how heavy are these VR head set?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDu4gxd7Gtw

at CNBC this morning, the host is saying his tested Apple vision pro head set is very heavy, the battery is 2 hr., but he said it's too heavy for him even for 1 hr. He also said about the issue of nauseous.

Now the Youtube is from some brand VR head set, not the Apple ver., but for most of these VR headset:

a) is the headset too heavy, how much does it weighs?

b) does the user get nauseous, and how long?

c) what types of games is VR head set good at? besides flight /space simulator like the above?

Last edited:
It depends.
It depends.
Both of these are user dependent. My brother gets nauseous from playing FPS games. So I could ask you the question of: how long does it take for you to get nauseous playing Wolfenstein 3d? And the answer could just be: you don't. Or how long does it take for you to get sea sick?: and that also depends. If you're an experienced sailor, also probably never. For you it could be 5 minutes.

As for specs: https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/specs/
Apple Vision Pros weight is: 21.2–22.9 ounces (600–650 g).

Which considering it contains a full computer and is likely very balanced from front to back probably feels like one of the most comfortable of its type. Even without having worn one, I know that specifically ergonomics will be an area that Apple likely poured a massive amount of design hours into. So I would "assume" that if users consider the Apple Vision Pro to be too heavy, they'll consider most any HMD to be too heavy.

Here is the Meta Quest Pro as a "reasonable" comparison (although it is capable of far less than Vision Pro):
https://www.meta.com/quest/quest-pro/tech-specs/

It weighs 722g.

Which for us imperial people is a solid 1/4 lbs more than Apple's solution.

Here is Hololens 2 (which is more closely comparable 1:1 with Vision Pro):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/hololens/hardware#document-experiences

It weighs: 566g

Which is roughly 50g or 1.76-2 oz difference between it and the Apple Vision Pro.

The Quest 3 is a significant amount lighter, but I would not consider it even to be in the realm of equivalent device.
https://www.meta.com/quest/quest-3/

It weighs: 515g.

Last edited:
1) as long as these gear has windows 10 driver, then is it true that all it needs is the game also support that particular brand / model of VR headset?

2) it looks like the most common brand is Oculus, not any of the above

3) it appears the motion sickness problem is more serious than the lack of chatter about it. I really like this video, the guy explains why a person would have motion sickness. So now I wonder if it's worth it to dive into VR headset.

4) and why does the headset c/w speaker? wouldn't it be better sound by piping the sound to the actual speaker of your PC?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GezPEqs_k&t=701s

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDu4gxd7Gtw

at CNBC this morning, the host is saying his tested Apple vision pro head set is very heavy, the battery is 2 hr., but he said it's too heavy for him even for 1 hr. He also said about the issue of nauseous.

Now the Youtube is from some brand VR head set, not the Apple ver., but for most of these VR headset:

c) what types of games is VR head set good at? besides flight /space simulator like the above?

Nausea welcome to the club.

1) as long as these gear has windows 10 driver, then is it true that all it needs is the game also support that particular brand / model of VR headset?
It depends. Generally yes. If your intention is gaming, then you should not even consider Apple Vision Pro.
2) it looks like the most common brand is Oculus, not any of the above
First, Oculus is also made by Meta. I listed 2 Meta headsets.

Second: where your assumption lines up incorrectly is the reason why I listed what I did is because those are "closer in equivalence" to Apple Vision Pro.

The Oculus Rift is not an equivalent device or even in the same ball park. Really HoloLens 2 is the closest, but I gave Meta the benefit of the doubt. Meta Quest Pro is also "supposed to be" a professional device. However both Hololens 2 and Apple Vision Pro are in an entirely different class of HMD as compared to any other currently available HMD. Those two are designed for professionals and are priced as such. Oculus Rift, and Meta Quest 3 are both for consumers.

Apple Vision Pro will likely be sold the absolute least out of all HMD's (or perhaps only exceeding Meta Quest Pro sales). So if you're going by popularity then already this discussion isn't relevant.
3) it appears the motion sickness problem is more serious than the lack of chatter about it. I really like this video, the guy explains why a person would have motion sickness. So now I wonder if it's worth it to dive into VR headset.
It depends. You'd have to try it to find out.
How would you know if you get sea sick if you've never been in a boat?
4) and why does the headset c/w speaker? wouldn't it be better sound by piping the sound to the actual speaker of your PC?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GezPEqs_k&t=701s

No. I think you're missing the point of VR. In real life if you head moves the direction where your sound comes also changes. Your speakers stay in one place, and therefore cannot follow you to emulate what sound would be like in proximity to other things. Lets say you have a virtual car behind you on the other side of the room. As you approach it it should get louder etc. How would speakers stuck on the other side of the room make that sound realistic? The answer is: they can't.

The only headset I've tried is the PSVR2. I found the weight to be acceptable (wore it for 2+ hours and my head/neck were totally fine).

I did however get a really bad migraine the first time I tried it, as I naively turned off all the anti-motion-sickness features in game (Horizon: Call of the Mountain).

does most game has anti-motion sickness feature? if so, why would anyone wants to turn it ON in the first place?

I've only played one game, but i believe anti-motion sickness features are pretty common, yes.

Do you mean why would you turn them OFF? For me it was an annoyance at the graphical changes that they cause, and a lack of knowledge of why they were needed! Moral of the story is to read more before engaging 😅

that EA game w/ the VR head set is impressive, but overall, it looks like there is a lot of baggage on VR, I heard of those motion sickness problem many yr. ago, and clearly they never fix it. I wonder how long does it take for the effect to wear off before you can do normal things like driving? otherwise, these large co. is going to end up having law suit eventually

VR does take a bit to get used to because of the mild disorientation but I haven't experienced motion sickness from it. I've never been sea sick either (4 days on a Navy ship in a western Pacific typhoon) so I may be less susceptible than most. There are steps to take to alleviate it's effect on you if it does have a negative effect. When I first started gaming in VR the disorienting effect was a bit nauseating but you can limit your exposure to it to short intervals and it quickly goes away. When you hit the first feeling of nausea you have to stop and take a break or it could accumulate into motion sickness. I think of it as building up your tolerance to it and after a couple weeks of short intervals I could go hours at a time without a break except to let my eyes breathe a little because of the humidity that can build in the headset during the warmer months.

I agree w/ you that everyone is different. So in the interest of saving hundreds of dollar , I suppose the only way to test whether VR is for me is to go to the arcade then? Either that or try the Amazon ?? days return policy

but having said that, it could get progessively worse thru time

I never got nauseous, but the first time I played VR I nearly fell over when I stood up after playing for barely an hour.
I agree w/ you that everyone is different. So in the interest of saving hundreds of dollar , I suppose the only way to test whether VR is for me is to go to the arcade then? Either that or try the Amazon ?? days return policy

but having said that, it could get progessively worse thru time
No, you will get more used to it over time. The feeling of disorientation I had was already gone by the third time I used my headset, but again it will be different for everybody. If you easily get motion sickness that feeling may never go away.
The only headset I've tried is the PSVR2. I found the weight to be acceptable (wore it for 2+ hours and my head/neck were totally fine).

I did however get a really bad migraine the first time I tried it, as I naively turned off all the anti-motion-sickness features in game (Horizon: Call of the Mountain).
The PSVR2 weighs 560 grams, for reference. The original weighed more than 600 grams, and my neck would start to get sore after playing for more than an hour at a time. 500'ish grams seems to be the sweet spot, but lighter is always going to be better.

Back