[H]ot: Agility 3 120GB 525/500MBps - 159.99AR

I was about to come in here saying the Crucial was a better deal, but that $130 after MIR is HOT. If only I was brave enough to drive into Boston :(.

Wow. This isn't even on slickdeals front page yet. order it before it hits SD!

I hate to wizz in your Wheaties, but Newegg has this as only 3 eggs; 29% of people are giving 1 egg because of BSOD and dead drive.

Just trying to save some grief. if you do buy it, looks like a firmware update out of the box is the key.

I hate to wizz in your Wheaties, but Newegg has this as only 3 eggs; 29% of people are giving 1 egg because of BSOD and dead drive.

Just trying to save some grief. if you do buy it, looks like a firmware update out of the box is the key.

The problem with reviews and customer feedback is the inherent bias in it. Few people who have a good experience feel the need to leave positive feedback, but those who have a negative experience want to have their story heard.

The problem with reviews and customer feedback is the inherent bias in it. Few people who have a good experience feel the need to leave positive feedback, but those who have a negative experience want to have their story heard.

I agree with you there. However, when I see a couple dozen bad reviews in the last month or two on a product it gives me pause. As I am sure you know, there is usually a way around issues...but it is nice to know ahead of time.

It is a killer price.

Are these OCZ drives reliable?

OCZ I think does a good job but the Sandforce controller is hit or miss. It gives the most performance but also seems to have the most issues.

I went with a Crucial M4 as its slower but uses a marval controller, same as Intels SSDs, and has fewwer problems now.

For me its Relability > Performance when it comes to harddrives.

OCZ I think does a good job but the Sandforce controller is hit or miss. It gives the most performance but also seems to have the most issues.

I went with a Crucial M4 as its slower but uses a marval controller, same as Intels SSDs, and has fewwer problems now.

For me its Relability > Performance when it comes to harddrives.

Ummm I believe the new firmware update fixed quite a few of the Sandforce problems. I could be wrong, but I have heard good things about the new firmware from a few people.

P.S. - Hi Buzz!

Great price on this drive......still a bit worried about reliability on them though.

But that's irrelevant when you're comparing it to other products that have reviews online; the same observation would apply to both of them, so the more poorly rated one is objectively more suspect.

If you don't trust average Egg reviews, here's one from a long time H'er. I have this very drive and it BSOD's.

To flash the firmware you need to put the drive in a different computer running as a secondary drive. Then you wipe the whole freaking thing and start over. While I do this for a living, I am not at all interested in being a beta tester for some hardware at home. I'm not reinstalling 5 times to keep testing firmware updates. Did it 3 times with no changes to my behavior... BSOD every couple of days.

Oddly it seems to have calmed down a little as I fill the drive up, but I gave up on OCZ and will not ever buy anything from them again. Maybe you won't have problems, and I hope not. But this Agility3 is the single crappiest piece of hardware I have ever purchased. Caveat emptor!

But that's irrelevant when you're comparing it to other products that have reviews online; the same observation would apply to both of them, so the more poorly rated one is objectively more suspect.
Maybe yes and maybe no.

Many negative reviews are prompted not by the product but other bad delivery/box crushed/didn't install itself/I don't like the font on the owner's manual/whatever problems, and if you don't read thru them it skews the score.

Face it, many NewEgg reviewers are inexperienced, wanna-be, computer techs and if you take these NewEgg review stats at face value you're not doing anybody any favors by pointing to them. :)

Eurin the bootable tools do not work for me. Don't know what it is really but they don't detect the drive in my machine. Maybe they are better now but I am not planning another rebuild for a while if I can help it. Will try again later.

It does seem like the drives work without issue for some, but mine has been a handful and as others have mentioned I don't want to tweak my HD, I need to trust that it will actually work.

I picked this drive up last night and so far it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than my 7200 RPM Samsung F4 - as was expected.

With Windows 7 and Office 2010 installed, as well as drivers, Firefox, and a few other things, I have 90GB free after a formatted 111.8.

Eurin the bootable tools do not work for me. Don't know what it is really but they don't detect the drive in my machine. Maybe they are better now but I am not planning another rebuild for a while if I can help it. Will try again later.

It does seem like the drives work without issue for some, but mine has been a handful and as others have mentioned I don't want to tweak my HD, I need to trust that it will actually work.

Oh hmm. That sucks. I used the bootable tools, because the Windows tools on my fresh drive didn't want to work. They would run, download newest firmware and attempt to flash, but my version would remain the same with nothing indicating there was a problem.

I actually wanted the Crucial M4 128gb, but at the time, it had no sales. It was a $50 price difference. Today's sale on the M4 for $170 is pretty awesome.

I think it was a pricing error by microcenter. On my email it said 159.99 after MIR but online it showed as 159.99 and then a $30 rebate. Got pulled or OOS now. =(

After my issues with OCZ's indilix based drives I bit my tongue and gave them a chance with their last gen sandforce drives. Never again will I buy another OCZs product for myself or clients, nor will I ever suggest them again.

Just picked one up, shipped with firmware 2.06. I updated to 2.11, let's hope this thing actually works.

Back