Hands-On With Windows 10’s Preview Build 9926

As a developer, I want my app's tile to look as-intended and convey the branding experience I want to my users.

If Microsoft takes away my ability to enforce my app's tile image/color, I'll be up in arms.

I would suspect that we'll see things like transparent tile colors and folders that are in the Start Screen in Windows Phone 8.1 coming to Windows 10. I have no idea how this is all going to end up but clearly we're not seeing much that's finished here.

I make heavy use of quicklaunch, great optional feature.
Very simple, easy to use. Effective.
Why remove this?

Too much complaining going on in here about looks.

This is still a TECH PREVIEW. Don't expect everything to work, or even the icons to be final at this point.

I will say that this build is way ahead of 9901. In place upgrade from 9901 to 9926 was flawless.

This is still a TECH PREVIEW. Don't expect everything to work, or even the icons to be final at this point.

I will say that this build is way ahead of 9901. In place upgrade from 9901 to 9926 was flawless.

Do you not understand the reason for a beta/prerelase/preview? it is so they can get FEEDBACK. You know what there is to much of? Idiots whinging about people voicing concerns when that is the very reason this program exists! Far out.

Did you know that at this stage of development with the past several releases of windows it largely looked exactly the same on release? Did you also know that in the case of win 8 they actually Removed functionality from this stage to release? So yes there is a damn good reason why we are complaining about looks. Because history says this is extremely close to final and without massive feedback against it, this is exactly what we will get. Also..see below.

Do you not understand the reason for a beta/prerelase/preview? it is so they can get FEEDBACK. You know what there is to much of? Idiots whinging about people voicing concerns when that is the very reason this program exists! Far out.

Did you know that at this stage of development with the past several releases of windows it largely looked exactly the same on release? Did you also know that in the case of win 8 they actually Removed functionality from this stage to release? So yes there is a damn good reason why we are complaining about looks. Because history says this is extremely close to final and without massive feedback against it, this is exactly what we will get. Also..see below.

Hopefully those people are giving constructive feedback through the correct channels though.

Hopefully those people are giving constructive feedback through the correct channels though.

Hopefully, I know I am. of course the purpose of posting here is to rally more people.

Again, this version of Windows is much improved over 8. So it isn't like I'm banging my cane and refusing to use anything not win7. It's simply me pointing out that from my perspective win 7 just flatly has a more functional and better looking UI. This is mostly due to the fact that the minimalistic flat ui style honestly is just terribly inefficient use of space and flatly ugly to look at.

if you want a gaudy interface with fake 3D glass, I'm sure Stardock's WindowBlinds product will accommodate you :rolleyes:

I'd like my OS to stay the hell out of my way with an unobtrusive, simple, and clean UI. The OS's purpose is to run applications, not be a source of eye candy.

thats fine but at the same time the UI should not look like window 2.0

Yes, Microsoft created brand new icons just for the preview. They won't be used in the final version. Makes sense.

Yes, Microsoft created brand new icons just for the preview. They won't be used in the final version. Makes sense.

New doesn't mean final however. We probably won't get a real sense of the final aesthetics until spiny when Build occurs. That's when Microsoft will be releasing info on development and the new UI design and principles.

Windows 10 won't let you use the desktop if your screen is smaller than 8 inches. https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/559845609020993536

Existing 7" x86 devices will be upgradable to Windows 10 and work like any other tablet, just smaller: https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/559885453097050112. It looks like Microsoft will no longer license Windows 10 for x86 devices with screens smaller than 8". Screens smaller than that look like they will only be eligible for Windows RT/Phone though they might come up with a mechanism to remove or disable the desktop on small x86 devices, though that would seem needless.

Kind of makes sense as the desktop isn't at all home on a small screen, I've used it sparingly on my HP Stream 7. I guess it's away to avoid the confusion of Windows RT vs Windows x86. All Windows 10 devices with screens 8" will all be x86 and desktop compatible. All smaller than that will not be desktop compatible.

Stuck on 9841 but everything works, I have not had any crashes or issues.

You can download the ISO build 9926, mount it in windows and run setup.exe and it will copy the files it needs to do an in-place upgrade from your current build.

I was on 9901 and that is what it did.

what do you mean by stuck?

Stuck in the sense the build won't update through updater.

Yeah I'd have to download the entire iso for a newer build but then I am reading there is some KB issue/rollback then update got thrown somewhere and a few other issues.

running setup from a disc won't hose your programs, etc?

Never tried to run a copy over a copy, last upgrade did not go smooth either.

Best to do a fresh install but content with it for now.

Updated to 9926, what is the deal with the taskbar and the line below it? I also notice quite a few colors are now absent.
I really don't want my tabs in bright lime green.........damn.

Positive, so nice to see mounting included finally.
I did as was suggested and grabbed the latest ISO, mounted and updated with hitch.
All programs, installs still work.

It does feel more 8 then 7 now and little things like the tray icons was right click to change when they are visible or hide, now you have to search for it

The thing that pisses me off about Win 8 and 10 is the fact you have to have it tied to a Live account. I have a customers computer in here right now were he has forgotten his password. (He is an old guy of 85 years old). he just wants to go on his computer and work some crossword puzzles, not even online. Now he is locked out of his own computer. We have tried to rest his password through Microsoft and have yet to get an email or phone message with the code to finish the reset.

The thing that pisses me off about Win 8 and 10 is the fact you have to have it tied to a Live account. I have a customers computer in here right now were he has forgotten his password. (He is an old guy of 85 years old). he just wants to go on his computer and work some crossword puzzles, not even online. Now he is locked out of his own computer. We have tried to rest his password through Microsoft and have yet to get an email or phone message with the code to finish the reset.

can you not make a new log on?
this seems broken

can you not make a new log on?
this seems broken

it is a little hard to make a new log on when we can not access the computer. I can create new Live log ons but no way to associate them with this PC.

Are you serious? If you could just access the hard drive of any computer just by making a new user without logging into the existing user that would be a huge security hole.

I didn't read the entire article too deeply. Does Windows 10 still harp on you to sign in using your Microsoft account? I really didn't like that at all with Windows 8.1. I just want to use my computer - I don't want to be "always connected" to Microsoft.

I didn't read the entire article too deeply. Does Windows 10 still harp on you to sign in using your Microsoft account? I really didn't like that at all with Windows 8.1. I just want to use my computer - I don't want to be "always connected" to Microsoft.

You could have a local account on windows 8. You can have a local account on windows 10. Dunno why this somehow a problem for folks. I have always started with a local account and eventually connected my live account because it's beneficial for me.

You could have a local account on windows 8. You can have a local account on windows 10. Dunno why this somehow a problem for folks. I have always started with a local account and eventually connected my live account because it's beneficial for me.

Yeah, I didn't have an issue once I figured out how to just use my local account on 8.1 It wasn't super-intuitive though, at least not for me. But hey - maybe I'm just an idiot, who knows. :) Thanks for letting me know this.

This is what happened with our customer. He came to us with a new Windows 8 PC. He was used to XP and was confused. We got him set up with a local account on Win8. Somehow with the updates he must have gotten prompted to do a Live sign in. I just ended up do a complete restore on his system with a new Live account. I have all his info recorded in case he forgets again. I also made it so it does not prompt him for a password.

I find it ludicrous the MS treats their OS like some sort of Top Secret Military project. We are surfing the web not launching nuclear missiles.

Aesthetics are still 2 steps backwards from win7 imho..

This. Jmo, but I absolutely hate the look of Win 8, 10, Android 5 and all of this flat "modern" design language with loud random colors horseshit. It's a disjointed mess, visually. Aero was relatively clean and nice enough looking to my eyes.. whatever this is, is just distractingly ugly.

I'm glad there's like one person here that really digs it.. good for them.

This is a problem because Microsoft went out of their way to hide what should be the default setting. Its very sleazy and shady to trick your customers into creating an unnecessary account to cross promote and sell cloud crap.

Microsoft really went backwards with the GUI, it looks even more flat, dull and ugly with those stupid looking icons, and the taskbar and start menu just looks bloated and all over the place.

This is a problem because Microsoft went out of their way to hide what should be the default setting. Its very sleazy and shady to trick your customers into creating an unnecessary account to cross promote and sell cloud crap.

Theres nothing hidden about it now stop commenting on something you clearly have just heard others bring up and bitch about.

Don't like the child like 8,8.1 visuals.
Don't like the update
Don't like the fact it now won't boot reliably on my machine.
I'll try a fresh instal

I find it ludicrous the MS treats their OS like some sort of Top Secret Military project. We are surfing the web not launching nuclear missiles.

In what way? By trying to make you use a password instead of just having the default be drop right to a desktop as an admin like in windows 9X? No other OS lets you just jump right to desktop as admin / root. Some actually yell at you about being an idiot if you even log into the desktop as root.

I'd expect your guy there to be back in a week with a hijacked computer.

Don't like the child like 8,8.1 visuals.
Don't like the update
Don't like the fact it now won't boot reliably on my machine.
I'll try a fresh instal

People bitched about XP being childish visuals.
I have not had any issues with booting on any device I have installed it on.. So maybe you have a driver or hardware issue.

Theres nothing hidden about it now stop commenting on something you clearly have just heard others bring up and bitch about.

It is hidden and thankfully I knew about it, preventing my me from being duped.

Are you sure you've actaully seen the new installtion screens? You definitely have to actively search for it unlike every previous version of Windows. It does not automatically appear during the installation like it should and was done so on purpose to trick people.

Don't get all defensive and obtuse about what is an obvious underhanded ploy by Microsoft.

Back