Here's a weird remote desktop/terminal server issue

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
OK I've never seen this one happen. I have this 2k8r2 Terminal Server, dual quad cores, 16 gigs of RAM. Runs a healthcare software that uses Progress for some parts, .NET Frame for other parts. Has around 25 nurses that remote in to use it.

Laptops are a mixture of WinXPp and Win7p. The WinXPp rigs have latest RDP 7 client (seen as 6.1 from XP)

They had an update to their software done last night. Today...several of the users are having issues. The issue is..they can log into the software..run the progress components. But soon as they click on a button that launches a Solutions component..it starts loading .NET Frame/Solutions...and then freezes, a minute later kicks up a "Connection failure for host localhost port 53940 transport TCP) error.

Now...ready for the weird part? Take different laptop....log in as that same user..and it works fine. Log out of that laptop, go back to her first laptop..and the issue is back. I went back and forth about 6 times..in disbelief! I've never seen terminal server act up based on which computer was connecting to it!!! :confused:

Does it happen if you try a known bad machine on the local network? (guessing these are connecting via RDP over the Internet?)

what is mapped over from the clients?

Nada. The TS does printing on a local printer. The laptops used to be thick clients that only used the application server with a mobile version of this software. But with more and more healthcare agency "incidents" where a laptop gets lost/stolen, we went to terminal server, laptops were stripped of everything..all they do it boot up to desktop, and they have the RDP shortcut to the TSGateway. I created the shortcut to a saved RDP profile..which shouldn't have changed. Laptops don't map anything back, don't even have printers installed. Everything is done through the terminal server.

Does it happen if you try a known bad machine on the local network? (guessing these are connecting via RDP over the Internet?)

It was happening "internally".....the RDP shortcuts are prebuilt to go through a TSGateway from across the internet. But when they're on the local network...they resolve the netbios name of the terminal server immediately and bypass the TSGateway. Issue remains if they come in from the outside.

this is odd.

Anything in the error logs? I know it can be a nightmare tryng to track down what server they are trying to connect to some times but its worth tracking it down.

How many servers do you have, if you have a large number in NLB (or is it session broker now?) then you may have 1 server acting up and you just keep hitting it.

start an elevated command prompt (right-click "run as admin")

Type this in on all machines, server too:

netsh interface tcp set global autotunninglevel=disabled

Test.

to back out changes:

netsh interface tcp set global autotunninglevel=enabled

Back