You don't have to have a 'nice' or 'expensive' case, but making a little effort to set up the enclosure to properly support your components goes a long way.

How's the throttling on your cards, by the way?

I sure hope you don't need a rice case- but a nice one?

Nice depends on perspective. You have two of the hottest, loudest GPUs made, in a case designed for mid-range setups. You don't have to have a 'nice' or 'expensive' case, but making a little effort to set up the enclosure to properly support your components goes a long way.

How's the throttling on your cards, by the way?

They're not throttling at all since I have the fans ramped up.

Edit: not that it matters, since I'm replacing them 2x 780 Lightning and a Rosewill Super Tower case.

I see how it is, you weren't getting paid enough to shill for AMD and when Nvidia came along with a better offer you immediately jumped ship. So much for loyalty.

I see how it is, you weren't getting paid enough to shill for AMD and when Nvidia came along with a better offer you immediately jumped ship. So much for loyalty.

Didn't even say why- wonder if he'll change his name?

Actually no, my 290Xs are having weird issues, and I'm interested to see how 780 Lightnings would work.

I can't wait to use G-Sync™, Shadowplay™, and PhysX™ technologies!

No, I'm just kidding, but everybody's a shill, right? I actually think all three of these things are gimmicks, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

How much are they paying you? I want a piece of that action.

Cty1EIq.jpg

Back