I hate you, Newegg.

you also have 100x more amazon users than newegg, and guess who posts reviews people who are peeved. amazon has always helped me out whenever there was a problem, can't say the same for newegg
Fortunately, I've only had a couple customer service issues with Amazon and Newegg and they also took care of the situation, so I can't say one is better than the other in that regard. (I agree that Amazon's free shipping is faster than Newegg's.) So unlike many here, I'm not a fanboy of either and will go with whoever is cheaper. What helps N over A for me in TX is tax.

Amazon's customer service is super awesome. And I have had pleasant experiences with Newegg too.

Simple: If you don't like a retailer and then don't buy stuff from them but there's no need to cry about it. just my two cents.

PS: If you want something to be done about your issues just log them onto BBB or resellerratings and see how quickly the retailer solves the problem.

you also have 100x more amazon users than newegg, and guess who posts reviews people who are peeved. amazon has always helped me out whenever there was a problem, can't say the same for newegg

I have had exact opposite experience. I have had so many problems with amazon, my account is flagged as the send used returns to account. I have had a ton of used items sent to me, one of the packages even had someone elses rma label on it. These are obviously used items too, unsealed and missing parts. All from amazon.com not a reseller. I used to have prime but it became a joke because I would order something with 2 day or 1 day shipping and with out fail 50% of the time it shipped ground and didn't get here in time. What pisses me off is the attitude I would get when I would contact amazon, basically they would say "oh i'm sorry about that" and that was it. They wouldn't even offer to reimburse for the 1 day shipping I paid extra for, I would have to pester them further to get that refunded. The prime addon crap too made me drop prime, the major benefit to prime for me was buying cheap items and getting them shipped free, honestly I don't care if they are 2 day or ground on the small items but I didn't want to pay $5 to ship a $2 item. Now with the addon business its just a joke.

Newegg has always been stellar for me, that and they have nice combos sometimes where they will throw in free ram with a mobo. Newegg's always given me way better customer service than amazon.

The other thing that sucks about Amazon (in addition to taxes in TX) is them raising the free shipping amount to $35 instead of $25. :( Newegg will sometimes offers free shipping for many items regardless of its cost.

Just bought $4500 of gear off of Amazon. Suck it, NewEgg.

Might have even stayed a loyal customer if you hadn't tried to screw me out of a motherboard RMA a few years ago, tried to pawn off a used PSU when I ordered a new one, and tried to censor me from their Facebook page for calling them out on their motherboard RMA practices. But no, you had no interest in customer satisfaction ... and I discovered Amazon's consumer electronics inventory as a result.

NewEgg -- loses $4500 in potential revenue trying to save $250 bucks. Haha. Ha.

I bought a whole rig at microcenter, ud4h mobo z87, i7 4470k, corsair c70 and ram much cheaper then it would be on newegg.

I bought a whole rig at microcenter, ud4h mobo z87, i7 4470k, corsair c70 and ram much cheaper then it would be on newegg.

I would have bought most of my last upgrades from microcenter if they had R9 290s at all. They just had to settle for the 4930K and the Asus X79 Deluxe from me. Newegg got me for a 7970 and 2 R9 290s, as well as the EVGA Supernova G2. I dont like them but they had it in stock.

It's as it has always been. Never swear allegiance to an retailer/e-tailer, and always do your research. Personally, I've never had a problem with Newegg, or Amazon. I would probably shop at Amazon more, but their site layout is pure shit, their search filtering is completely broken, and all too often they merge reviews from two completely different products.

this is a very good point. we have to admit that there were way too many people getting returns and replacements on stuff THEY broke, and buying something only to use until they could get their rma replacement and then returning it, etc. it was really sad, and i guess we are feeling the consequences. :(

There is a business for returned items too, it creates a new market for buyers looking to spend a little less for refurbished/open box items.

Don't think they raise their prices because of returns.

I've been with amazon and new egg since 98 or 99. Been a long time. I used to use newegg exclusively for tech and a/v equipment but statting in '07 newegg began botching orders, sending the wrong items, damaged items, open items, cancelling entire orders but not update or notify me when all I would cancel was a single item so I would be expecting an order to arrive and it never would. So I switched to amazon and in the entire time I've used amazon I have had zero orders messed up and only had to return 2 items both were shoes that didn't fit. I spend on average between business and personal accounts close to 50k a year there so pretty large sampling size. Amazon is as close to perfect as they come for my personal and business needs. They've almost always price matched any national or other e-tailer that I've requested.

For shits and giggles I recently broke down and ordered an SSD from Newegg that was on sale. It didn't come in a retail box, was wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap, placed in an es bag, and sat on top of packing peanuts and the box looked it it had been sent via ups through the 9 rings of hell so reluctantly I mounted it in my wife's old laptop. It just failed after about a month of very minimal use and newegg is giving me the run around in regards to it.

I purchased one of the SeaGate Hybrid drives last week, it had an Iron Egg guaranty on it so today it was the shell shocker for $12 less. I called NewEgg up even though the Iron Egg says they don't match themselves or affiliate sites, and they gave me a $12 NewEgg gift card, I already got the email about it.

I have nuttin but love for the Egg. So far they have never let me down and I've been ordering from them since around 1999 I think.

Im guessing with the amount of bad press and experiences posted on this thread (12 pages long), Newegg is trying to do the best they can to limit future bad thread posts lol

reaching in the dark with this post, but ehh why not :)

I placed four orders with Newegg last week. The first we will ignore because it was a preorder and the item won't ship until February. The other three were all free super-saver shipping. They all shipped the day I ordered (3 separate days) or the day after for the one I ordered in the evening. They all arrived the second business day after being shipped (e.g. Monday morning order arrived Wednesday).

Also the two bulk HDD's were packed in individual HDD sized bubble-enclosures which were inside individual cardboard boxes which were in a shipping box with regular air-filled packing. If these HDD's are bad it isn't because Newegg didn't pack them well.

As for prices, Newegg was about the same as Amazon but Newegg didn't want to charge me taxes so it was way cheaper overall. I am a prime member too, so it was nice to get shipping just as fast as I normally get from Amazon, also for free.

As for my history with Newegg, I have been buying a few items a year from them since about 2003 and I have yet to have a single problem. Guess I am just lucky or something.

ordered about $10K of parts from newegg, arrived 2 days later. no problems here.

Newegg haters will hate, but the above 2 posts and my personal experience with NE is also positive. Knock on wood in case I get screwed on my next order! :eek:

Newegg haters will hate, but the above 2 posts and my personal experience with NE is also positive. Knock on wood in case I get screwed on my next order! :eek:

So a few happy people in one of many large threads full of problems and we're just haters?

I have spent $1000's on Amazon in the last few years and haven't given a dime to Newegg. Back when they started, it was THE place to shop but now, I'm surprised they are in business. Their shady "sales" techniques are just bad. Raise the price by $5 for an item, then discount it by $4.99 to make it look like it is on sale.

Get Amazon Prime. $79 for an entire year and get free 2 day shipping. Most times, I get my items in 1 day because I am in Ohio and they have one of their main distribution centers in Kentucky.

I placed an order for some GPU's, and realized i ordered the wrong model 5 mins later, i got on the live chat immediately, and even though the ones i wanted were the same price they still wouldn't change the order, they told me i'd have to get charged a 2nd time then cancel the other order and wait to get a refund... WTF LOL.

Amazon all the way.

So a few happy people in one of many large threads full of problems and we're just haters?

Like I said before, RR paints a different picture, i.e., that Newegg has a higher rating than Amazon. I'm not a fanboy or hater of either site. I go with whatever is cheaper (after factoring Amazon's tax factor).

Like I said before, RR paints a different picture, i.e., that Newegg has a higher rating than Amazon. I'm not a fanboy or hater of either site. I go with whatever is cheaper (after factoring Amazon's tax factor).

Look closer. RR is shit. Explain how newegg has 40k reviews and amazon has 2200... Not to mention the first newegg review you see is a spam ad.

Been buying from NE since they started and never had any issues. I have only had to return two items that were defective and they issued an RMA and paid for the shipping back.
Not sure why so many seem to have issues.
I've also never had any issues with Amazon either that I can remember.

I have noticed that NE likes to raise the prices and then offer promo discounts but simple math and a compare with amazon and you can figure out if the deal is good or not.

Amazon also has wildly fluctuating prices. I've had items in my cart that went from $9 to $17 in one day only to go back down to $9.

I've purchased around a dozen hard drives from NE over the years, all were wrapped well and all still work.
I do see plenty of horror stories about badly packed drives, I have not bought any for almost two years so maybe their packaging has gone downhill.

Anybody remember the original google that sold computer equipment only to be forced to change their name to zipzoomfly? I shopped there and they had great prices and service.
They have since gone under quite a few years ago.
The URL is still there but it's been under construction forever.

Last edited:
It was googlegear and the real google existed a couple years before it. Google was very well known at the time zzf changed the name to googlegear it's quite clear what they where up to.

Not to mention zzf was shit selling used shit as new and scamming with rebates...

4. Factual Background

The Google search engine was created in 1997 and has become one of the most highly recognized and widely used search engines on the Internet. The name GOOGLE is a play on the word "googol" meaning the number represented by 1 followed by 100 zeros. As used by Complainant, the name suggests the immense amount of information organized by the Google search engine. This explanation for the selection of the name has been well-documented in media articles dated as early as July 10, 1998.

The Google web site was launched on September 21, 1999, and has been the subject of extensive media recognition. In December 2000, Google has a user base of nearly 40,000,000 users. Google also offer promotional items bearing the GOOGLE mark such as hats, shirts and other collateral items at the web sites www.google.com and www.googlestore.com.

Complainant is the owner of pending applications for U.S. registration of the GOOGLE mark. It is also the owner of foreign trademark registrations for the GOOGLE mark in a number of countries, including Hong Kong, South Korea, Mexico, New Zealand and Switzerland. The earliest of these was issued September 16, 1998.

Complainant registered the domain name <google.com> on September 15, 1997.

Respondent is located 16 miles from Google's headquarters. Prior to registration of the Domain Names at issue, Respondent used the mark XTRAPLUS for an online retail site.

On October 27, 1999, shortly after Google was featured in various national publications such as USA Today and Computer Weekly, Respondent registered the domain names <googlegear.com> and <googlebuy.com>. The additional Domain Names were registered on February 10, 2000. Respondent has used the Domain Names for a site selling computer software, hardware and related accessories.

Respondent has publicly stated that it selected the name "google" to reflect the large number of products it sells at its site. Respondent claims that "google" is a generic term in common usage (i.e., Barney Google, google eyes, etc.) and is slang for "googol," the mathematical term representing 10 to the hundredth power.

On November 10, 1999, Respondent wrote to Google about its plan to operate an online retailer, stating:

I'm wondering how much it would cost, or if there was something else we could work out, for you to put a small link on your front page, something like: "Click here if you're looking for googlegear.com the one-stop shop for all of your online shipping needs.

On January 20, 2000, Respondent again contacted Complainant proposing a cross marketing relationship. Complainant has objected to Respondent registration and use of the Domain Names. Respondent replied that Google should avoid legal fees by purchasing the <googlegear.com> domain name. Respondent further stated that it has spent a great deal of money and would want to be adequately compensated.

Respondent's use of the Domain Names has caused many documented instances of actual confusion with the GOOGLE mark. In several cases, the confusion involves complaints directed to Complainant about the nature and quality of Respondent's services. Respondent has submitted additional evidence showing that many of its customers are not confused and give high ratings to the quality of its services.

The real story of zzf getting sued

Good read, I was not aware.

Now I remember it was googlegear then ZZF. I was not aware they were sued, I just figured they had to change the name due to it being registered.

In any case they went downhill and eventually went under.

I want to say I shopped there before NE was a site which was formed in 2001.

Look closer. RR is shit. Explain how newegg has 40k reviews and amazon has 2200... Not to mention the first newegg review you see is a spam ad.
Are you implying that Newegg pays RR for preferential treatment? What other sites are there like RR that rates various e-tailers?

Eh -- I've been pretty lucky with BOTH amazon and newegg.

I order fairly regularly from Amazon -- household stuff, stuff I can't get at walmart, the tax kills a lot of great deals for me though.

Newegg? Just bought a 55" samsung smart TV from them, it was double boxed and arrived in mint condition. Saved 80 dollars in taxes, and another 100 in shipping. (and I got 2.5% cash back on top of that)

Newegg has pissed me off a few times, but they DID take care of me. There was a price drop of 15 dollars on an AC router just 1 day after I got mine delivered, at first they said "sorry nothing we can do, but if you push them a little more they gave me a 15 dollar store credit. Works for me.

Same with the return shipping labels -- I had to send a video card back one time as it was DOA, I'm not paying out of pocket to ship their broken shit back to them, same thing -- push the chat support guys a bit and I got the label sent to me for free.

Amazon does handle customer service way way better though... I can fully admit that. I've been shopping at both of them for 10 years and never had a life or death issue that never got resolved to my satisfaction.

Are you implying that Newegg pays RR for preferential treatment? What other sites are there like RR that rates various e-tailers?

I'm only implying something is clearly going on at RR when the largest etailer on the planet has 2k reviews nearly all bad yet newegg has 40k and is full of 5 star spam reviews.

Take from that what you will but the newegg rating on RR is far from legit.

I'm only implying something is clearly going on at RR when the largest etailer on the planet has 2k reviews nearly all bad yet newegg has 40k and is full of 5 star spam reviews.

Take from that what you will but the newegg rating on RR is far from legit.
Then you're saying RR is far from legit. If that's the case, who is a more legit source for rating e-tailers? Until there's proof otherwise, I'm going by what RR says (in general, not just in the Newegg/Amazon discussion).

I can't explain why Amazon has fewer reviews than Newegg.

Then you're saying RR is far from legit. If that's the case, who is a more legit source for rating e-tailers? Until there's proof otherwise, I'm going by what RR says (in general, not just in the Newegg/Amazon discussion).

Nobody is trying to convince you of anything so just drop the crusade. I don't know what's going on but something is not legit with those ratings. I am not implying a damn thing like I said so don't put words in my mouth.

There are threads like this all over the fucking web. This is not some isolated deal.

Nobody is trying to convince you of anything so just drop the crusade. I don't know what's going on but something is not legit with those ratings. I am not implying a damn thing like I said so don't put words in my mouth.

There are threads like this all over the fucking web. This is not some isolated deal.
You made the implication, just short of accusing RR and/or NE of fraudulent reviews. It is too much to ask for some evidence? You don't need to act ticked off and start cursing. I'm trying to have an open dialog that isn't fanboy-biased. I don't think I'm asking for much when someone makes an accusation, to ask for some evidence.

You made the implication, just short of accusing RR and/or NE of fraudulent reviews. It is too much to ask for some evidence? You don't need to act ticked off and start cursing. I'm trying to have an open dialog that isn't fanboy-biased. I don't think I'm asking for much when someone makes an accusation, to ask for some evidence.

The evidence is right there on RR's site, but I wouldn't say it's anything even quite approaching illegality. Newegg has their angles and Amazon has their's. RR is like a Teamster mob-guy type just like Angie's List, you have to pay them in order to get their "protection". Amazon wants to appear to be above that.

It's been asked: why are there 40,000 Reviews from Newegg on RR and so few on Amazon. Well--good lord if you haven't been asked repeatedly by Newegg CSRs to use their personal portal from an email they send you to do a review on RR about your experience, then shit you haven't been wheelin' and dealin' em enough. Amazon doesn't do that. That's why.

It's the same basic reason why Angie's List is bogus and you can get a horrible contractor who comes as the highest recommended in your top 10-population US city on that site. It's not that it isn't possibly useful as a tool for researching services, but you have to see that on the fringes things that are being hyped up are being hyped up because someone's getting paid to make it happen somewhere along the line. Even if it's just the programmer who designed the auto-request email that goes out to customers for reviews of Rosewill products after a certain period of time after a purchase. This is PART of why certain products at review sites (including Amazon) get reviewed a lot, and why others just don't. I've heard it said that in the online etailer review world, having bad reviews is WAY better than having no reviews.

because everyone already knows that Amazon rocks? Who would look up reviews on the largest online store in the world before buying something?
Who would think to post a review unless they had a negative experience?

All I said is something is not right and you act like I'm obligated to provide you evidence...

Quit being such a fucking fanboy. Nobody is required to prove anything to you. Don't put words in my fucking mouth either.

I know there's a rather powerful (and state-sponsored) anti-Newegg circlejerk here, but I have to say that I've gotten hosed more often with Amazon than Newegg. Specifically, Amazon has sent me broken items three times, Newegg once. I RMA'd with Newegg, everything went fine, while Amazon threatened to close my account for demanding they follow their own return policy.

edit: Do I have to sacrifice a virgin to get the motherfucking Hover Hound popups to go away for good?

edit: Do I have to sacrifice a virgin to get the motherfucking Hover Hound popups to go away for good?

Adblock plus and element hiding helper is your friend. Pretty good for "deleting" annoying content on any website.

Don't like a sidebar, pop up text banner or whatever, just delete it.

Adblock plus and element hiding helper is your friend. Pretty good for "deleting" annoying content on any website.

Don't like a sidebar, pop up text banner or whatever, just delete it.

it would be such a shame to get banned after being on here 12.7 years.

Placed an order from Newegg Friday morning at 9am est, didnt receive shipping info until Monday morning, didnt leave Newegg warehouse until today... This is with 'rush processing"

They certainly have slipped, this is the third order in a row that took nearly a week with 2 day shipping to receive, and I'm 1 state away from the Jersey warehouse.

I reached out to customer service today and conveniently 3 hours later after they were reaching out to the warehouse, the status updated to in transit.

Some issues will eventually come up, they do billions in sales each year.

I never had any issues with newegg. They always have proper english speaking reps who almost always go beyond what you asked them. Free return labels and almost always you can get the restock fee knocked off. I shop mainly at NE and Amazon. The only thing I can say about NE is their price hikes on a lot of components like PSU and Video cards. No other store hikes the PSU prices, so NE is def trying to capitalize on the sales.

Back