I can't tell a difference?

You won't really.. 720p is better for faster paced action/games. Only then will you likely actually see any difference.

Couple of options here:

1) choose the one that looks best, if you can't see a difference why do you care?

2) choose the progressive scan(720p) for better picture during fast action in games/movies

3) choose the one that matches the native resolution of your TV, which looks to be 1080i on yourse(i think :confused: )

note: i still dont have an hdtv so if i'm talking out my ass someone please call me on it

edit: dam, beaten to it

thats because your tv appears to only do 1080i from what I see of the specs elsewhere. Its just being scaled to that no matter what you have it set at.

Tutelary said:
thats because your tv appears to only do 1080i from what I see of the specs elsewhere. Its just being scaled to that no matter what you have it set at.
i was expecting this

Tutelary said:
Martyr said:
i was expecting this
Wait, doesn't the X360 render most things internally at only 720P and upscales / downscales internally depending on your video settings

Quote from AnandTech.com
There have been discussions involving at least one Xbox 360 game (Project Gotham Racing 3), rendering internally at a lower resolution and having the Xbox 360's TV encoder upscale it to 720p.

yeah, basically the choice is either let the 360 scale internally to 1080i and give that to the TV or give the TV 720p and let it scale to 1080i.

Your TV is a CRT. No commercial CRT's display 720p. The picture looks the same because of this:

If you choose 720p from the 360, your TV will take that signal, and upscale it to 1080i for display.

If you choose 1080i from the 360, your 360 will upscale it to 1080i and the TV will display it natively.

It looks the same because, either way, the image is still being upscaled to 1080i.

If you can't see a difference, then leave the 360 at 720p, that way your 360 wont have to do any scaling, and it'll save an extra step in the display process.

lesman said:
Your TV is a CRT. No commercial CRT's display 720p. The picture looks the same because of this:

If you choose 720p from the 360, your TV will take that signal, and upscale it to 1080i for display.

If you choose 1080i from the 360, your 360 will upscale it to 1080i and the TV will display it natively.

It looks the same because, either way, the image is still being upscaled to 1080i.

If you can't see a difference, then leave the 360 at 720p, that way your 360 wont have to do any scaling, and it'll save an extra step in the display process.
Additionally, the only reason to set your Xbox360 to 1080i would be if the upscaler inside it (the 360) was better than the one inside of your TV. Being that the 360 is newer, it could be the case...

Look for jitter or fine detail issues with the box at 720p where the TV is upscaling the picture to 1080i. Then, switch to 1080i on your 360 and see if anything is different/improved. That would answer your settings question.

Lesman hit all the points, I just mention it because I had that issue personally where my previous Samsung CRT HDTV did not like the 720p signal from the 360.

Switching the box to 1080i alleviated my particular set of issues at the time.

Back