how many guys in this forum are IT pros?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering. A lot of people here seem to build PCs for others.

Pro is so subjective...

I have been building my own computers since the 1990s when everything was loaded with jumpers.

But I also have to deal with temperature sensor networks. I didn't build them, but brainstormed them out with others.

Then there are the Deere RTK GPS and auto drive stuff I work with.

I guess I'm more an integrated type than a coder.

I wouldn't call someone who builds rigs for others an IT pro unless they did it for a living or at least for a decent amount of income as a side gig. IMHO Pro = professional = gets paid for the work. Exactly what sort of work counts and how much of it you need are the subjective parts. A lot of people here are like me and build their own rigs and occasionally help out a friend or family member with a build for free or gift parts to a friend or family member and help install them. I'm an IT pro unless you exclude software developers. I have a full time job writing code.

There are a good number of IT professionals here. I worked in a computer repair & general IT shop for a few years, and was the sole employee (other than the owner) for a handful of months (which is why I eventually left). Had me doing everything, including random on-site jobs (e.g. replacing a network at a dentist office). Now I make significantly more money doing something else altogether, which puts to waste all of my knowledge. But I still freelance and have a website that locals will find and use to contact me for the occasional freelance jobs. Currently I'm replacing a Macbook Air screen assembly for a cousin.

It's worth mentioning that IT is a huge field and the scope is wide. Some people have specialized knowledge and others have general knowledge. Usually you're better off just learning one specific thing within the field and become proficient at it, rather than the jack-of-all-trades approach that I've taken (I'm more of an enthusiast than a ladder climber).

I am not an "IT Pro" but I have built a few hundred PC's over the past 28 years for myself and others.
I am really good at diagnosing and fixing consumer PC's but don't have much experience with enterprise gear. same goes for networking, great with home stuff but no experience with enterprise units.
IT Pro to me means someone that is good with Enterprise hardware, networking, and software.

i dont call myself one but i guess you could, if you use the "gets paid for it" model. been an enthusiast for 30 years and been paid for it for 26. was the only tech at the only local shop for 8+ years, had my own company for a bit and did multi-million dollar server upgrade projects for several big, big companies via sub-contracts, but im not a businessman so shut that down, took 4 years off and did other interests while doing repairs on the side, and now have been a school tech for 5+ years. i typically reserve "pro" for those with proper training/schooling though. im self taught and have/had a couple certs, thats it.

I do dev ops /kubernetes and move docker container applications into the cloud.

Also spent 15+ years as QA and business analyst.

I'ma bloke git. That is just a foolish fellow who is worthless in most situations. I don't post a lot because I can't add much to a conversation and don't have enough tech knowledge to help out anyone in desperate need. I got into PCs because I didn't want to play Mike Tyson knock out I wanted to play D00M, and Wolfenstein, and Half Life. So I had to learn about assembling PCs because the PC stores in this area were greedy crooks who swapped out factory components for junk and charged full retail price.

You wanted SVGA monitor? Screw you! You get E(xtended)VGA monitor! (cheap ass brand as well)
You wanted IDE HDD? Screw you! You get MFM drive that you must manully park drive heads before turning off PC! If you forget, your HDD becomes a scratched vinyl record! etc...
I've assembled PCs for many family and friends but not as a business. Probably shouldn't have even done that but they didn't want to buy from the crooks.
I probably ought to be just a console peasant but I got "moar joi" from PC games. In all honesty I probably never deserved to even find a forum like [H], for all my "tech knowledge" I belong more with the gamerbros on reddit or wccfkek.
The only Pro thing I have ever been is a Procrastinator. Kudos to you people who succsessfully work in tech sectors, I wouldn't have this hobby without your expertise and guidance.

Back when I was in highschool I got my A+, Net+, and Security+ CompTia certs thinking I would be working somewhere in the IT industry. Now I work in the shipping industry... I'm probably the most knowledgeable "tech" person at my facility aside from the some of the actual IT guys we have.
My brain is just full of random PC component statistics and information. I like to collect weird and odd old computer hardware and there was a time where on the side I was just buying up, parting out and or refurbishing used machines and hardware for resale, with some of what I bought just going to my collection or just personal use.
I usually build 4-6 computers a year which is usually just me swapping my main build into a deferent case or doing a build for a friend/family member.
I also have a rack with a few rack servers running my homelab that I do hardware maintenance/upgrades on periodically.

I've been tinkering with computers since '96 when I was... 12?

Got my A+ cert and almost took the Net+ but the MSP I worked for said I didn't need it considering my position was primarily sales-related....

After working at that MSP, I can say my tech prowess is def way above the average-joe but bottom-rung compared to the IT Engineer/Jedi-types I was working with etc.

TLDR: Can I manage/setup machines/servers/AD/Exchange/o365/VM environments? Yes. Can I write Powershell scripts? Yes || Can I design/configure a complex networking environment with DoD-level security requirements? NOPE.

Not a pro. I use google to solve all the problems people be having. If i can't solve, build new pc is the answer. Can't remove virus? reformat!

I do it to look smart and useful to all my family and friends. I just saved a bunch of money by switching to geico.

I've been working in the IT industry since I was 17. I lied about my age to get the job and they didn't really check. (Small company.) I'm now 44. I've worked as a contractor for IT outsourcing firms and as a result of that, I've probably worked at 30 different companies give or take. I also spent a couple years working full or part time (part time in addition to IT work) at Best Buy and Comp USA as a computer technician. This was before the Geek Squad days and back then, hardware repairs were different than they are now. Things were much less modular. We used to have to repair LCD panels by replacing the bad layer in the panel, the wiring harness, inverter or what have you. I also worked at the centralized service center where the store would ship systems to be repaired. That was a high volume service center where we had quotas to meet for repairs every day.

Between all of that, I've built, serviced, deployed, and maintained many tens of thousands of systems including desktops, laptops, workstations, servers, blade enclosures, and even printers and monitors.

As I like to say to anyone who asks;

"I can computer." :cool:

Never officially worked in IT. But I have quite a few random certs I picked up over the years from work paying for various training that is job related. By degree I have a BSE-CE, working as a principal strategic engineer in nuclear process computers & cyber security. I don't stay at the Holiday Inns though, but their pankcake machines are cool when I was forced to stay at one.

I've been building and maintaining public safety technology systems of various flavors for 22 years. Everyday something makes me a feel like a complete noob. The only "pro" thing about me is I've gained enough sense over the years to understand that there is always a new lesson to learn.

As the OP on this thread, I can categorically say that most of you guys are way ahead of me. I've been a user and then a power user since the days of IBM 370 mainframes. Punch cards and all that. PCs since the CP/M days. But what you guys do is way beyond my pay grade. Like, I have no certs except an expired CISSP.

Last edited:
As the OP on this thread, I can categorically that most of you guys are way ahead of me. I've been a user and then a power user since the days of IBM 370 mainframes. Punch cards and all that. PCs since the CP/M days. But what you guys do is way beyond my pay grade. Like, I have no certs except an expired CISSP.
Most of my certifications were for hardware service. Outside of the A+ which doesn't expire, everything else I have is no longer valid. After being in this industry for nearly 30 years, I get jobs based on experience alone. Certifications are nice but there are a lot of guys who get certifications right out of school or while in school that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

IT Pro here. Built many of systems for people over the years but that's not what I do professionally nor what I would consider a system builder an IT Professional.

Most of my certifications were for hardware service. Outside of the A+ which doesn't expire, everything else I have is no longer valid. After being in this industry for nearly 30 years, I get jobs based on experience alone. Certifications are nice but there are a lot of guys who get certifications right out of school or while in school that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Same. The few certs for my level require you to "catch up" on piles of prior ones and then spend $$$$ to get them - and wouldn't get me much (VCDX, CCIE, etc).

IT Pro here. Built many of systems for people over the years but that's not what I do professionally nor what I would consider a system builder an IT Professional.
OK. To me, someone who builds system for others, but not for money falls in a grey area. However, someone who builds systems for pay is an IT pro, but just on hardware and probably Windows installs.

Same. The few certs for my level require you to "catch up" on piles of prior ones and then spend $$$$ to get them - and wouldn't get me much (VCDX, CCIE, etc).
Which is why I let my CISSP expire. I got it so that I could a job more easily, but once you get to a certain career point, it doesn't matter so much. I could still say that I passed the test first time I took it, which only 40% do.

not me, i grew up around computers. my dad was a programmer back in the 90s...bit before too. ran a software business out of the basement until it ultimately failed. learned most of what i know that way. so yeah thats how i got into building computers and other such things.

i almost went the programming route after high school simply because i was very good at it in high school. i was top of the class by far so it seemed natural. until i realized that i didn't want to do it for a job....

in the end i work at a nuclear power plant. i find old machines far more interesting.

First career orientated job was in 2001 as a Linux administrator, been an IBM Power/AIX Engineer since 2007.

Started as a dial-up help desk tech in 1999 and been doing IT professionally since then. Internal IT/IS for companies for the last 21ish years. I've maybe built a few dozen machines from components and have supported thousands of endpoints from big OEMs. Servers, ERP systems, SANs/LANs/WANs. Knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep about allot. I manage people, partners, and projects as much as systems these days. The complexity of IT these days is immense and I perpetually feel too dumb. Rarely a day goes by when I don't have to learn/fix/create something brand new to me. I'm closer to retirement than I am to an intern and still don't think I'm a "Pro" or a master or whatever. Somehow I've fooled everyone that I'm good with computers for 20+ years. Fake it 'till you make it I guess. ;)

Tinkered with digital circuits since the mid 70s.
Worked in a government position (engineering) for years and got fed up with their IT folk so I learned the trade, got certs and stuff.
Took early out (retirement) around 2000 and started consulting for wide range of trades in information tech and cyber security.
Built and designed systems from simple desktop PC to engineering cooling systems for multiple megawatt datacenters.
Also designed micro cooling systems for diode pumped solid state laser systems that needed parts to be cooled and heated just millimeters apart!
Custom water cooling systems for large amplifiers and stage equipment.

Pro is such a strong word...

Been messing up computers since 1996, and getting paid to do it since 2004'ish.

Been in IT for 25 Years Give or take. been in everything from Break Fix to Project Management. Currently, just working as a jack of all trades Helpdesk / Field Service Engineer for BP. Getting back on my feet after caring for family for a couple years. I'm 50 as of October. Have been building PC's since they had IO and DMA Jumpers you had to manually configure. I have stitches in a knuckle from at least one sharp case I worked on back in 1994-95. Was a big proponent of CD-ROM drives working at a computer store at Purdue University when the owner thought they were a gimmick. The professional IT industry is a meat grinder of back stabbing and nearly zero advancement if you're stuck in middle management hell like I have been. I'm burned out, gain almost no satisfaction from building my own PCs anymore (thought I still do it) and I'm glad the [H] is still around in some capacity. This has been my site of choice for advice and knowledge for well over the indicated join date. I still enjoy coming here and lurking and reading.

I guess I'm an expert at this shit but... no one can know everything. Lots of experts on here and lots of help. Best damn technical forum for PCs on the planet.

just realized this is in the mobo section, odd place for it....
Maybe...

Screenshot_20231127-160624.png

Been in IT for 25 Years Give or take. been in everything from Break Fix to Project Management. Currently, just working as a jack of all trades Helpdesk / Field Service Engineer for BP. Getting back on my feet after caring for family for a couple years. I'm 50 as of October. Have been building PC's since they had IO and DMA Jumpers you had to manually configure.
Yeah, me too. I don't much miss those days. Also don't miss the days of Hayes-compatible modems and configuring modem7 (IIRC).

The professional IT industry is a meat grinder of back stabbing and nearly zero advancement if you're stuck in middle management hell like I have been.
More than other industries?
I'm glad the [H] is still around in some capacity. This has been my site of choice for advice and knowledge for well over the indicated join date. I still enjoy coming here and lurking and reading.

Me too, even though I joined only a few years ago.
Lots of experts on here and lots of help. Best damn technical forum for PCs on the planet.
Absolutely! It's my GO TO tech forum.

OK. To me, someone who builds system for others, but not for money falls in a grey area. However, someone who builds systems for pay is an IT pro, but just on hardware and probably Windows installs.
Yeah, I suppose a "system builder" can be included in the "IT Professional" umbrella. But that's a skill that should be included in the toolbox of any desktop technician.

20 years of IT. Mostly geared towards systems administration.

I'm a techie as well, so I enjoy tinkering & building with PCs, electronics & game consoles.

Back