How fast should a SSD drive boot up to Windows?

rivrbyte

Limp Gawd
How fast should a SSD drive boot to the windows desktop?

Intel i7 4770 3.4GHz / MSI B85-G41 PC Mate MB / 16GB DDR3 (1600) / WIN7 64 PRO

I finished loading all drivers ,programs onto a new 250GB SSD EVO 840 by Samsung. I went to the Task Mgr, and saw about 100 services/processes going on, where on ,my last computer there were only about half the amount. :confused:

I recently rebuilt my system and this time, I bought a Samsung 840 SDD 250GB Boot drive, because I hear it's soooo fast, with programs opening up much faster than the regular hard drives.

Although Photoshop opens within seconds, but from the time I turn my computer on, until I see the MSI Logo Boot screen is 35 seconds. Then it takes about one and a half minutes to fully get to the desktop screen.

Is this a normal boot time from when I turn on the computer to the windows desktop? TWO MINUTES????

I thought the new Solid state drives were supposed to be lightning faster than the regular HDD's.

Thank you!

Is this a normal boot time from when I turn on the computer to the windows desktop? TWO MINUTES????

The time should be less than 20 seconds.

I thought the new Solid state drives were supposed to be lightning faster than the regular HDD's.

They are orders of magnitude faster.

but from the time I turn my computer on, until I see the MSI Logo Boot screen is 35 seconds.

Problem with your bios or DOA drive?

Is this a new Windows install?

Reset the CMOS, it looks like the motherboard isnt happy.

You should be at a functional desktop in less than 20 seconds with all the extras loading in the background after that. You definitely have an issue.

And 100 processes on a fresh install is not normal. If you didn't do a fresh install of Windows after rebuilding and/ or upgrading your system, that's a huge mistake.

Reset the CMOS, it looks like the motherboard isnt happy.

Maybe also temporarily remove any unnecessary hardware. Like sound cards and extra hard drives.

With similar specs to your machine, the Samsung 840 PRO SSD I use as boot drive takes literally 8 seconds from BIOS screen to desktop. BIOS takes 10 seconds. So 18 seconds in total.

If a fresh install, and the BIOS Splash screen taking so long to initialise, it looks like the BIOS is running checks on the hardware or not configured correctly.

100 processes on W7 x64 is about right TBH.

From the time the POST and motherboard related things finish and websites begins to load, it should be on the order of seconds for your desktop to load and the system be responsive. What SATA version port is the drive using?

There is something wrong with your rig, should be under 30 seconds every time.
AHCI in the right mode?

Your mobo has both SATA II and III ports. The native Intel sataIII ports are the fastest ones. If you plugged to SATAII by accident it's going to cut your ssd speed in half.

I have observed that motherboards with different BIOS/UEFI boot faster or slower.

For example -- there was one computer I have encountered before that despite having modern DDR3 RAM and i3/i5 CPU, was taking at least 7 seconds longer to boot even when I've configured settings to be as optimal as possible (such as boot priority list have only the SSD, no other device; fast boot enabled; etc).

To contrast, I've once also encountered a laptop that had an extremely lightweight BIOS/UEFI. I mean, it was so lightweight that it booted TO DESKTOP from power button press in less than 5 seconds (no hibernation or sleep involved). :eek:

But generally, it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. In some cases, like with the above example, it is possible it could take upwards of 45 seconds (would be even worse with an HDD though).

If you plugged to SATAII by accident it's going to cut your ssd speed in half.

It may cut your sequential benchmark score in half however this will have very little impact on OS boot (since that will be dominated by small reads) or most other applications since they do not read or write in large enough chunks.

Last edited:
I would say ~50-60 processes is about right for W7 64. I have multiple things open right now and am sitting at 73...

From BIOS boot screen to windows log on screen is under 10 seconds on mine

Something isn't right then. Did you do a clone or a fresh build? Maybe the motherboard drivers are having conflict? I know if you did a clone from HDD > SSD you're going to lose up to 50% performance do to misalignment (unless you manually fix it), but even then my SSD still blew away the previous RAID0 3 disk array I had replaced it with and boot times were always way less then a minute.

Thanks all!
The SSD is connected to SATA # 1.

I only have another 2TB HDD for storage, and that is connected to SATA #2.

My case Sata, and my ASUS Optical drive is in the other SATA #3,#4, and #5 slower ports.

My Case is a CoolerMaster 690II mATX tower. My MB is a MSI B85-G41 PC mate, and I did not see in the Bios anywhere to change the ACH setting.

Another weird thing is when I changed the boot sequence back from Boot from CD, (after installing the OS) to the 840 EVO SSD Hard drive, where the OS is, it kept giving me the "NTLDR is missing" error message, then I went back the bios and switched the boot order to boot from the UEF1 drive??? What?

What us this UEF1, and why does it boot from there, and not from the SSD, where the alas is located?

The other day, before all thus new crap was happening, when I was getting a lot of the NTLDR messages, I went back into the bios, and 'Restore Defaults', then it booted Into windows normally.

The whole purpose of the new SSD for boot,is faster OS, and programs loading faster.

YES, this was a new MB,PSU,CPU,RAM, and a FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS 7 PRO (64)

Thanks!

Thanks all!
The SSD is connected to SATA # 1.

I only have another 2TB HDD for storage, and that is connected to SATA #2.

My case Sata, and my ASUS Optical drive is in the other SATA #3,#4, and #5 slower ports.

My Case is a CoolerMaster 690II mATX tower. My MB is a MSI B85-G41 PC mate, and I did not see in the Bios anywhere to change the ACH setting.

Another weird thing is when I changed the boot sequence back from Boot from CD, (after installing the OS) to the 840 EVO SSD Hard drive, where the OS is, it kept giving me the "NTLDR is missing" error message, then I went back the bios and switched the boot order to boot from the UEF1 drive??? What?

What us this UEF1, and why does it boot from there, and not from the SSD, where the alas is located?

The other day, before all thus new crap was happening, when I was getting a lot of the NTLDR messages, I went back into the bios, and 'Restore Defaults', then it booted Into windows normally.

The whole purpose of the new SSD for boot,is faster OS, and programs loading faster.

YES, this was a new MB,PSU,CPU,RAM, and a FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS 7 PRO (64)

Thanks!

Hi, rivrbyte,

Check in the BIOS for something like Integrated Peripherals and then under the RAID option set the SATA ports to ACHI.

Hope this helps.

I've only seen two machines running SSD's personally. Both were less than 30 seconds to desktop for sure. Matter of fact, I will say the machine with Windows 8.1 was 15 seconds or so.

When I switched from an HDD to SSD, Windows really didn't boot any faster. The big difference I noticed is the response time when opening different windows and applications; stuff popped up quicker. Even when I switched from an old Vertex 2 to Samsung EVO SSD, boot times and application performance was identical.

Point is, I think there's a big misconception out there about what SSD's do for you. Don't be fooled by the large sequential numbers you see in benchmarks. There's very few scenarios where that type of speed comes into effect.

But as a comparison, my system (Samsung EVO) takes about 45 seconds to load Windows 7 and finish loading the notification icons (task tray). 10 seconds of that is just waiting for the video card bios screen to pop up, though. I have 40 services that start.

Last edited:
Did you do the install of Windows with only the SSD and CD/DVD drive hooked up? If not, I am betting that Windows actually installed some files on another one of the drives without saying so. This used to happen with XP all the time.

I never tested it with 7, but always make sure to only have the drive that will be my boot drive hooked up when I do an install of Windows.

I just did a fresh install of Win7 on a z87 board with a Crucial M500 drive and the boot time is definitely less than 15s to log on, probably around 10s. From a quick google search, NTLDR is only from Windows XP and older installations. Did you upgrade or start on an empty drive with a full copy of Win7?

After you do a boot up check the event viewer for any errors during the boot process. This is the best way to track down what the problem is.

I had a work laptop with Win7 take 2+ minutes to boot too. It was some process the IT department added that was timing out. Found it easily in Event viewer.

The 35 seconds to boot logo is definitely not normal. It should be less than 5 seconds. I would check your hardware and your bios settings. It may be faulty RAM or motherboard or something.

The biggest difference on an SSD should be the time between when you get the desktop/start menu and when things become actually usable. This should be like...0 seconds on an SSD. Versus a HDD before when it was really about 30 sec - 1 minute before things became actually usable (as stuff started up in the background).

I'm curious as to how people are measuring "boot up" time. Measuring from the time the power button is pressed to desktop, or measuring from the time the Windows logo appears to desktop?

It takes my system 10 seconds just to get to the GPU bios screen if I start timing when I press the power button.

I am talking from when the button is pushed.

Friend just bought his son a new Dell laptop with SSD installed. It's to the Windows login screen in about 10 seconds.... I actually demanded he shut it down and try again because I didn't believe it.

I am talking from when the button is pushed.

Friend just bought his son a new Dell laptop with SSD installed. It's to the Windows login screen in about 10 seconds.... I actually demanded he shut it down and try again because I didn't believe it.

UEFI / Windows 8 laptops boot crazy fast. I just put my old Intel 120GB from my desktop into my new Asus n550jv laptop...boots up in seconds. On my desktop there was a good 20 seconds of BIOS / AHCI detection / etc.

I'm curious as to how people are measuring "boot up" time. Measuring from the time the power button is pressed to desktop, or measuring from the time the Windows logo appears to desktop?

It takes my system 10 seconds just to get to the GPU bios screen if I start timing when I press the power button.

I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my sig rig the other day.

On a cold boot from power button press to Windows login screen, it is less than 10 seconds. It is way faster than 8.1 was before which I had done the upgrade from 8.0.

From logon screen to useable, it is pretty much instant.

I don't even get a Windows loading screen anymore, it gives an ASROCK logo with the progress circle thing instead of the Windows logo.

I measure from BIOS splash screen to Windows Log on screen. It's about 7 seconds on my PC. Once I'm logged in, I don't notice any kind of delay in launching apps, so I assume everything is loaded.

Back