Home Server

pewter77

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Home File/Backup Server, ability to transcode video files while serving them using ps3 media server. Run several python based services, torrent client etc. and potentially more as I mess around with everything

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Not sure at this point thinking $300-500, flexible

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Denver, CO (near microcenter)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?

CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, Mobo, Perhaps a quiet cpu cooler (build needs to be quiet)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

3 HDD that i have on hand, 2TB each, An 80GB intel ssd that I have for the OS (I don't want to run from a usb drive)

6) Will you be overclocking?

Nope

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Headless server, would like integrated graphics for easier troubleshooting

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

This next weekend or the weekend after

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

At least 6 Sata (3Gb/s or 6Gb/s doesn't matter) ports 7 or more would be nice, USB 3 would be nice but not required, Onboard Video (again for troubleshooting).

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, will be using centOS or Ubuntu Server (most likely the latter) and 64bit but obviously can easily change to 32bit

Would like to keep everything small and silent while still having the power to run everything I need.

Mainly trying to figure out what would be a good processor/mobo combo. PSU requirements and such all while keeping it reasonable price. Which i figure should be fairly easy since I have the 3 hard drives already.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers

290 - Core i5 3570K + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Microcenter combo
$34 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
$110 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
----
Total: $521 shipped plus tax on the CPU and mobo.

The CPU is probably a tad overkill but considering that you live near a MC, you might as well as take advantage of MC's deal. Plus I'm not 100% sure what's needed for transcoding CPU wise. The case and HSF are known to be quiet parts so that should help achieve your goal of a quiet server. The case can fit SSDs without purchasing additional adapters in addition to the 8 x 3.5" HDD capability. You can connect up to 8 hard drives to that motherboard. That PSU also has a $10 off deal that you should take advantage of ASAP.

Last edited:
Back