How hot can it get?

Gawd
How hot can I let my Barton 2500+ get? Just stress tested it for an hour or so, and it got up to a max of 70C. (It is overclocked)

Should I be fine at those temps?

Will it shutoff/throttle control itself before it fries?

Thanks.

That might be a little too hot for your barton.
I have a thunderbird that can run at like 70c just cause my thunderbird CPU is ment to run warm.My thunderbird cpu is locked at 10.5 Mutiplier so it gets more(than normal CPUs) voltage and makes it run warmer. With your barton that might be a little too hot.
71c frys most chips.

Throttling/turning off isn't done by the CPU for AMD, at least not for the AthlonXPs. Intel's P4 can do it though. For AMD, it is something that specific motherboards will do -- my motherboard lets me set temps and fan speed warnings to shut down my computer.

Oh, and on my Dual AthlonXP->MP rig (@ 2.4GHz & 1.7v -- 35Watt Mobile 2400+) my temps are in the upper 40's and lower to mid 50's while under load. My processors are rated for 100c meltdown temps (according to their packaging), although I'd still not want to go above 70c. Ambient temps are usually 30-35c or so.

You may want to consider working on cooling your computer better. But if you can dig up the numbers printed on your processor, you can head to Fab51 and decode what they mean for your processor. In my case -- "AMD2400FJQ4C" pretty much means my 2400+ processor is rated for 1.35v, 100c temps, has 512k L2, and runs 266MHz for the bus.

Mobiles are teh hax. But don't expect it to operate at 100°C.. there would simply be too much noise for it to distinguish noise from signal.

Yeah, 70C seems way too hot. My mobile got to 96C once(temp taken from BIOS), because my dad turned my smartfan 2 on my HS down to 1500RPM and I'm very lucky my chip survived.

Back