How can I find out how much power I will need?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
A buddy of mine just gave me his old setup with a dead ps which has the following specs:

-E6400
-2 gigs ram
-3 harddrives
-ati radeon x850 xt video card
-lots of fans (antec 900 case)
-2 dvd rom drives

The dead ps is a 350 w version and I was thinking about getting the same but was wondering if this system is pushing the limit of the 350w.

Is there anyway to manually calculate how much each item needs?

thanks

i like to use this one from enermax

http://www.enermax.outervision.com/index.jsp

looks a lot like the extreme version just mentioned but it can also take into account a selection of upto four gpus for 3-way & 4way sli power ratings :)
If you haven't noticed, that and the Antec calculator are just variants of the same one. However, to get access to more advanced settings with the standard Extreme Outervision calculator, you have to pay, so the one you linked is actually better to use. Keep in mind that it is no more accurate, and any values you get from it should be taken as ballpark numbers, not as definite power requirements.

If you haven't noticed, that and the Antec calculator are just variants of the same one. However, to get access to more advanced settings with the standard Extreme Outervision calculator, you have to pay, so the one you linked is actually better to use. Keep in mind that it is no more accurate, and any values you get from it should be taken as ballpark numbers, not as definite power requirements.

How should we interpret those numbers? I mean, should we always exceed the estimated value or can get get something lower as long as its close to that value.

For example, I tried the Enermax one to estimate my next system, and I got 894W. Can I get away with a 850W PSU, or do I need to get a 1000W?

Thanks

Hornet, always better to overbuy than underbuy. Overtaxing a PS can take out other components as well so ALWAYS buy more than you need.

Allan

How should we interpret those numbers? I mean, should we always exceed the estimated value or can get get something lower as long as its close to that value.

For example, I tried the Enermax one to estimate my next system, and I got 894W. Can I get away with a 850W PSU, or do I need to get a 1000W?

Thanks
There's no rule. The estimate can be either too high or too low. The best thing to do is come to a forum like this one and ask.

Back