HDMI ARC to DAC for powered speakers

zzz

Gawd
What's the best option for a box that takes in HDMI ARC audio, supports volume control with the TV remote, and has a high quality DAC for outputting line-level to powered speakers?

$700 Emotiva is an interesting choice when a basic $250 A/V receiver can do the same

Thanks dook! It's not documented whether the XDA-3 supports volume control via HDMI-CEC; hopefully it does. The functionality is overkill with analog inputs, USB, optical, triggers, and the entire front display.

ashmelev, one downside with receivers is they don't have balanced outputs. And sometimes the line out has a fixed volume.

"DAC" which implicitly excludes "basic AV receiver"
Anything that accept a digitial signal has input and generate audio signal for non digital speaker must have a DAC, no ? Hard to imagine a basic AV receiver without a DAC, would be an quite old one.

Maybe people meant something else by DAC nowaday and I am missing the point (the in quote telling me that it is probably the case).

Anything that accept a digitial signal has input and generate audio signal for non digital speaker must have a DAC, no ? Hard to imagine a basic AV receiver without a DAC, would be an quite old one.

Maybe people meant something else by DAC nowaday and I am missing the point (the in quote telling me that it is probably the case).
Yes, they have crappy DACS and are usually amplifiers as well. OP needs a DAC/pre. Emotiva is actually the cheapest option which supports ARC that I'm aware of.

I reached out to all the mainstream receiver companies to tell them they should make the simple box I described. Maybe in a couple years we'll see a new option for $100-150!

Given that smart TVs have become a totally viable central hub, and excellent powered speakers are widely available, it's amazing there's no simple, cost effective box that interfaces the two. Instead of receiver companies making their 200th model that does almost exactly the same function as the last ones, maybe they should put out something for new needs.

Buy a used older top end av receiver. Arc and cec have been around for a long time and there are plenty of options with good DAC's and pre outs.

I personally don't get the focus on good DAC and snubbing receivers when also using powered speakers. Powered speakers are a lot better, but will never be as good as separates. I'd prioritize good speakers and amps first, then work on source improvements.

Buy a used older top end av receiver. Arc and cec have been around for a long time and there are plenty of options with good DAC's and pre outs.

I personally don't get the focus on good DAC and snubbing receivers when also using powered speakers. Powered speakers are a lot better, but will never be as good as separates. I'd prioritize good speakers and amps first, then work on source improvements.
Good idea, but one shouldn't need to buy used to get this, and even then it will lack balanced stereo outputs which some powered speakers need. Not to mention the size, boatload of inputs, and amplifiers are overkill.

Powered can easily be as-good and better than passive speakers and separate amps. Take the JBL LSR310S and two 305P: $497. What new set could you possibly buy that rivals that?

Back