Help me build a new rig

I've been out of the loop for so long I figured this would be the best place to post. I think I'd like to finally start looking towards a new computer for realz. I've got a desktop and a laptop, the laptop isn't really meant for gaming.

The desktop has a E6600, 4gb DDR2(I forget the speed, old), a 9600 GT and a P5N-E SLI board.

Aside from the power supply, which I think is a 600 watt PC Power and Cooling, there isn't much of anything to scavenge.

I kind of want to piece it out little by little because I don't have a grand to drop right now. From what I can tell I'll probably go with a 660 video card, but other than that I have no idea these days about motherboards and processors. I'd like to keep it on a budget for sure. If I could piece the whole thing together for like $800 that'd be sweet.

Help :p

Other than going to the proper forum section, keep this in mind for that budget:

Grab CPU @ MicroCenter (i5 3570k is MUCH cheaper there, and a VERY good processor).
Grab a decent ASUS board (Z77 or better, stay modern)
Go for a 7950 or something similar, the 660ti isn't worth the premium.
8GB of RAM minimum.

$800 gaming rig is a very easy assignment these days. Building a quality gaming rig for under $500 is a little more of a challenge. Just a few parts thrown together right quick off the egg:

i5-3570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233 $215
Random MB (MSI Z77) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653 $100
16GB DDR3-1866 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560 $125
Random 660 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812 $335

Total... = $725. Ok, I just barely made it in under-budget, as long as you don't need a Case, PSU, or OS. :p

Yeah, look at microcenter for the CPU+MB combo's. Some very good deals to be had there.

$800 gaming rig is a very easy assignment these days. Building a quality gaming rig for under $500 is a little more of a challenge. Just a few parts thrown together right quick off the egg:

i5-3570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233 $215
Random MB (MSI Z77) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653 $100
16GB DDR3-1866 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560 $125
Random 660 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812 $335

Total... = $725. Ok, I just barely made it in under-budget, as long as you don't need a Case, PSU, or OS. :p

Yeah, look at microcenter for the CPU+MB combo's. Some very good deals to be had there.

=/

nobody even mentions haswell!

you have 3 days till new chips come out and they'll be only what 10$ more?

What resolution do you play at and do you have a legit os license to use? Also what case do you have and ignore the build given above. It is over priced and that ram is way overkill with a crappy video card.

Best bet is to check out general hardware and let dannybui give you a build. If you have a monitor, legit os, mouse and keyboard plus your psu $750 is way more than enough to build you a great gaming system.

Wasn't sure whether to post in gen hardwar or here, my bad. This is my home base at [H] :D

I've got a 42" lcd @ 1920x1080 and a 24" 1680x1050. I usually just game on the 42" because it looks all wonky with different size monitors (except for Supreme Commander, that shit was sweet)

I have an OS, tower I'll probably grab a new one. Thanks for all the input so far guys! I'm not in any rush to build either, so if it is worth waiting a bit, right on.

I was browsing CPU benchmarks and one that stuck out to me was the AMD FX 8xxx series ones. Seemed like for around $180-200 they were pretty nice?

No. Stay away from amd this round. Price performance they don't really compare to Intel's i5 or i7 series at all. While capable amd just got monkey stomped by intel this go around. If you are close to a microcenter you can grab an i5 3570k for 170 and a motherboard for an additional 70 or so.

Intel's newest cpus are right around the corner so may wait and see what their cost will be and with the 700 series from nvidia just released it is a perfect time to upgrade.

Wasn't sure whether to post in gen hardwar or here, my bad. This is my home base at [H] :D

I've got a 42" lcd @ 1920x1080 and a 24" 1680x1050. I usually just game on the 42" because it looks all wonky with different size monitors (except for Supreme Commander, that shit was sweet)

I have an OS, tower I'll probably grab a new one. Thanks for all the input so far guys! I'm not in any rush to build either, so if it is worth waiting a bit, right on.

I was browsing CPU benchmarks and one that stuck out to me was the AMD FX 8xxx series ones. Seemed like for around $180-200 they were pretty nice?

I just thought I'd point out that this subforum is titled "PC Gaming & Hardware." Discussing hardware for a new build definitely falls under that heading. Granted, you'd probably get a better response over in Gen. Hardware...especially since a lot of people in here tend to just claim you're in the wrong area.

I just thought I'd point out that this subforum is titled "PC Gaming & Hardware." Discussing hardware for a new build definitely falls under that heading. Granted, you'd probably get a better response over in Gen. Hardware...especially since a lot of people in here tend to just claim you're in the wrong area.

yeah always wondered that myself... though there are occasional topics here regarding setups in living rooms or mice/headsets/keyboards to use

most system building though is handled in that other sub-forum with hourly regulars that reply with great advice :D:D

Wow. Blind nVidia recommendation, huh? The 660 Ti is overpriced and handily outclassed by the Radeon 7950.

But if you're going to recommend spending $335 on a video card, you might as well recommend a used GTX 680 for $325.

Exactly. As I stated before, the 660/ti isn't worth the price premium, at all. For $315 (or so) and up, just hit up craigslist for used 670's or 680's. Why not, right?

Go for the 7950. The games that come with the card are very good. If not, you can sell them.

For your resolution try and find either a 670 or 7950. The 4gb versions of the card aren't necessary so check the hot deal or the fs/ft forums

Anyone have a favorite motherboard to recommend? Even when I was current on hardware specs I never got the price difference in most of them :LOL:

I've got everything picked out. Not sure why the 3770k is like....$100 cheaper at microcenter than newegg, but I'll take it haha. Will the 7950's drop in price anytime soon? I hate playing the waiting game unless it is a definite answer in the next month or so.

Last edited:
Motherboards depend on what you need out of them, what case you're going to put it in, are you going to OC, etc...

If you are purchasing from Microcenter then here are a few I would recommend at various price points.

Asus P8z77 ower budget but solid performing Asus board

AsRock Extreme 4 I have this one and use it on mose of my gaming builds.

GB UD3H Higher end middle of the road board

MSI MPower Higher end but OC potential is similar as the UD3h and ASRock

Keep in mind these are all ATX boards so if you have a smaller case these won't fit, or if you need Thunderbolt capability these don't have it. With your budget I would recommend the AsRock unless of course you need something special or exotic.

Nice. That ASRock is actually the one I had picked out :D

So. Before I go stick all this on my card today can anyone verify if there will be some monster price drop on the cpu of gpu in the next month?

No way to tell. Cpu prices will more than likely stay where they are but gpu prices fluctuate more especially since new cards just came out. Old stock still around in 3 months may be lowered. It is your money but if you have the budget grab the 7950 bundle or a 670 and call it good. Either card should serve you well for a couple years or longer depending on your graphic needs.

Anyone have a favorite motherboard to recommend? Even when I was current on hardware specs I never got the price difference in most of them :LOL:

I've got everything picked out. Not sure why the 3770k is like....$100 cheaper at microcenter than newegg, but I'll take it haha. Will the 7950's drop in price anytime soon? I hate playing the waiting game unless it is a definite answer in the next month or so.

The GTX 760ti is speculated to release later this month which will likely be a slightly updated GTX 670 (think GTX 680->GTX 770) for $300 MSRP.

Oh dang. So a 3770 is the same price as the 4th gen stuff.... You guys were right haha

I hate buying hardware. It's obsolete do fast

Oh dang. So a 3770 is the same price as the 4th gen stuff.... You guys were right haha

3770 is hardly obsolete, nor is sandy bridge even for gaming... sandy/ivy/haswell all good, i5 is fine just get the K versions if you want to OC

Last edited:

intel CPUs are incredibly well made. pretty hard to beat nowadays. it will take a couple more generations before I get rid of my i5 2500k.

3770 is hardly obsolete, nor is sandy bridge even for gaming... sandy/ivy/haswell all good, i5 is fine unless you want to OC

My i53570k is sitting at 4.8. I think that as far as OC the i5 series are beasts.

Wow. Blind nVidia recommendation, huh? The 660 Ti is overpriced and handily outclassed by the Radeon 7950.

But if you're going to recommend spending $335 on a video card, you might as well recommend a used GTX 680 for $325.

Not to mention 16GB of RAM in a mid-range build....

ya kno to be honest, i kno alot of people going to jus simply hate on this,
i think u might be good upgrading to a pcie board for a ssd upgrade and upgrade ur gpu, get a decent sound card, and i think u should see hell of alot of performance increase and also see a lot of cash left in ur wallet.
noticed ur motherboard can accommodate my suggestions.

Back