Home/office server build

Krita

n00b
Hi all, currenty finalising my home/home office backup/file server setup and would like an opinion.

Firstly this is to be pretty much as low power as possible but i want fast file transfer rates so the plan is i already have the drives and raid card which pull over 500MB/sec easily saturating my current 1gb network link.

CPU: Athlon X2 270U 25W TDP
Motherboard: Asus M5A97
Ram: ECC of whatever works 1333 or 1600 still lookin through the QVL for it
HDD: 6x 2tb hitachi 5k3000
4x 1tb wd10ears
Raid Card: highpoint 2720 will probably get re flashed to non raid
Network card: Intel 2/4port gigabit server card

do you think the CPU will handle the traffic? it wont be doing much asside from backups and transfering files back and fourth, i just hate waiting when ive got a hot job somewhere in a hurry
oh and i am aware RAID isnt a backup for those who want to get picky

thnks for anny advice in advance

Krita

1gb = 100MB more or less. Any of your drives will keep up with the network.

I would not use RAID for a home office.

1gb = 100MB more or less. Any of your drives will keep up with the network.

I would not use RAID for a home office.

Why would you suggest not to use raid or some other disk parity system, which will give you superior availability in time of disk failure? Of course, proper backup is still required for RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

1) It is easier and faster to restore data from a backup than to try and rebuild the RAID.

2) Disk errors are so rare that it is not worth the loss of space.

1) It is easier and faster to restore data from a backup than to try and rebuild the RAID.

1. That is entirely dependent on both the RAID controller and the size of the array. . At work, we are running 90TB+ arrays. I can guarantee you that restoring the data from backup is the LAST thing I want to have to do. Many people here are running 20TB+ arrays.

2. You have got to be kidding. Disk errors and failures are NOT rare. The whole idea is the continued uptime and the availability to replace the drive/rebuild the array and NOT to have to restore from backup.

what could be easier than pulling a bad drive and putting in a new one, especially if you have a hot-swap chassis. If you have a decent hardware controller, you don't have to do anything, it just rebuilds on its own.

Back