I know where all the Intel SSDs are going

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
Where are all the Intel G2 SSDs going? Intel initinally started to ship them, about one month ago. They then stopped shipping because of the BIOS password bug. But they have had time to test and deploy a fix, and this time should have allowed them to build up a supply of the drives. And you're going to tell me that their whole backlog sold out in a single day when they were re-launched... No way.

I think some data-center vendor realized that these are mature, generate less heat and use less electricity, and are fast as heck. So, I speculate that a Google, or an Amazon, etc. is buying up these Intel drives. Even if they were buying the higher capacity drives (money is of little concern to them, right?) this would make the NAND memory scarce, and Intel wouldn't be able to meet consumer demand.

Possible?

If that were true, they would be buying directly from Intel in huge quantities to reduce the price. They wouldn't waste their time/money using online vendors.

If that were true, they would be buying directly from Intel in huge quantities to reduce the price. They wouldn't waste their time/money using online vendors.

Your correct, howver if the OP theroy is correct, then Vendor shipments would be small because of the scarcity due to the large orders being filled first.

I just don't see how SSD's at this point are cost effective. Not that they aren't cool, just not cost effective.

OEMs/enterprise or supply shortages would be my guess. Intel's ether serving OEMs and enterprise as a top priority at first due to volume sales, and whatever's left over trickles its way down to resellers would be my guess.

Patience is key.

No chance Google is buying them. SSD's do not fit Googles IT philosophy at all. Google likes using lots of cheap inexpensive and relatively weak hardware in parallel.

Not to sidetrack this but I've been waiting to get some G2's as well. Newegg shows them in stock now, but what's with the price?

On newegg.ca the prices are:
G1 80GB $266
G1 160GB $519
G2 80GB $522

It's in the same price range as the 160GB in the first-gen. I thought these were supposed to be cheaper! They look twice as expensive to me. The live chat lady confirmed the price was accurate.

Edit/ Sorry! Just saw there's a thread for this. I lose

I just don't see how SSD's at this point are cost effective. Not that they aren't cool, just not cost effective.

They can be very cost effective in the enterprise if you have the right application. Consider the amount of HDD (and rack space, power, cooling, etc) you'd require if you have a requirement where IOPS rather than space is king (and there are many, many such applications). High end Enterprise 10-15k SAS drives are going to get you 185-250 IOPS each and aren't exactly cheap, Enterprise SSDs are 2000+ IOPS (Intel's are somewhere around 3500 I think).

No chance Google is buying them. SSD's do not fit Googles IT philosophy at all. Google likes using lots of cheap inexpensive and relatively weak hardware in parallel.

I disagree. We have seen datacenter providers stop focusing on Dollar per gigabyte and start focusing on Wattage per gigabyte (including both direct operation of the gear and cooling costs). But, in contradiction to my previous speculation, I think datacenter providers would go for the SLC parts, which shouldn't affect the supply availability of the MLC parts. (My conjecture is that it is the 34nm NAND that is the supply choke-point).

I also like the speculation that Apple is snapping these up, due to the fact that they are newly halogen free.

But, in contradiction to my previous speculation, I think datacenter providers would go for the SLC parts, which shouldn't affect the supply availability of the MLC parts. (My conjecture is that it is the 34nm NAND that is the supply choke-point).

I phrased this poorly and think I should clarify. We are seeing a shortage of MLC flash parts, and I speculate that the supplies of SLC flash and MLC flash,are independent because they are manufactured separately. (The Intel website still lists the SLC part as being based on 50nm flash, as opposed to 34nm for the MLC.) Thus, datacenters snapping up SLC parts shouldn't greatly affect the availability of MLC parts.

Back