I just bought a 4TB go flex drive.

Noetic

[H]ard|Gawd
I cannot justify spending 200 for such a drive, except I did need another big drive, and this was available at what is today, a fairly reasonable price.

A simple thin guitar plectrum gently and without a mark, popped open the case. It will be testing it tomorrow on a SATA3 port.

It is indeed a Barracuda XT drive.

The present system in which it resides.

Q6600 @3.0GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 64 ultimate
SATA2 connection.

For those who do not know....

First, the drive had to repartitioned through Administration Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management
Right clicked on the drive box (where it says, "Disk 3" in the attached picture.) and clicked convert to GPT. This permitted the drive to be a single partition over 2TB. At this point we can format.

4tb.1.jpg

Easy peasy....

Below is a CrystalDiskInfo report on my drives.... A new C: is forthcoming.

4tb.2.jpg

CrystalDiskMark report of the 4TB drive.

4tb.3.jpg

And for comparison, a 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drive. (I should have used an empty drive to be more accurate)

4tb.4.jpg

I would like to stress, this drive was fairly easy to remove from its enclosure. No printed tapes to note any tampering.

Last edited:
very nice and a good deal at $200, might try to pick one up like this this holiday season and drop it in a networkable enclosure

Wow, did not realize 4TB drives were out yet. I knew they were in the works but definitely did not expect them now. Imagine 4 of these in raid 10. Add these to a 24 bay case and you can start downloading the internet.

Wow, did not realize 4TB drives were out yet. I knew they were in the works but definitely did not expect them now. Imagine 4 of these in raid 10. Add these to a 24 bay case and you can start downloading the internet.

My thoughts precisely

Articles on said drive have been around for a couple of months. I was surprise to learn that they were indeed Barracuda XT drives.

That is an incredible price. That is cheaper then most 2TB drives now.

Has there been an reviews on this drives RAID performance / compatibility ?

One could assume similar performance as the 3TB XT drives in RAID.

The 4TB drive utilizes the 800GB per platter technology. With 1TB platters now available, 5TB drives could be in the works.

For now, I am content.

Back