250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s 065-6409
One 16x SuperDrive 065-6251
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module 065-6373
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English 065-6287
Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-6245
Accessory kit 065-6244

Estimated Total: $2,595
Estimated Arrival: September 29, 2006

I've got that sinking feeling in my gut that I always get after spending large amounts of money. I know I'll be happy with this system and I'm excited in an unreal way. I'll post pics and thoughts when I receive.

sweet jesus, that was a quick reply. I know I'll love the system, just very very difficult to spend that much money. I'm sure once I get everything installed how I like it and really start using it I'll not regret the investment at all. this is a system that should last me a very long time. :D

I get that same feeling in my gut after spending large $$.
Sweet system. Have fun!

boy oh boy, your going to have good times with that bugger..

also, don't forget to install windows on yours. :eek:

and you can never go wrong with a Mac, i love my Macbook!

xdviper said:
also, don't forget to install windows on yours. :eek:

I plan on using Parallels and then when Leopard comes out I'll upgrade and use whatever integrated boot camp functionality it provides. with dual monitors, running windows in Parallels shouldn't be all that bad really.

2 Weeks til arrival :D

Stopmakingfun.jpg

:D

But seriously. Congrats on the new setup. I was going to get one myself, but I think I decided to go Dell.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm curious to know before I purchase what kinds of things the machine will do.

I will dual boot Windows on there if I do go Mac.

probably one of the better images i've seen in a long time, LOL. totally saved that.

DeadlyAura said:
Let me know how it works out for you. I'm curious to know before I purchase what kinds of things the machine will do.

I will dual boot Windows on there if I do go Mac.[/QUOTE]

I believe I'll be more hard-pressed to find things that it [I][B]can't[/B][/I] do ;)

I just got mine in last friday and it is an absolute beast, you will not regret it. I'm using bootcamp and parallels. Parallels runs extremely well for me. IMHO, the only reason to use bootcamp is if you play games, which I do a little of. With Windows in full screen mode you'll forget that you're running on a virtual machine. I've been playing Battlefield 2 using bootcamp on it a decent amount. With ALL the settings on high and anti-aliasing on 6x @ 1680x1050 I'm getting a minimum of 70FPS.

2.66Ghz, 2GB, ATI X1900XT, 2x250GB (RAID0 Boot), 500GB (Backup), 160GB (Windows).

pixelbaker said:
I've got that sinking feeling in my gut that I always get after spending large amounts of money. I know I'll be happy with this system and I'm excited in an unreal way. I'll post pics and thoughts when I receive.

Same here, got mine from the store with some more RAM and with out BT, systems with it were sold out. Dropping that $$$ was a bit unsettling but when the system started up it started to get better. Its also my first mac at home, so its going to be interesting. Will dual boot later when I have the time. So far got all me apps on it and it runs nice. Although, judging by Maya 7´s openGL performance, OS X seems to be a bit lacking there. Hopefully they will sort it out soon.

I've received the Mac Pro. A couple of days ago in fact. I was so busy with other things that I haven't had time to really sit down and mess with it much beyond getting all my basic apps installed and going.

I'm impressed with the machine overall. It's quick with everything I've thrown at it. I have those obligatory gripes that came from switching to a new OS after using nothing but Windows all my life. I'm settling in well and just sold my Dell laptop so I have truly taken the plunge. The Mac Pro is now my only system. I'll just have to figure things out as I go.

I'll get some pics up later tonight if I can. My setup is a composite of years of PCs and the transition period so it doesn't match the best, but it's functional.

Have to ask again.. How's it running for you? Get OSX setup to where you like it and it runs at full speed.

I've got it setup pretty much how it should be. I've got a little problem with my OS X GUI effects (expose, dashboard, minimizing, etc...) that are a little choppier than they should be. If i unplug my second LCD then plug it back in, everything is perfect. Apple said they'd get a technician out to my area to have a look at it sometime so i'll find out about that tomorrow hopefully. I really haven't begun using all of the pro apps yet because I haven't had time or a purpose. I'm still getting there.

Finally had a chance to get the photo up. On the right you can see that printer that I got with the Mac Pro with the $100 MIR, making it free.
2002650732938290414_rs.jpg

pixelbaker said:
I've got it setup pretty much how it should be. I've got a little problem with my OS X GUI effects (expose, dashboard, minimizing, etc...) that are a little choppier than they should be. If i unplug my second LCD then plug it back in, everything is perfect. Apple said they'd get a technician out to my area to have a look at it sometime so i'll find out about that tomorrow hopefully. I really haven't begun using all of the pro apps yet because I haven't had time or a purpose. I'm still getting there.

Finally had a chance to get the photo up. On the right you can see that printer that I got with the Mac Pro with the $100 MIR, making it free.
2002650732938290414_rs.jpg

I've got the same printer at the base of my desk. Came free with my MacBook. Works well, I like it a lot.

I just bought one last night...same specs just about as you...'cept I went with Airport and Bluetooth and I got the X1900 card too....

3051 after taxes...trusth me, you are not the only one with that feeling...

I just sold my Dell laptop for $1,000 plus another laptop for $350. Total of $100 profit. I'm feeling a little revitalized after that :D

I'm loving my Mac Pro though. it's getting better and better the more I use it. Getting a feel for the interface and how to do things the mac way. I think quicksilver will be a godsend too.

Any other nice apps I should know about? What are some good pro level applications I can try out? I'm just trying to get a feel for what all I can do with it.

badlydrawn said:
Although, judging by Maya 7´s openGL performance, OS X seems to be a bit lacking there. Hopefully they will sort it out soon.
Maya isn't a universal binary, so it's essentially being emulated. That means pretty poor performance. 3D apps that are universal, like Cinema 4D and modo, have excellent OpenGL performance in Mac OS X.

Congrats on the sexy machine. I want one myself, just have to work up the money first.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Maya isn't a universal binary, so it's essentially being emulated. That means pretty poor performance. 3D apps that are universal, like Cinema 4D and modo, have excellent OpenGL performance in Mac OS X.

Oh, didn't know, have to use version 7 for compatibility and stability at the moment. Have to check if 8 universal... and then wait for the company to migrate.

Maya 8 isn't a universal binary either. Autodesk haven't announced anything about when it will happen, as far as I know.

Back