I think my PSU is acting weird

Kevlarman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I have a recently built rig here that until last week, was working fine.

Corsair HX620 PSU
Gigabyte EP35-DSP3
2x Cruciial 1GB DDR2 PC2-8000
Intel Q6600
Foxconn 8800GTX OC
Lite-On DVDRW
3x 7200RPM HDDs

Basically, when I first built this computer a few months ago, it was working fine. On occasion, when turning on the computer for the first time in the morning, the computer would try to POST and then turn off. It would then turn on all by itself a second or two later. After a few rounds of this, it would turn on and stay on until I manually shut it down.

Now, last weekend I shut down my machine and went to bed. The next morning, it did the usual turn on/turn off routine, but this time it never stayed on. It never got to POST. And it would repeatedly turn off/turn on until I yanked the plug out of the wall.

I've tried running bare bones.
Tried clearing mobo CMOS.
I've switched RAM slots, and tried running with one or the other stick inserted at a time.
I've tried using another PCI-E graphics card
I've tried disconnecting all drives.
I even tried changing the motherboard from a brand new one (I originally had a P35-DS3P).

The only thing I haven't done is try another CPU or another PSU, both of which I do not have spares of.

Yes, I have tried running the PSU with a paperclip jumping the ground and green wire, and it runs fine and stays on. Checking the ATX plug with a multimeter shows good voltages as well.

Still, is there a possibility that my Corsair PSU is faulty? Why would two different motherboards behave in exactly the same way? If it were a dead CPU, would the computer refuse to start at all?

Thanks

Sounds like the motherboard to me.

Back