How should I uninstall my drivers

ntherblast

Weaksauce
Hey all so it seems that the current drivers i'm using is corrupted or something because I am getting bsod and in the bugcheck it pointed to the nvlddmkm.sys not working. My card is a 570 gtx with 266.58 driver currently installed. Should I just install the new drivers over the old ones? Or should I uninstall in safe mode using device manager then use another software like driver sweeper to remove leftovers? Lastly should I uninstall everything like 3d, physics and high def?

If you have no other drivers other than nvidia for gpus,

1) control panel
2) use uninstall and remove the nvidia drivers, physix, nvidia control panel, etc.
3) assuming you D/L the new driver package, installl it and when the package asks you, perform a "clean install"...........it's the screen right after accepting the nvidia EULA.

4) I don't install junk I don't use.........I don't have 3D so why install it, I use a sound card so why install the nvidia audio. Whaqt you want are physx and graphics drivers only and you can do that under "custom install".

If you have no other drivers other than nvidia for gpus,

1) control panel
2) use uninstall and remove the nvidia drivers, physix, nvidia control panel, etc.
3) assuming you D/L the new driver package, installl it and when the package asks you, perform a "clean install"...........it's the screen right after accepting the nvidia EULA.

4) I don't install junk I don't use.........I don't have 3D so why install it, I use a sound card so why install the nvidia audio. Whaqt you want are physx and graphics drivers only and you can do that under "custom install".

Hmm thanks for the quick reply so using a third party software such as driver sweeper isn't needed?

safe mode? driver sweeper? um no. all you need to do is pick what you want to install and choose clean install and it will take of the rest.

safe mode? driver sweeper? um no. all you need to do is pick what you want to install and choose clean install and it will take of the rest.
This, the latest nvidia drivers include a clean install option, choose that and it'll remove all the old stuff. If you still have problems, that's when you try driver sweeper or whatev

Ok thanks what about safe mode?

There's nothing wrong with using drivercleaner or sweeper in safe mode.:D

But, with the latest nvidia drivers and their "clean install" option, you essentially are doing that anyway.

I generally will use a driver cleaner if I am going to change completely from AMD to nvidia or vice versa, but within the same company probably not needed unless you have a problem.

Hey all so it seems that the current drivers i'm using is corrupted or something because I am getting bsod and in the bugcheck it pointed to the nvlddmkm.sys not working. My card is a 570 gtx with 266.58 driver currently installed. Should I just install the new drivers over the old ones? Or should I uninstall in safe mode using device manager then use another software like driver sweeper to remove leftovers? Lastly should I uninstall everything like 3d, physics and high def?

Just uninstall them and check mark the clean install option when you install the newer Nvidia driver. If that fails, there is always drive sweeper ( http://www.phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html ).

Just uninstall them and check mark the clean install option when you install the newer Nvidia driver. If that fails, there is always drive sweeper ( http://www.phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html ).
that does not make sense because you don't uninstall anything yourself. check marking the clean install option will let Nvidia do the uninstall before installing the new driver. it has already been correctly explained and the OP has already correctly done the install.

that does not make sense because you don't uninstall anything yourself. check marking the clean install option will let Nvidia do the uninstall before installing the new driver. it has already been correctly explained and the OP has already done the deed.

Oh really? I just uninstall the driver first. Reboot then re-install the latest drivers with that clean install check box. Guess I learned something new.

Oh really? I just uninstall the driver first. Reboot then re-install the latest drivers with that clean install check box. Guess I learned something new.
yeah its almost too easy now if you do the correct way. no safe mode, no manual uninstall, reboot or anything to fool with.

I still do it the old school way and add needless steps to the process. I do this because I've learned the hard way over the years if the slighest thing gets screwed up during an uninstall or during a new driver install things go very badly to say the least. So my paranoid self still does the manual uninstall and then safe mode driver cleaner followed by CCleaner running a reg clean and then a fresh install (with the clean install option checked). I only install graphics drivers and physx. Nothing else. I do all that as to minimize any potential for problems or issues to arise during the unistall/install process. Can't help it, at this point to many years have passed and I will continue doing it this way for the forseeable future.

I used to subscribe to the uninstall, reboot, install new drivers. Sometimes I would also uninstall, reboot to safe mode, run a cleaner, reboot, install new, reboot even though I never had any problems with the first method. Some weirdos reinstall windows when upgrading drivers. Like I said - weirdos with either uncomplicated installs or lots of free time.

NV's most recent drivers, however, seem to have much more thorough installers/uninstallers. One thing that always pissed me off doing driver updates is that all of my game and other settings profiles would end up erased. The latest drivers seem to be intended to simply install "over top" of existing drivers. They will automatically run the uninstall script of the old, install themselves, and preserve all settings and profiles unless told to do a "clean install".

The next time I have to update, I'm just going to go "over top" so that all settings are retained or upgraded to new config file formats. I've never had a problem with uninstall/install in the past and the new ones do this automatically including preservation of config data. I don't forsee a major problem, but we'll see.

If you are having issues, which it looks like you are, then I would recommend a full control panel uninstall of everything related (PhysX, control panels, drivers, stereo/3D utilities, tweak tools - everything), reboot into safe mode, run a cleaner, reboot again and confirm that everything is back to Microsoft-provided drivers and then install a clean, fresh download of the latest production-grade drivers and reboot one last time.

I still do it the old school way and add needless steps to the process. I do this because I've learned the hard way over the years if the slighest thing gets screwed up during an uninstall or during a new driver install things go very badly to say the least. So my paranoid self still does the manual uninstall and then safe mode driver cleaner followed by CCleaner running a reg clean and then a fresh install (with the clean install option checked). I only install graphics drivers and physx. Nothing else. I do all that as to minimize any potential for problems or issues to arise during the unistall/install process. Can't help it, at this point to many years have passed and I will continue doing it this way for the forseeable future.
have fun wasting your time fun doing all that. I have never had trouble with drivers just installing them the way Nvidia recommends. before they had this installer with a clean install option, I would simply install the driver right on top of the previous one. that was actually recommended by Nvidia back then and again I never had an issue.

have fun wasting your time fun doing all that. I have never had trouble with drivers just installing them the way Nvidia recommends. before they had this installer with a clean install option, I would simply install the driver right on top of the previous one. that was actually recommended by Nvidia back then and again I never had an issue.

Dude relax your attitude first of all, no reason for that. Second, I already said I know I don't have to do all I do and why I do, so chill out. Third, way way back many years ago I installed drivers on top of each other and ran into small problems here and there pending on the system and what stars were aligned etc etc. So I decided at that point to better be safe than sorry and take a few extra steps to ensure minimal to no issues. That is all.

Back