How An Autistic Boy Became BFF With Apple’s Siri

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only is this your feel good story of the day, it is probably the best use of Siri we have ever heard of.

Just how bad a mother am I? I wondered, as I watched my 13-year-old son deep in conversation with Siri. Gus has autism, and Siri, Apple’s “intelligent personal assistant” on the iPhone, is currently his BFF.

"It all began simply enough. I’d just read one of those ubiquitous Internet lists called “21 Things You Didn’t Know Your iPhone Could Do.” One of them was this: I could ask Siri, “What planes are above me right now?” and Siri would bark back, “Checking my sources.” Almost instantly there was a list of actual flights — numbers, altitudes, angles — above my head."

Whaaaaaaaaat?

"It all began simply enough. I’d just read one of those ubiquitous Internet lists called “21 Things You Didn’t Know Your iPhone Could Do.” One of them was this: I could ask Siri, “What planes are above me right now?” and Siri would bark back, “Checking my sources.” Almost instantly there was a list of actual flights — numbers, altitudes, angles — above my head."

Whaaaaaaaaat?

I know right... that information in the wrong hands could be bad. No need to take over a control tower anymore.

I dunno... Seriously, I'm tempted to try it to see how it would work for my step-son... He is borderline Asberger's possibly but DEFINITELY AD"mother fricking HUGE H"D and dyslexic, so he hates reading...

I got him trying to play WoW now after he caught me playing it and it forces him to read the quests... the crying he went through trying to figure out how to get his Worgen onto the boats to kill the captains was instructive to him.... Cliffs "Read the quest, it tells you what to do." I'm thinking I might scrounge an old iphone 4+ from work to try this. Can anyone verify that this works as in the article???

I know right... that information in the wrong hands could be bad. No need to take over a control tower anymore.

It's not like that information hasn't been publicly available online for years now. What sort of nefarious deeds would you possibly be able to do with that information anyway?

I dunno... Seriously, I'm tempted to try it to see how it would work for my step-son... He is borderline Asberger's possibly but DEFINITELY AD"mother fricking HUGE H"D and dyslexic, so he hates reading...

I got him trying to play WoW now after he caught me playing it and it forces him to read the quests... the crying he went through trying to figure out how to get his Worgen onto the boats to kill the captains was instructive to him.... Cliffs "Read the quest, it tells you what to do." I'm thinking I might scrounge an old iphone 4+ from work to try this. Can anyone verify that this works as in the article???

Yes, everything stated works as stated... The article is so right... you have to speak VERY eloquently to get it to understand you. Something my almost 7 year old daughter fails at :(

I have a friend with a 3yr old boy. He never spoke or tried. It was always grunts, finger pointing or pulling on shirts to communicate. They got him an iPad and he watches a lot of Youtube. Cartoons, toys...etc. He learned how to talk, ask questions and answer questions when people talk to him. Sure he was online too much, but it jump started something in his brain.

All public flight information is delayed by 5 minutes, so no, you really don't know what airplane is above you right now. Did you really think the FAA would provide that information in real time?

It's not like that information hasn't been publicly available online for years now. What sort of nefarious deeds would you possibly be able to do with that information anyway?

Depends on who you ask. Ask someone like Dianne Feinstein and she'll tell you that you can shoot an airliner down with nothing more than a single .50 BMG round.

I really enjoyed reading this. Very heartwarming, and a great use for any digital assistant. I'm glad this story was published.

Depends on who you ask. Ask someone like Dianne Feinstein and she'll tell you that you can shoot an airliner down with nothing more than a single .50 BMG round.

HAHA.. that is funny.

I can see a few .50 BMG rounds taking down an airliner though. They just have to hit the right places.

Sudden loss of cabin pressure in the cockpit sure would cause quite a bit of problems at cruising altitude.

But who is going to go to the trouble of taking a .50 BMG gun up that high?

I guess you've never been here before?

http://flightaware.com/

Nope, never been there before.

With very little work, you could study the flight patterns and come up with a pretty good idea where it would be best to set up anti-aircraft missiles and/or the most efficient way to intercept flights.

You could also set up a radar jammer and/or radio jamming device and make flights "disappear".

This was just the story I needed to brighten my day. Thank you very much Steve, its a nice break from my normal daily internet shit flinging I've seen these last two months

I have a friend with a 3yr old boy. He never spoke or tried. It was always grunts, finger pointing or pulling on shirts to communicate. They got him an iPad and he watches a lot of Youtube. Cartoons, toys...etc. He learned how to talk, ask questions and answer questions when people talk to him. Sure he was online too much, but it jump started something in his brain.

I think my 2yr old boy thinks talking is too much work a lot of the time as he likes to do the same thing. Getting him to talk when he wants something is like trying to pull hens teeth.

Other than that he talks a lot.

Oh, and the Leapfrog videos are awesome for helping toddlers learn how to talk, count, learn the alphabet, etc. Netflix has pretty much all of them on there.

Yes, everything stated works as stated... The article is so right... you have to speak VERY eloquently to get it to understand you. Something my almost 7 year old daughter fails at :(

Lol. I don't ascribe eloquence to most adults much less children. Hell, I think children have an eloquence to their speech all their own.

When my son was 3, he would watch Lowe's Repair Clinic videos and then proceed to explain to me when changing a toilet, to always use a new wax ring before bolting it down. :rolleyes:

When my son was 3, he would watch Lowe's Repair Clinic videos and then proceed to explain to me when changing a toilet, to always use a new wax ring before bolting it down. :rolleyes:

OMG as someone that works in a Home Depot this almost caused me to suffocate from laughing so hard..

With very little work, you could study the flight patterns and come up with a pretty good idea where it would be best to set up anti-aircraft missiles and/or the most efficient way to intercept flights.

Near an airport. The locations of those are on things called maps. Everyone has maps. But shhh, it's a secret, we can't let the terrorists know where the airports are!

Back