I need 37" or 30" Monitor. What is best 37" or 30"? please help me choose from....

JargonGR

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I have been following the situation with the 30" monitors for about a month and I have to say that I finally have narrowed down my options down to 2 choices:

A) Buy the HP 30" (I can't be bothered to wait for the Dell 3 more months and I understand that it might not be that different.

B) A 37" HDTV (the Westy is not available in my country Greece but we have other nice equivalents (Sharp Aquos, Amoi).

I really love big size and I am almost ready to go for the 37" however I would like your views on that since it will be my main PC monitor too. If I buy the 37" I can keep it for some months and then it can serve me as a TV in another room (bedroom) that I need a TV for and change for the Dell then.

For those with the Westinghouse displays; do you find the 1920x1080p resolution enough for desktop use? I mainly use my PC with Excel, Word, Outlook, and internet. Then I might open (not work on) the occasional Autocad drawing and then its games, music. I DO NOT watch movies on my PC (hehe I love my huge sofa).

My PC is [email protected], 2x 8800GTX SLI

So what would you go for? My only concern is if 1920x1080 is enough at a 37" screen. I am using a 22" (20) Diamontron CRT - Gateway VX1120 now.

I love the Westy. It's the best purchase i've ever made. The only problems you might have is adjusting the font size on the display, which really isn't a problem if you know what you're doing. Also, don't forget to adjust the graphic card drivers to output in 1080p. Mine defaulted to 1080i and it took me a bit to figure out what was wrong (there is a big difference).

Also, how far are you going to sit from the monitor? Don't sit to close or your neck will hurt due to all the turning you will have to do.

IMO, based on your setup and using it for gaming & desktop usage, go HP 30". I have both the HP 30" and the Westy 37". While the Westy is great for gaming, I don't like it so much for regular desktop usage. Better yet, get both! :eek: I kid. :p :D

I have the Apple 30" Display :D , bought this time last year, and one year later still LOVE it, the 2560x1600 resolution at 30" gives a MUCH more detailed picture than a 37" screen at lower resolution of 1920x1080. And WoW at my defualt res look's frigging nice.

So if ya want a crisp and detialed screen, get a 30", that can sit in fron of ya close. If ya want a bigger screen with lower res and less detail, that must be 3-4' away get the Westing

Damn I got puzzled again!

First of all the only good for PC 37" options in my country (Greece) are:

- the Amoi 37" (I have seen it but could not play enough with it) nice 1:1 pixel mapping (Price: 1800 Euros)

- Sharp Aquos 37" (the new HD model) that is doing 1:1 pixel mapping 1920x1080@60Hz
(Price: 2100 Euros)

Those two are both TVs but can serve as a PC monitor too.

Then on the 30" pure PC monitor front I think that the HP LP3065 will be available sometime in Januray and it is ofc cheaper than both of the Units above @ 1650 Euros.

Finally, the max distance from my screen will be 3 feet.

It seems to me that the best is to have a 37" for games and a 30" for Desktop and then wife kills me and its the end. If I was not married I would get both!! But now I have to choose or buy a 30" now and a 37" HDTV or 42" in 8-12 months when prices on those will be really cheap.

So between the Dell 300WFP-HC and the HP LP-3065 which is the best hands down? It seems to me they are the same but the Dell supports natively 2 resolutions while the HP has more DVI ports.

Well I am going for the HP 30" and later on when HDTVs go down in price in 2007 I may fetch a 37-42 as well for games only. Or since I will buy a 50" at least for my TV room I could use that too for some PC gaming from time to time.

The only thing that buggs me is whether the new Dell may turn up to be better but from what I read the only difference is that the HP does not have a second native resolution like 1280x800. Not that i would like to run at it ofc.

Well wish me good luck - I took the plunge.

Your System is able to handle the big resolution. Once you get used to it, you will never go back playing on low resolution TV Screens. :cool:

I was under the impression that 1920x1080 is not any different on the eye compared to 2560x1600 but you guys have pursuaded me that it is really crisper so 30" for my although I need to order it through an HP partner and will take about 3 weeks.
Oh well, I will be busy building my U2-UFO case watercooling setup and mods till then.

Back