Half-Life Done In 20 Minutes

I don't understand your point number 2. Why wouldn't he use every resource he has available to him to the absolute maximum, including health. Bumping up to 4600 health allowed him to do multiple "rocket jumps" that he wouldn't be able to do otherwise. This isn't a maximum health run, it's a speed run. Also, even natural speed runs abuse as many bugs as they possibly can, it's just not as easy for a human to abuse bugs as for a script.

Pretty much this. This was a TAS, though from what I've read it appears to be a "manual" TAS. They're amazing examples of what we can do when given a system to attack/beat and a system for doing so. Getting annoyed that we use the tools available to show the ultimate limits of a system seems the opposite of [H] to me.

Early HL especially TFC had strafe hopping/bunny hopping before it was patched, this allowed some incredible gameplay, closer to quake stuff.

Not like this but it is as close as you could get to it without all these exploits.

Early HL especially TFC had strafe hopping/bunny hopping before it was patched, this allowed some incredible gameplay, closer to quake stuff.

Not like this but it is as close as you could get to it without all these exploits.

There's still hopping in HLDM, it's just made possible with scripts they bind to the mouse scroll. Look up some HLDM duels in youtube. It's faster than Q3 CPM. Not as good as Quake, but still quite amazing.

Ack . . . not a video one wants to watch with a belly full of Easter wine.

I remember how the Heavy Weapons Guy who was supposed to move at 1/2 the speed of most of the other classes, could actually overtake a running scout if he did the bunny hopping correctly (pre-patch).

Yea, not really impressed. Bunny hopping is one thing, but taking no fall damage at certain points amongst other things... makes this rather pointless. To each their own though, I suppose.

There are different ways to do a speed run sort of like any race. These guys were doing more of a everything is on the table and doable approach. In addition to tons of exploits they were just strait up using scripts to do things like gauss jump. You can tell because he never even flinches and the gauss looks like it fires forward when its actually firing backwards to propel him along.

Anyhow point is you have to appreciate it for what it is. There are other speed runs where they do not allow themselves to skip anything or put more normal constraints on the game.

Back