headphonic choice

Luca1

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Want good quality headphones for music/audio recording/monitoring.

Need to be portable enough to travel with (as in backpacking) when I take my laptop abroad.

I have AD700's which are great comfort and have great quality sound for my home desktop but are too bulky to take travelling.

Any suggestions around that price range?

:Luca

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recommend Sennheiser HD-25's, they are legendary, don't let their appearance fool you.. these are some of the best 'phones ever made.

Sturdy build, portable, great isolation from background noise (they are designed for professional sound monitoring, I see TV camera men wearing them all the time).
Don't take my word for it alone, you will find page after page on the net praising them.

You will certainly not be disappointed, these are the real thing and fit your needs perfectly from the description.

I would think that if you use them for audio recording, you wouldn't want them to leak sound to prevent feedback loops. Maybe something closed like Sony MDR-V6 would do.

I own the Denon AHD2000, AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT990, Grade 325is and JVC HA-RX900.

The most portable of them are the DT990 and 325is headphones. Both are semi open headhpones, so they leak some sound (others around you can hear what you are listening to if loud enough).

Both are great and are also my favorite in regards to personal preference. Both are VERY dynamic, have great soundstage and are very detailed. The DT990 has strong low's and highs. The 325is is a bit more balanced, and the highs have a bit more sparkle, less bass of the two.

Both are extremely fun to listen to and have their own sound signature and color in regards to the sound quality. If you have a way of listening to either of them, I would highly recommend it. They can easily provide you with a technical and detailed sound for studio listening, or all around music listening.

Of the two, the 325is are the lightest and most portable of all the headphones I listed.

Happy hunting!

Sennheiser HD25. (NOT HD25SP)

Cord upgrade might help too.

Thanks mangamonster great advice :)

The dt990's where what I was looking at when I bought my ad700's, the only problem with them is they need a headphone amp to drive them which would drive up the cost and not be practical for travelling, though you would never catch me disputing the sound quality :)

However the Grado 325is have me very interested indeed... hmmm..

:Luca

Back