help!!!! first time ocer needs help with 980x i7 to stable 4.5ghz and asus ra3ex

sexus

n00b
i just bought myself new hardware for my brand new spankin build im doin and need help with the down and dirty ocing hurahh!!:

c300 256gb ssd ,
fortress 02 case limited edition ,
580gtx 3gb palit,
980x i7 ,
h70 with sickle flow fans to replace default,
1200 modular coolermaster silent pro psu,
asus rampage 3 extreme mobo,
12gb dominator 1600 8.8.8.8.24 timing,

so now heres the deal i need advice better said someone with similar specs like the ram and mobo for example , i need advice to set exactly what in the bios to get a stable 4.5 ghz oc and would be nice to not have to go over 1.4 vcore as i heard its gona mess up youre cpu if it is , stable as in prime 95 and linx , ok ...thanks in advance ...btw been lookin all over the net for settings from people with the same hardware or similar and heard about setting the bus for memory to 3400 mhz or so for 1600 dominators is this correct btw ive seen people run em dominators at 7.7.7.7.20 timings is this with the same ones i use , appreciate all replies and help a brother out yall please!!!!...btw ill be using my laptop to check the settings while configuring my rig on my other display..oh and i see all kinds of settings some people setting the blck value at its default other raising it , then qpi etc. blah blah blah ...and others setting most of it all to auto ,,,damn confusing....need solid 24/7 settings !!!!...with ht on !!!..heard people turn ht off now why would you want to half the number of cores to youre exposure...facepalm me thinks...xD

p.s : im a hardcore gamer and modder and do some video and photo editing here and there too .just for the info...

Last edited:
Every CPU and mobo oc's differently, i suggest reading up a bit more on overclocking, particularly the stickies to learn about what you are doing more before going any further. OCing isnt a thing of input these settings = guarenteed stable for everyone, its a thing of tweaking.

but after hunting thru the netz ive seen similar settings for most 980x users with a3rex and 12 gb corsair 1600....so help me out and telling me to read up wont do much cause my brain seems to go into breakdown mode with all this input ...all im asking is for some pro skillz ocer to help out a first time noob ok ...thanks and keep em comments comin ..btw had a forum where a member had specific settings as i mentioned thou in my stupidity accidentally erased my history so thats that ...help yall!! please

Every CPU and mobo oc's differently, i suggest reading up a bit more on overclocking, particularly the stickies to learn about what you are doing more before going any further. OCing isnt a thing of input these settings = guarenteed stable for everyone, its a thing of tweaking.

Agreed.

OP:

Someone linked this the other day and I think it's worth a read.

3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated!

I found with OCing, getting help here and there is ok, but you really need to just read up, and apply what you read. That's how I learned.

Nobody can give you the "magic numbers". They are found by trial and error. A lot of trial and error. (Hope you are the patient type.) It took me days upon days to get 4.2GHz stable. Though a lot of that is the stability testing itself, not the BIOS fiddling. You'l'l test for several hours, and just when you think your good, BSOD!

Even with the same setup, every motherboard and cpu will oc differently. I read up on my board, and continuously read up on the q9550. I tried all their advice / settings and couldn't get my motherboard to oc passed 450 stable. Then I tried different settings going off what I've learned and manage to achieve 8.5x470. Probably can go higher but board isn't stable at 480 no matter the voltage on anything.

All I can tell you is that oc'n is a learning experience. The more you mess with your motherboard, the more you will understand its quirks.

Last edited:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiqWJwYxhJqKdGh5TkVGcW1FZmpGaHg4c1lYT2twdUE&hl=en#gid=0

thanks for the replys yall and keep em comin hope theres more volunteers to help me out here , btw
as you can see the link i just posted check it out got this from an ocer thou as said i was interested for someone with similar specs and to see what he changed from this basic spreadsheet. peace

p.s: thanks for the read litle4nicer...thou something to work with would be more helpful yall..just sayin

a youtube video showing me what settings to apply would be even better!!!

Ok, I'll just throw this out there. I am still learning myself and take risks others may not! (Risk is yours to take should you try the following.) Having said that, I have yet to break anything I have ever tried OCing from CPU to GPU.

I'd start with a 4.2GHz OC based of my success with a 950.

Disable Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading!
BCLK 200x21 multi.
Vcore default to 1.35v
Low CPU Vdroop
CPU PLL default to +0.1 (So 1.8 to 1.9 for example.)
QPI voltage default to 1.35v
High QPI Vdroop
DRAM multi should be 4 not auto. (Runs your RAM at default clocks of 1600MHz and timings)
Manually set DRAM voltage and timings to rated!
IOH default to +0.1 or 0.2.
ICH default to +0.1 or 0.2.

Again, this is based off my success with a 950, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to jump straight into if you must have numbers thrown at you. None of the voltage increases are "pushing it".

I have no experience with unlocked multi CPUs but think this is a good start for it. After that just keep slowly increasing the BCLK and/or multi and see were you get. Adding more juice will be up to you as you see/feel fit. Just go up slowly!

Good luck.

finally someone that actually posts a post with a bit of sense ..damn ..thou there is a difference between 950 and the 980x in terms of ocing capacity so anybody with a 980x and asus rampage 3 extreme and 12gb 1600 dominators then please do not hesitate to post youre helpful info ...peace yall ill be collecting settings and see wich one works best over the following days so keep on postin em settings ok!!..

p.s : disabling ht why should i do that 12 threads vs 6 is the bomb..and yes i heard that youd get a better oc but most ocs i see have ht on so it gotta be worth the extra threads..hurahh!!

Last edited:
p.s : disabling ht why should i do that 12 threads vs 6 is the bomb..and yes i heard that youd get a better oc but most ocs i see have ht on so it gotta be worth the extra threads..hurahh!!

Just for testing, turn it back on when stable, but leave Turbo Boost of for good!

I forgot after I did a clear CMOS and wondered why I couldn't get my 4.2 stable again. Til I noticed it was trying to do 4.4+GHz because of TB. *sheepish grin*

xD...nice ..thanks bro ok ill take that into account thou ill be waiting what other members will be contributin towards helping me and will be taking everything into account and see what i get in the next few days ...depending on how many members are willing to help me out ...time will tell ..settings shall be posted..i hope..peace

Sexus,
beginning with the HT ON/OFF. Depends on what you're doing. If you got a 980x you must use it for extreme multi-tasking like rendering or encoding, correct?
If not and you're just gaming and using it as a multimedia center ( music, movies ) and light edition ( images, movies... ) ... then, turning HT OFF will improve 2 things: Less vcore for your overclock and less heat. And you'll still have 6 cores so, your multi-tasking will be really good.

As for overclocking, depends on the batch of your cpu ... there are cpu's that have really low VID but high heat leakage, resulting in low voltage to achieve high speeds, but with more heat.

So, for you, 4.5 on a 980x seems sweet. Since you have Dominators 1600 and 12Gb of them, i wouldn't overclock the memory. So i would use basically a 196BLCK and a 23x multiplier. For memory SPD multiplier i would use 8x ( asus shows memory speed instead of the multiplier i think ) .

It will run your cpu at 4.508Mhz and your ram at 1568MHZ with 8-8-8-24 1T timings at 1.64 or 1.62 dram voltage.

So summing up:

BCLK: 196
CPU Multi: 23
Memory SPD: 8x ( although in asus you choose the ram speed, so i guess you'll have 1568Mhz available on " Memory Speed " option )

As for voltages... well, the correct way is to start from ... example, 1.2vcore and 1.2qpi ... and start testing BLCK first... increasing it in steps of 10 and doing Intel Burn Test testing during 5 passes at maximum. Everytime you succeed this, you would increase another 10 BCLK... If you got a BSOD you would increase your qpi voltage and start over from the last stable Setting.

It will take you a while and you should read the article that people already posted here... it's really good.

For a dirty and quick setting... just go to your bios, turn off all your eco-features, turbo's and etc ... give like 1.4 vcore and qpi ... if it works... start decreasing your QPI voltage and testing for stability ... when you reached the minimum qpi voltage ( you will know when you get a bsod ) ... go to the vcore and do the same ;)

You can also choose going with higher BLCK and lower CPU multi.

BCLK: 180
CPU Multi: 25x

Just pay attention that:

BLCK is QPI VTT voltage dependent
CPU-multi is vcore ... so if you try to use higher multi's you may find that you vcore can not be enough... but only testing will tell you that.
Also, using higher cpu multi and lower bclk will decrease your memory speeds.

Hope i helped somehow :)

Last edited:
damn bro nice one +1 for you ...keep em comin yall and it cant be that im the only guy on this forum that is aiming for a 4.5 ghz 980x i7 oc on a asus rampage 3 extreme with 12gb dominators 1600..damn common wheres the love yall a couple of months ago youd only see asus rampage 3 extreme and 980x i7 ocers everywhere and now ....am i the only one left..huzahhhh!!

p.s: there was no mention of uncore like i heard 3200mhz is supposed to be good for 1600mhz dominators...feedback is much appreciated

Last edited:
Uncore usually is 2x ram speed or 2x +1 .. so ... you should keep it at 3200-3400 max ... usually 3200 is more problem free, although i'm using mine at 3400 ;)

( Brief explanation: Memory is calculated through BCLK x SPD multi ... so, for 1600Mhz you can have a 200BCLK x 8 SPD multi ... gives you the 1600Mhz. The uncore is 2 times the speed of the ram ... 1600x2 ... 3200. You can increase a notch to 3400 if your stability allows it. With Gigabyte boards, you will get everything with multipliers... Asus gives your real speeds instead of showing multipliers. So my SPD for 1600 is 8x ... If uncore can be 2 times the memory plus 1 ... i can get basically 8x + 8x = 16 ...and i can increase 1 notch more to make the Uncore multi 17 ... )

Some CPU/Boards are weird and people find stability in some settings like uncore speed ;)

I had Dominators, and using them with my i7 4.4 was a pain in the ...
I had them clocked to 1680 but i had a hard time with the stability ... But you must be lucky with the Dominators. Not talking about GT's but the "standart" dominators... some people were able to clock them to 1700-1720 ... other couldn't pass the 1630-40 without stability problems :x

Last edited:
well honestly postmodum i hope i am reading reviews and seing most ocers use standard dominators speaks alot for em , and ill be testing em out . how bout em timings saw sigs on forums where they was running em at 7.7.7.7.20 ...is it ok or not ..hmmm....btw id appreciate a full bios setting list so i can simply add in the numbers and try it out most possibly one thats been tested 24/7 ht on ..thatd rock ..btw if you dont know what im talking about its supposed to look something like this ..this is an example only a basic spreadsheet : https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiqWJwYxhJqKdGh5TkVGcW1FZmpGaHg4c1lYT2twdUE&hl=en#gid=0

p.s. : common asus rampage 3 extreme owners ...come out come out wherever you are...-,-'

Well, i don't have a 980x my friend... so it's pretty useless ... i can give you my settings for 4.3Ghz HT On on my i7 ... But you'll be able to get better overclock. Interested?

As for 7-7-7-20 ... Yes, i've seen people having those timings ... personally the best i could have was like 8-7-8-24 1T ... anything lower will result on problems of stability ... but... as i said... my 930 was not that good and the IMC was very poor ... ( the memory controller )

damn bro nice one +1 for you ...keep em comin yall and it cant be that im the only guy on this forum that is aiming for a 4.5 ghz 980x i7 oc on a asus rampage 3 extreme with 12gb dominators 1600..damn common wheres the love yall a couple of months ago youd only see asus rampage 3 extreme and 980x i7 ocers everywhere and now ....am i the only one left..huzahhhh!!

p.s: there was no mention of uncore like i heard 3200mhz is supposed to be good for 1600mhz dominators...feedback is much appreciated

I don't mean to pop your bubble, but you're asking for more input, when you've received more advice than I was expecting to see, how about you give US some more. What have you done so far? How far have you gone? Show up some screenshots of IBT/Prime+CPUZ+HWMonitor and include info regarding what some of your voltage settings are (beyond what is shown in CPUZ). Even the most seasoned OCers can't help if they don't get feedback regarding what success you've seen so far.

Like others said above, this isn't an exact science, it's a LOT of trial and error. If this is your first time doing a major OC, expect for your heart to drop into your stomach with worry that you just fried your system a few times before you reach your mark... IF you reach your mark.

Ehehehe ... mhenley, true ...

This is a long trial and error... for example, to be able to get my i7 to 4.4 24/7 stable, i spent 2 weeks in testing.

mhenley i never implied that theres not enough input i was just saying id appreciate it if fellow similar specd oc members would be able to help out with their settings...and as i said before im waiting for a couple of settings lists to try out before that i wont be doing linx or prime 95 till i have enough settings lists to work with why is it thatd the noobs always get the hate only cause their trying to enjoy what everyone else is ...-,-'...talk about a tough customer ...lol...bring it ..im waitin here on my chair will be collectin for a couple days then test several different settings one list after another and then ill post some nice screenshots ok mhenlay ..so youre happy too ..xD

Im actually suprised anyone gave input at all,

from your posts its easy to tell that you really dont know much at all about overclocking. Coming from me, thats a lot because I am fairly new myself. I honestly think you would be better off if you just spent about 2 hours reading and UNDERSTANDING rather than inputting numbers,

even if I had the EXACT same hardware as you, does NOT mean we will get similar overclocks. Thats not how it works. Im not trying to be mean in any way, nor was anyone else in this thread, were simply trying to show you that the way you are choosing to overclock, is an extremely inefficient, shortcut way to overclock.

thanks and i am reading the links btw and watiching youtube videos about it since days ok dont think im trying to take shortcuts what im trying to achieve is a nice oc and for that reason i am looking for similar specd members oc list , i hope you understand me and no im not implying yall are trying to be mean just try to be more cooperative and atleast try helping me out ...thanks

Maybe we haven't been clear sexus... You run a higher risk of frying your system if you use someone else's settings list. Every piece of hardware is different, and I don't mean 'motherboard' and 'processor' I mean northbridge, memory controller, cache, die, pcb, power supply and even the air at your house. Yes, you heard that right, because ambient temperature plays a part in it as well. You start small, work with tiny numbers first, test, test, test, tiny bump up, test, test, test, rinse and repeat until you fail, then back it down and then work the equation differently. Processor voltage, memory voltage, northbridge voltage, multiplier, each are taken up in baby steps AS NEEDED, and I stress that because some have achieved higher clocks by using a higher multiplier, others by higher bus, still others don't get to go as high because of something they either can't figure out or because the hardware simply can't do it.

For example, I'm a veteran at old school overclocking, where we were THRILLED to get a 10%-15% overclock, and our minds exploded when a Celeron 300A was commonly overclocked to 450, and our brains melted when someone did a submersion to achieve 1ghz. I had two dual core processors that would not unlock any additional cores, and I had one that did. Obviously I knew what I was doing, because I had a success, and at no point could I just plug numbers in from another system.

Stop and think for a second, you've been on this forum for two days, and multiple people have told you that you can't do what you want to do. If someone tells you their numbers, and you plug them in and fry your system without going through the many hours of testing that someone did along the way, your chances of having a dead system are going to be considerably higher, and then you're going to blame us.

Do a mild OC, I don't even care if you do multi only, test for a few hours, post some numbers here, and we can go from there. You've asked for help, you've been given advice, and I'll be damn surprised if someone gives more help without seeing some effort on your part.

bobdamann my grammar might not be the best but its not the worst either so cut me some slack and thanks mhenley ill try that then and if theres more help from other members please dont hesitate to leave feedback ok , and ill be testing a couple lists i collected from other forums and take it slow with the vcore settings over the following days ill be testing for about a week to see 100% stability with linx and prime95 and do some memtest 86 too , ok but as said i would appreciate other members with similar setups to post their oc as a base for me to work on, the more lists the merrier ok , peace yall and rock on !!!....remember im a newbie to this all so dont be to harsh with me ok ..xD

wheres the love yall a couple of months ago youd only see asus rampage 3 extreme and 980x i7 ocers everywhere and now ....am i the only one left..huzahhhh!!

Sorry for the late reply but there are some of us out there. See my signature

Agreed.

OP:

Someone linked this the other day and I think it's worth a read.

3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated!

I found with OCing, getting help here and there is ok, but you really need to just read up, and apply what you read. That's how I learned.

Nobody can give you the "magic numbers". They are found by trial and error. A lot of trial and error. (Hope you are the patient type.) It took me days upon days to get 4.2GHz stable. Though a lot of that is the stability testing itself, not the BIOS fiddling. You'l'l test for several hours, and just when you think your good, BSOD!

I'll second all of this.
I did a lot of research but I ended up following the guide that is linked to get my 980x/R3E to 4.2 ghz. Another other thing to keep in mind when doing research is that the BIOS terminology and features vary from one vendor to another.

thank god im not alone btw thanks and i have been checking out the link . ill be using it as a guideline for my ocing thou settings are much appreciated ,as a base...peace

I just had a first time experience and thought I'd share.

I was having stability issues with games since OCing my 950 to 4.2GHz. It was very sporadic with some games, and very prevalent in the Rift betas. Rift would lock my system right up.

The odd thing was I could run Intel Burn Test and P95 with no issues. So I decided to look in the GPU's directions. I downloaded Furmark and ran it......for about 60 seconds before my system froze up.

Turns out with the 4.2GHz OC, I was not feeding enough juice to the NB and/or SB and/or PCI-E IOH voltage (<-My guess.) for 2 5870's in Crossfire. I bumped them all up a bit more (I'll sort it out later if it was 1 specifically.) to see if Rift would play without locking my system up, and it did just fine. Furmark does to.

So keep this in mind with your SLI set up should you see instability like I did. OCing the CPU may effect more than just the CPU and stability.

P.S.

I guess my point, if not clear, was as we have all been saying, there is more to OCing than just throwing random numbers at it and hoping it works. It needs a lot of fiddle farting around to make it fully stable.

Last edited:
yep i realized that bro and thanks for the helpful insight in youre oc life ..good that youre system is back on track btw most likely the pcie ioh voltage heard from other ocers if you have more then 2 up to 3 its best to give them lanes a bit more juice , peace and theres never enough feedback we all learn and with basics like settings lists etc . and advice etc etc etc . keep it comin ill be watching this thread once in a while and keep on collecting for my major oc project going thru 7 days for stability testing starting beginning next week .ruhaa!!

Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude.

If you just hit the enter key after you finish a series of collected thoughts it will be much easier to read what you have to say.

sorry bad habit thou never has anybody said anything about my bad grammar up till now , guess mine wasnt their worst ...oh the wonderful and mysterious ways of the interwebz......xD...thanks bobdamann and no biggy just sayin where all family here but i get what youre saying ...keep em posts comin ...huzahhh!!!!

Back