HBA card recommendations

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an on going issue and not gettig anywhere with fixing it so I figure lets try something different.

I currently have an HP H220 8-i card that was working flawlessly in Server 2019 for a while. It started giving me issues with random hard drives dropping from my system.
This H220 drives an HP AEC-83605 which is a 36i card.

Since I had an issue, decided to go server 2022 and I ended up with the same issues i had in Server 2019... random drives dropping. Now I can tell you that drivers made differences of getting drives seen, etc..

so I am thinking it is time for a newer card where I can easily find drivers for Server 2022, thus...

looking for recommendations on an 8i card that works with server 2022, drivers easy to obtain, and could resolve my issue.

appreciate it.
Jeff

Now I feel like an utter idiot! and I am fine with that.. heck I am telling you all so you know...

I found my problem...

LSI 9300-8i came in, oops they have smaller connectors.. ordered 2 new cables.. they came in...

power server off and notice I have one of the 8i with a connector to 4 sata so I am going to need to buy a mini on one end and 4 sata on other.. I unplug it and I have to click and push in and tug.. it is in there..

now the idiot part...

I grab the other that jumps to the 36i expander... ok h220 side lil snug, etc...
expander side, i touch the cable and it pulls out... UGHHHHHH!!!!!!
so I grab another cable and it does it, another cable it does it... so the actual expander card port9 is not LOCKING the cable in!!!!!!!!!! hence random drive loss!!!!!

ok gonna grab another beer and go cry more.

dont know what I am going to do...

so Dopamin3 do you recommend replacing the HP H220 with the LSI - is there a performance gain?

do I glue the expander cable in place so it dont move, buy another expander or what???

Meh, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Both the HP H220 and LSI 9300-8i operate at PCIe 3.0 x8, I just threw that recommendation out since you wanted Server 2022 compatibility and already determined the HBA was bad (which it's not). The only benefit is the LSI can connect to 12Gb/s SAS drives, the H220 only does up to 6Gb/s. Assuming this is all spinning rust, ultimately this is irrelevant. Save yourself some money and just return the LSI HBA and all the extra unnecessary cables.

In terms of fixing the expander, permanently affixing the cable with some sort of glue safe for the PCB should be fine. Obviously the other end of the cable will still be free if you need to make changes but as long as it stays secure you should have no issues. Or if you feel more comfortable straight up replacing it they are only like $35 - $45 used on eBay so that wouldn't be too bad.

Now I feel like an utter idiot! and I am fine with that.. heck I am telling you all so you know...

I found my problem...

LSI 9300-8i came in, oops they have smaller connectors.. ordered 2 new cables.. they came in...

power server off and notice I have one of the 8i with a connector to 4 sata so I am going to need to buy a mini on one end and 4 sata on other.. I unplug it and I have to click and push in and tug.. it is in there..

now the idiot part...

I grab the other that jumps to the 36i expander... ok h220 side lil snug, etc...
expander side, i touch the cable and it pulls out... UGHHHHHH!!!!!!
so I grab another cable and it does it, another cable it does it... so the actual expander card port9 is not LOCKING the cable in!!!!!!!!!! hence random drive loss!!!!!

ok gonna grab another beer and go cry more.

dont know what I am going to do...

so Dopamin3 do you recommend replacing the HP H220 with the LSI - is there a performance gain?

do I glue the expander cable in place so it dont move, buy another expander or what???
to prove I am more of an idiot.. i am good at this!!!

IT WAS THE CABLE!!!!! I know earlier I tried the cable and I thought it clicked in place.. but i just moved the cable from port 9 to 8 and it didnt click in and wouldnt.. I had to dig through some boxes but found another cable.. each end... Click Click... ughhhhhhh
I still have a drive that failed.. I know that... and I have 2 not showing so gotta find out why.. but my randomness should stop now!

vs

lol. Good luck on your adventures.

lol.. yeah.. i think i have undiagnosed ADHD.. my son has it diagnosed...
funny aint it!!!!

but glad you replied... helped me get there!!!!

now i hope the drives going offline after reboot isnt an issue. that does not seem like a cable issue

vs

lol. Good luck on your adventures.
so i dont know where the other cable i tried was.. and if you are like me you got boxes of stuff.. i found 4 in another box. Once I get all my stuff working right, I am going through and throwing everything spare out... rather amazon something if i need it versus use tons of space to store useless crap.

Back