HDMI issues with Denon

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
I used to own an Onkyo that was due for upgrade and I bought brand new Denon AVR-S910W, ever since I got the Denon I been having HDMI issues. first it started with occasional green horizontal lines across the screen, I replaced both HDMI cables, one going from PC (AMD APU powered home theater PC) going to receiver and from receiver to TV.

Now when we are watching TV, the TV will occasionally every 20-60 minutes will black out for about a second and picture will return.

I have about 20 days to return the unit, if I can't figure out what is causing it, I will have no choice but to return it.

My old Onkyo never had that issue.

Hop on AVS forums and talk with JDSmoothie. He is a DENON master and knows all about HDMI behaviors with the AVRs. He'll be the first to tell you what to do, up to and including returning it.

Brahmzy is right, AVS forums is the top place for tech support for home theater. That being said, I'd be returning that receiver ASAP. My 6 year old Pioneer receiver works flawlessly with an HTPC via HDMI.

Sounds defective. Return it and get another or your money back.

thanks, i decided to post the question on AVS as well, will see what they say.

I'm leaning towards returning at this time.

I was using cheap old cables with onkyo before.

Now I have Amazon basics high speed HDMI with ethernet cable from HTPC to receiver and monoprice redmere hdmi to tv

That is what data loss over HDMI looks like. There is no error correcting in HDMI, so when you start dropping bits in the data stream you get sparkles. The whole "it's digital so it works or it doesn't" myth about HDMI cables is untrue. I went through this same problem when I was running a long HDMI cable to my ceiling mount projector. I fixed it on the third cable I tried, however I suppose your receiver could be an issue as well.

Does it do the same thing when the receiver is off and acting as a pass through? Are you using any long cables?

Last edited:
Back