I am getting a leadtek 6800 ULTRA how about you?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Love it´s behemoth sized copper cooler with it´s much quiter fan too.

It´s ugly as hell and that´s why I am getting it. That and the leadteks name and the Splinter Cell Pandora tomorrow and Prince of Persia Sands of time package plus all it´s dvd and video titles. About the best bundle I have seen so far for an 6800 ULTRA.

Ugly as hell but who cares ;)

So what are you getting and why?

I think it looks fine, and as for the bundle...its the best I've seen so far.
What DVD player comes with it? I'm looking for nvDVD 2.0 myself.

I bought the x800pro a couple of months ago, and its giving me incredible #s, full copper cooling arrives monday, i should be OCing much [H]arder then, look at sig

PNY 6800U because it was $350... thanks compusa... now send my card.

tranCendenZ, I have seen a few posts about your card... Do you have any screenshots of recent games with AA/AF on?

But from what I have read there is no bundle with the MSI 6800 ULTRA?

CSx-2011 said:
tranCendenZ, I have seen a few posts about your card... Do you have any screenshots of recent games with AA/AF on?

here are a couple

call of duty
codss.jpg

painkiller
pk1.jpg

Just a quick question about the GT. I just figured out they have the same heatsink as the ULTRA for the leadtek card. But the memory is it the same 1,6 ns memory or is that ULTRA Exclusive?

oqvist said:
Just a quick question about the GT. I just figured out they have the same heatsink as the ULTRA for the leadtek card. But the memory is it the same 1,6 ns memory or is that ULTRA Exclusive?

reference 6800GT boards use 2.0ns memory

that call of duty pic looks sweet to me, can't wait til monday:)( I should petition ups to deliver on weekends)

My BFG 6800Ultra OC with water block arrives July 13. I can't imagine the improvement it will be over the GF3 Ti550 I've had for more than two years.

One thing about the Leadtek's that WinFox software they included with their video cards is horrible. I would recommend to avoid using it, at all times

oqvist said:
What´s winfox and what do it do?

It is utilities that come with their card, allowing you to o/c etc. It had major issues conflicting with other software, and even device drivers

black_b[]x, sorry for the delayed reply. I thought I'd replied earler but must have done something wrong. The card came a day early. Actually arrived just as I was replying to you. LOL! I ordered it through the BFG site. When you click on the "Buy from BFG" words, it sends you to Chumbo for the order. I ordered on 27 June and it was shipped 9 July. Well within the advisory at Chumbo that this card is built to order and delivery can be expected within 1-2 weeks after placing the order.

damn, $600 is pretty steep. What size connectors are on there? it says 1/4", or 3/8" with an adapter, i'm assuming thats external diameter then? I'm looking to make my first watercooled rig, and was going to go with 1/2" ID tubing, sounds like that block would not fit, and if it did, would be a bit restrictive.

black_b[ ]x said:
damn, $600 is pretty steep. What size connectors are on there? it says 1/4", or 3/8" with an adapter, i'm assuming thats external diameter then? I'm looking to make my first watercooled rig, and was going to go with 1/2" ID tubing, sounds like that block would not fit, and if it did, would be a bit restrictive.

fork out for danger dens 6800 water block...problem solved

Yeah can´t imagine that Gainward can produce better waterblocks then DangerDen.

hehe no more nVidia for me... DON'T FALL IN THIER HOLE!
X800 XT is cheaper, colder, quieter, smaller, and performs better in anything that nVidia hasn't made hidden optimizations for.
Well, when I say cheaper, not that $50 difference matters up in that price range...
Colder means you can get massive overclocks on it since it will be easier to cool..
Quieter only matters if you're sticking with the stock cooler, unlike my planning to watercool it.
Smaller's good, one extra PCI slot... Yes yes, there are 1slot options, but the card is still collossal... + the 2 molex connectors, ouch.
Performance... well, just read [H]'s article on CPU scaling with vid cards... notice not the framerates, as they are all fairly close, but THE SETTINGS!

What are you dissatisfied with your Geforce 3 ti-500? How come since that was before nVidia started to cheat their drivers I can´t see how you got affected by that :p

Actually you should be proud owning a card with better filtering than the newer FX cards even though ghose Geforce 3 ti-500 tend to crap out at higher resolutions at least mine did poor RFI-filter or something people said ;)

Lol, it's back from the day when $300 would get you the BEST card on the market... and now it's also the hottest, literally... Back then, nVidia was worth something, but nowadays, they just aren't the best, and the best is exactly what I'm in the market for. I know it's a bit cocky of me, but hey, I will do anything for one more frame in doomIII this summer.
Say, if anyone wants it, I'll give for $40

You do realize that 6800 ULTRA will most likely outperform X800 XT PE in DOOM 3 ;) That´s the game these cards are literally built for ;)

If it wasn´t for Doom 3 no ULTRA shadow...

well whatever ATi looses in DoomIII it gains in HL2... and I'd be willing to bet that X800 XT is gonna outpreform 6800U in DoomIII anyway, considering how much of a gap in performace there is once you enable AA/AF on the XT. Plus, there's always more overclocking room on it. MUAHAH
I donno why people still buy nVidia... I say support ATi and give the small canadian company a chance to grow more.

krizzle ATI was founded long before nVidia and is the bigger company ;) They are not "small" in any sense of the word. Our job as consumers is not to be blind fanboys it´s to get whatever we think is best for our money. Considering how much sales nVidia lost with their FX series perhaps we should sponsor nvidia? I mean implementing shader model 3 on their 6800 cards didn´t come for free ;).

But to be honest I see no reason totally exclude buying a video card that isn´t that much slower and have features the other one don´t have. Me too if it wasn´t for stereo3d I would have kept my X800XT PE ;)

But IQ is more or less identical with those cards in my eyes nVidia is on the right track again if they would continue cheating I don´t think many would buy them again.

ATi, in terms of comany shares, IS NOT BIGGER THAN nVidia, never has been, but perhaps will be.
Founding date does not always matter.

You are wrong ATI has always been bigger than nVidia in the video card market. ATI produced video cards when there was no such thing as nVidia ;)

black_b[]x, the BFG card uses a Koolance water block with 1/4" fittings. Adapters are provided to connect with 3/8" tubing, but they are really big. I just used reducers and did my clamping away from the card. The tubing size is ID. Add 1/8" for OD size.

Yup, $600 is a bit to pay for a card. that alone doesn't seem bad when compared with eVGA Ultra EE cards going for $550. After all, you also get the water block and that makes prices very comparable. But....... add the water system cost and it really stacks up. My SwifTech 8600B cost $150 at Crazy PC and you can add the cost of reducers, 1/4" tubing and some clamps to that. Bear in mind that the BFG card was designed to interest folks who already have water cooling systems and would have minimum expense and trouble in hooking the cards up. Now, I'm a senior citizen with no bills to speak of, a fairly good retirement income, and I sold the car I bracket (drag) raced for many years. Cost kinda breaks even for me and I needed a new hobby! LOL!

My initial temperature test results are far better than I expected. If a person has cpu or case temp problems, this certainly will make things better.

Temps (centigrade): with GF3, system in 2d, cpu 31 and system 38. 3D apps drove these up to cpu 47-48 and system 44-45.

With BFG 6800, no change in 2D. For 3D, during a loop of rthdribl (3 runs) the cpu only went to 45 and the system to 36. The BFG GPU core went to 48 and ambient measured 38. These temps dropped quickly when testing ended. Durung a run of 3DMark 2001SE and 2003 the temps rose to GPU 45 and ambient 33 (case sides off) and GPU 47 ambient 40 (case sides on). Again, these drop quickly once tests are done. I took notes as carefully as I could during testing and hope no mistakes were made. The card arrived at lunchtime and I didn't leave the pc after that until almost 10 P.M. And, for what it's worth, the card comes with a GPU slowdown temp setting of 135C. Yes, 135C!

Card installation was a snap. I just followed the "Quick Install" guide (making allowances for different paths to delete drivers and disable devices). I was very relieved when the system came to life on powering up.

Installing the cooling system was actually very easy. My only personal touch was to install the radiator outside the case 80MM fan exhaust opening....... thus having two fans exhausting through it. Filling, bleeding, and leak testing were time consuming. Jumpered ATX connector pins 4 & 6 in an older PS and ran the pump from it. No leaks, but it took lots of patience to get the air bubbles out. I did all this at the kitchen table and gyrated the case through every possible position to remove trapped air. I think about 3 hours passed before I was finally satisfied enough to power up the system and install drivers.

My system is outdated and really showed it's age during 3DMark tests. This card is just the first move of a complete upgrade that will include a PCI-Express motherboard with AGP slot along with the fastest memory and cpu available. The card should really fly then. There is no point in overclocking the BFG card now from the out-of-the box performance settings of 470 clock and 1100 memory. 3DMark2001SE scores went from 8101 GF3 to 13453 BFG. 3dMark2003 went from 1077 (yes, that's right) with the GF3 to 11230 with BFG.

My biggest letdown was in comparing before and after performance in the various flight sims I enjoy. I do a lot of beta testing and really hoped for much better frame rates. Well, they didn't appear to change at all! I guess I'll put this down to immature drivers and my outdated system. Card performance is obviously available as judged by the artificial benchmarks. I guess time and more $ will convert artificial results to real world.

Now, the wait for future upgrades begins!

My system:
P4B-2.8 cpu
1GB pc2700 RAM
Antec True 550 PS
Abit SR7-8X motherboard
WD 1200JB HD
Creative 52X CD drice
LiteOn 52X24X52 CD burner
5 80MM fans not including PS in a 3DCool case
WinXP home SP1
DX9.0b
NV 61.21 drivers for the BFG card.

mustang said:
black_b[]x, the BFG card uses a Koolance water block with 1/4" fittings. Adapters are provided to connect with 3/8" tubing, but they are really big. I just used reducers and did my clamping away from the card. The tubing size is ID. Add 1/8" for OD size.

Yup, $600 is a bit to pay for a card. that alone doesn't seem bad when compared with eVGA Ultra EE cards going for $550. After all, you also get the water block and that makes prices very comparable. But....... add the water system cost and it really stacks up. My SwifTech 8600B cost $150 at Crazy PC and you can add the cost of reducers, 1/4" tubing and some clamps to that. Bear in mind that the BFG card was designed to interest folks who already have water cooling systems and would have minimum expense and trouble in hooking the cards up. Now, I'm a senior citizen with no bills to speak of, a fairly good retirement income, and I sold the car I bracket (drag) raced for many years. Cost kinda breaks even for me and I needed a new hobby! LOL!

My initial temperature test results are far better than I expected. If a person has cpu or case temp problems, this certainly will make things better.

Temps (centigrade): with GF3, system in 2d, cpu 31 and system 38. 3D apps drove these up to cpu 47-48 and system 44-45.

With BFG 6800, no change in 2D. For 3D, during a loop of rthdribl (3 runs) the cpu only went to 45 and the system to 36. The BFG GPU core went to 48 and ambient measured 38. These temps dropped quickly when testing ended. Durung a run of 3DMark 2001SE and 2003 the temps rose to GPU 45 and ambient 33 (case sides off) and GPU 47 ambient 40 (case sides on). Again, these drop quickly once tests are done. I took notes as carefully as I could during testing and hope no mistakes were made. The card arrived at lunchtime and I didn't leave the pc after that until almost 10 P.M. And, for what it's worth, the card comes with a GPU slowdown temp setting of 135C. Yes, 135C!

Card installation was a snap. I just followed the "Quick Install" guide (making allowances for different paths to delete drivers and disable devices). I was very relieved when the system came to life on powering up.

Installing the cooling system was actually very easy. My only personal touch was to install the radiator outside the case 80MM fan exhaust opening....... thus having two fans exhausting through it. Filling, bleeding, and leak testing were time consuming. Jumpered ATX connector pins 4 & 6 in an older PS and ran the pump from it. No leaks, but it took lots of patience to get the air bubbles out. I did all this at the kitchen table and gyrated the case through every possible position to remove trapped air. I think about 3 hours passed before I was finally satisfied enough to power up the system and install drivers.

My system is outdated and really showed it's age during 3DMark tests. This card is just the first move of a complete upgrade that will include a PCI-Express motherboard with AGP slot along with the fastest memory and cpu available. The card should really fly then. There is no point in overclocking the BFG card now from the out-of-the box performance settings of 470 clock and 1100 memory. 3DMark2001SE scores went from 8101 GF3 to 13453 BFG. 3dMark2003 went from 1077 (yes, that's right) with the GF3 to 11230 with BFG.

My biggest letdown was in comparing before and after performance in the various flight sims I enjoy. I do a lot of beta testing and really hoped for much better frame rates. Well, they didn't appear to change at all! I guess I'll put this down to immature drivers and my outdated system. Card performance is obviously available as judged by the artificial benchmarks. I guess time and more $ will convert artificial results to real world.

Now, the wait for future upgrades begins!

My system:
P4B-2.8 cpu
1GB pc2700 RAM
Antec True 550 PS
Abit SR7-8X motherboard
WD 1200JB HD
Creative 52X CD drice
LiteOn 52X24X52 CD burner
5 80MM fans not including PS in a 3DCool case
WinXP home SP1
DX9.0b
NV 61.21 drivers for the BFG card.

Go to 61.34's

oqvist said:
You are wrong ATI has always been bigger than nVidia in the video card market. ATI produced video cards when there was no such thing as nVidia ;)
Las time I looked at the shares:
NVDA 16.48, volume: 4,725,616 <---- MUCH BIGGER
ATYT 17.34, volume: 1,757,129

Varta also made batteries way before duracell existed. :)
Sorry to be so grouchy.

nVidia make mainboards and other stuff too you know ;). And I am not talking profit I am talking number of employees and sold video cards ;)

oqvist said:
nVidia make mainboards and other stuff too you know ;). And I am not talking profit I am talking number of employees and sold video cards ;)

Got sources to back up your BS claims? Link me your figures for "number of video cards sold". Is that even a valid comparison since NVIDIA doesn't directly sell cards?

oqvist said:

NVIDIA has dominated the market in terms of market share and total sales the past several years.

Back