How's a 1035t for gaming?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
How is a 1035t for gaming and general use at stock speeds. What kind of OC should I expect to get with one?

I would highly recommend you look at the 955 or 965 instead for gaming. The 955 is only $112 w/ free shipping via Amazon and a straight forward overclock without worrying about RAM dividers.
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=175015
There are 1035T's that overclock as well as the 1055T but I wouldn't personally count on it and with the 13x multiplier you may you run into your motherboard's HT reference clock ceiling before the chip's clock ceiling.

Overclock it and it is AWESOME! It has a decent multiplier (13X) and most boards can do 233 on the "fsb" so it'll run to at least 1075t speeds (3.0Ghz), and it's great at those speeds. Now, I have gotten up to 250 on the "FSB" on many of my AM3 chips. So you may have the potential of getting 3.2Ghz...and the high HTT and corresponding ram speeds will give you very nice performance. Also I believe it would also turbo up (you may be able to set this in the bios depending on your board) to 3.6Ghz. I have mine set to turbo 4 cores to 4.2Ghz (AMD Overdrive is great for this, you can get it at amd's site). I'm very happy with this cpu at stock and my overclock is the cherry on top.

Overall, I think it's a great deal. I considered this to upgrade my #3 machine.

Last edited:
Not the best but you could do worse. If you're overclocking get the 1055t for the 14 multi.

I agree with DedEmbryonicCe11. I have a 1055t, and it worked fine for overclocking, but a BE would be a lot easier, with a better outcome.

BD is almost here. I would wait for that to come out and have it drop the prices on the Phenom II line personally. Let the 1090T drop like a rock and pick up one of those.

Since the 1035t, 1055t and 1090t are so close in price now I'd spring for the 1090t. Or save your pennies, buy an AM3+ mobo and wait for buldozer

you dont need more than 4 cores for gaming. clock speed is needed more

There is a strong trend for real-time, GPU-bound software (IE: games) to prefer stronger threads over many threads. Even if software has the ability to utilize several threads, the stronger threads win out. That said, 2 weak cores < 4 weak cores < 6 weak cores, however: 4 strong cores > 6 weak cores.

This is in general. as always, some stand-out examples exist.

Be careful with broad statements like that....games like BFBC2 actually does use every core you can throw at it....

you dont need more than 4 cores for gaming. clock speed is needed more

BD is almost here. I would wait for that to come out and have it drop the prices on the Phenom II line personally. Let the 1090T drop like a rock and pick up one of those.

Agree with this. I would wait for BD to become available and then make a decision. it may be that a low end BD would be a better choice than a high end Phenom II, but either way the Phenom II's will drop in price new (and quite a few will likely pop up used as early adopters (myself included) plunge for the FX 8150 upgrade.

I would highly recommend you look at the 955 or 965 instead for gaming. The 955 is only $112 w/ free shipping via Amazon and a straight forward overclock without worrying about RAM dividers.
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=175015
There are 1035T's that overclock as well as the 1055T but I wouldn't personally count on it and with the 13x multiplier you may you run into your motherboard's HT reference clock ceiling before the chip's clock ceiling.

Agreed. if your priority is game performance, and you can't wait for bulldozer to bring down Phenom II prices, and a Black edition unlocked X6 is too much money for you, I would definitely go with an X4.

A higher clocked X4 will perform better in almost all games than a lower clocked X6 at the same price.

I built a rig for my stepson last December with a Phenom II X2 550BE. Both cores unlocked with ease, and it overclocked like a champ. At its final state as a 4.2Ghz X4 it performs better than my X6 1090T BE @4ghz does in games, and it cost $80 instead of $180...

I recently purchased a new 1090t on eBay for $120. It overclocks to 4ghz fairly easily as well. I love it!

BFBC2 doesn't use 6 cores??

It doesn't:

wykres_battlefield_cpudx10.png

How is a 1035t for gaming and general use at stock speeds. What kind of OC should I expect to get with one?

if you live near a microcenter i'd go for a faster chip and go with one of the cheaper boards.

I just set my friend up with a phenom II x6 1090t with a asus 990 board and it came with a 880 board for $20 bucks. He paid a total of $320 bucks.

He is going to put a bulldozer in the 990 and move the phenom to the cheap board for his kid when bulldozer comes out.

Overclock it and it is AWESOME! It has a decent multiplier (13X) and most boards can do 233 on the "fsb" so it'll run to at least 1075t speeds (3.0Ghz), and it's great at those speeds. Now, I have gotten up to 250 on the "FSB" on many of my AM3 chips. So you may have the potential of getting 3.2Ghz...and the high HTT and corresponding ram speeds will give you very nice performance. Also I believe it would also turbo up (you may be able to set this in the bios depending on your board) to 3.6Ghz. I have mine set to turbo 4 cores to 4.2Ghz (AMD Overdrive is great for this, you can get it at amd's site). I'm very happy with this cpu at stock and my overclock is the cherry on top.

Overall, I think it's a great deal. I considered this to upgrade my #3 machine.

I just upgraded one of my secondary machines from a Kuma 7750 -> 1035t. I got 3.2 @ 250fsb out of mine and Im only using a ultima 90 with dual 120mm's:D I got it on sale at new egg for $120. yes the Black editions could clock higher but for over 50 bucks more.

I just upgraded one of my secondary machines from a Kuma 7750 -> 1035t. I got 3.2 @ 250fsb out of mine and Im only using a ultima 90 with dual 120mm's:D I got it on sale at new egg for $120. yes the Black editions could clock higher but for over 50 bucks more.

Can't you push mobo a bit more ? Or mess a it with turbo modes in AMD overdrive tool?

Zarathustra[H];1037770936 said:
Could be because these benches use an older 5870, and are running at 1920x1200. They may be too GPU limited to show a difference.

i7 has almost 4 fps more in the same testplace so there was a bit of space for improvement.

Can't you push mobo a bit more ? Or mess a it with turbo modes in AMD overdrive tool?

I haven't put too much effort into this so far just a preliminary run at this point. I am new to turbo mode so while i have messed with overdrive before i dont know how to monkey with the turbo mode. I am behind the times in the ocing world i guess using bios to overclock fsb/htt is out of style.

I haven't put too much effort into this so far just a preliminary run at this point. I am new to turbo mode so while i have messed with overdrive before i dont know how to monkey with the turbo mode. I am behind the times in the ocing world i guess using bios to overclock fsb/htt is out of style.

Well especialy with AMD you could write PhD about all those multipliers and voltages :D

Zarathustra[H];1037770936 said:
Could be because these benches use an older 5870, and are running at 1920x1200. They may be too GPU limited to show a difference.

Thats probably it. The extra Intel hs is likely an increase of minimum frames here and there, affecting the average.

i had a q9650 @3.7ghz and my friend gave me the 1090T and i have to say at 3.8ghz i get less dips in games than with the core 2 quad .

Civ 5 has also become smoother.

Remember these tests that are done are with clean installs. I have othe rprograms that use resources while gaming. So i'm guessing the extra cores come into play with this

Back