Headphones issue when plugging into laptop?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Lenovo Legion 5 17" Laptop, it is about 3 years old. Intel 10750h CPU and Nvidia RTX2060. I have KZ ZSN Pro headphones. I do not have the stock cable with the headphones, I changed it to a cable with mic.
The last week or so when I plug in the headphones I will only get some static in the headphones and the Laptop will still output the sound to the the laptop speakers. I unplug the headphones and plug them back in and it plays normally through the headphones.
I will start using my KZ-ZST headphones to see if I can replicate this problem but I fear the plug in the laptop might be going out??? What do you think?

See if the other headphones do it... may also be the cable? / headphones. could be the jack also.

if it is the jack and it out of warranty ?? at 3yrs probably? just get a usb C (assuming you have usb c) headphone adapter /dac ..make sure to get one with mic support or some other external dac?

Also maybe turn laptop off and get a qtip and put some isopropyl alcohol on the plug for headphones and then plug it into jack and move it in a out a few times (maybe putting a bit more 90% + iso on jack) let it dry a minute or whatever and try again? Or if you wanna get fancy you can also try getting some Dexoit Contact cleaner (just be careful about getting it on the laptop chassis as I do not know if it will melt the plastic / coatings?? I would probably put some on a qtip and then rub the headphone plug with that and then plug the headphones in an out a few times same as with the alcohol.

but yeah a $10~ usb c dongle would be getting things going again worst case?

Last edited:
See if the other headphones do it... may also be the cable? / headphones. could be the jack also.

if it is the jack and it out of warranty ?? at 3yrs probably? just get a usb C (assuming you have usb c) headphone adapter /dac ..make sure to get one with mic support or some other external dac?

Also maybe turn laptop off and get a qtip and put some isopropyl alcohol on the plug for headphones and then plug it into jack and move it in a out a few times (maybe putting a bit more 90% + iso on jack) let it dry a minute or whatever and try again? Or if you wanna get fancy you can also try getting some Dexoit Contact cleaner (just be careful about getting it on the laptop chassis as I do not know if it will melt the plastic / coatings?? I would probably put some on a qtip and then rub the headphone plug with that and then plug the headphones in an out a few times same as with the alcohol.

but yeah a $10~ usb c dongle would getting things going again worst case?
Thank you,

My Phone doesn't have a headphone jack so I have a couple USB-C headphone dongles, I do have 1 USB-C port on this laptop but it is in the back and not really convenient. I also have a Turtle Beach Atlas Edge USB DAC. If needed I will get a better quality DAC.
I am going to be redoing the thermal paste next week, I will give it a good cleaning inside and out.

I got the TB Atlas Edge working but I had to Disable Memory Integrity to get the driver to load. Can anyone suggest a decent DAC that doesn't cost a lot, I am on disability and funds are limited. One with Mic support is a must.

[edit] Don't want to start a new thread just for this: I have only had fairly cheap over the ear headset and always found them to get very hot pretty quick. I was wondering if I got a better quality headset that had better cushions if the heating up would be less of an issue.
The headsets I have tried are Soundcore Life Q20, Cheap iJoy Bluetooth headset, and Turtle Beach Recon 200s. They all had plastic/pleather cushions and I was wondering if good cloth cushions would be better. I would like to get a good wireless gaming headset that also had decent music quality as well. Kind of an all around low latency headset.

Last edited:
try cleaning the jack with iso and a interdental brush.
Thank you,
I don't have an interdental brush but I did roll up a alcohol pad tightly and managed to get it into the jack and spun it around to clean it. I will pick up some of those brushes and clean it further however. When I redo the thermal paste i will also see what I can do then to clean/inspect it further.

Upside is USB external soudcard are relatively cheap. You could look at something like a CreativeLabs Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 (or 4). They look extremely affordable, the 3 has a separate mic input, and would probably fill the role well :)

Is there anyway to even fix this? I have this laptop for a year now but this problem just started today. If I plug the PC out, the buzzing stops. The noise is also coming out of just one headphone, the left one.
I used a dental pick and 91% alchahol and cleaned out the jack the best I could. It seems to have fixed it. I got the largest Dentipick I could find. CVS doesn't have much selection. Wal-Mart had the larger size and it is probably just the right size for the job.

Hello. My problem is this, my motherboard is Biostar TP67B and I have downloaded the sound drivers from the manufacturer website which is realtek high definition audio.However, If i had left my headphone plugged into my front panel jack and when I restart my computer, the headphone icon keeps flickering saying its plugged and unplugged constantly when it is in fact plugged in. I had tinker around a little bit and I have no idea how to fix this problem now. Its going bad to worse as it unplugs itself randomly now. I'm trying to go for a full reinstall of my sound drivers.
you might have a dirty port, try cleaning it. use an interdental brush and iso. alcohol.

Reactions: Xar
like this
I was listening to music today and suddenly I could hear only with one ear. Weird thing is that no matter what I did, I still couldn't fix it. Tried with another headphones pair, nothing. I used my "broken" pair on my Xperia Z3 Compact phone and everything works fine. I'm on the Insider Preview Build 6281 (fast ring). I'm using a Lenovo Laptop Z50-70 and I'm assuming I'm using the latest Conexant HD drivers are they get updated on every insider preview build. Has anyone had similar issues? When I'm using just the speakers they work in stereo.
Headphone jack likely damaged or maybe has dirt/debris in it.

Back