GTX 670 ASUS TOP Issue running Heaven?

I hope every post Blkout has ever made is deleted because its all garbage. I know im not the only one out there with this opinion and anybody that does go in and delete these please read into the garbage he says it does not belong on these forums its useless.

Sensitive much?

Enough of the name calling......if you cant converse in an adult manner, don't post

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Enough of the name calling......if you cant converse in an adult manner, don't post

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Thank you sir/ma'am for this.

The Asus is quieter than the Gigabyte at stock fan speeds, didn't tweak the profiles or anything.

That said, I just used my ear, not a meter, and I didn't have them side by side. I listened to them about a week apart from one another. All my components are pretty damn quiet. I doubt you could hear a difference if you weren't near the case (I'm 3' from the vents on the computer case), and all your other fans aren't pretty damn silent. My gaming PC doubles as my HTPC in the living room behind the couch, so noise matters.

When I powered up the Gigabyte the first time, I was pretty disappointed since it looked similar to the arctic cooler on my 4870, but was significantly louder. Not LOUD by any means, but noticeably so.

The Asus was better in that I couldn't hear it over the other components in my computer. However, on my card, it did seem to have a bit of a rattle until I poked and made slight adjustments in the seating until the rattling stopped. When it was present, the rattling was much more annoying than the bit of air whooshing I got with the Gigabyte. I got it to stop though, so it was better. Not sure how long term my fix would have lasted, though, since I didn't give it much time before I boxed it back up and sent it back to Newegg.

So, a subjective assessment listening to them days apart. I'm pretty confident that a meter would back up my claims, though. I was thinking about getting an arctic cooler for the Gigabyte, but didn't think I needed it for the Asus (a big plus in my book).

All this said, its kind of off topic for the thread. Both of them had issues (high temps and screen tearing with the Gigabyte and stability/driver crashes with the Asus), so I sent them both back... Hoping the Asus replacement from Newegg works better.

It seems the factory overclocked versions are having more problems than non. Especially the Asus. After looking at further reviews on newegg, a whole slew of bad cards were put up. It went from ~20% to ~50% in a matter of a couple days (I guess people finally got their shipment). At this point in time I would stay away from the Windforce and Asus OC'd 670's if you want a good and stable card. In my opinion, I would wait to see the Twin Frozr IV. They are speculating that the voltages on the 670's will be unlocked which would allow the cards to perform even better. Even here on [H] someone was saying that moded their 680 and got over 1400 on the core clock with 1.215v. I am really excited to see what the future holds.

Mine has been running fine, aside from some stutter in d3 (probably drivers). Its perfectly stable and never crashed on me. This is on a i7 920 @4.0 and 2560x1440p resolution.

The card is also super quiet, which I love.

i just benched my friend's card and mine. i can run unigine nonstop and do 1290 core and 1880 memclock, almost the same as the clocks as the TPU card. ran it for 2 hours straight without a crash. however, whenever i put my friend's card in, immediately crashes in unigine. he's rma-ing his card. so in our scenario, he's got a 50/50 chance.

The Gigabyte OC WindForce has had minimal reports of any issues, it's a definite "buy" if you see it in-stock. The Asus TOP has had tons of reports of poor binning resulting in instability at their "stock" speeds.

My Asus TOP is still stable and working well. I tried overclocking it today. Out of the box it already boosted to 1280core, but I can only get it stable up to 1305core w/ 117% power limit. Above that on the core clock and it will run Heaven for a few minutes but then crash out with a driver unresponsive error (I'm assuming this is a card instability issue due to the core clock and not an actual driver issue). I've added +300mem and stopped since I didn't feel like wasting anymore of my evening running Heaven, haha.

Just spoke to Newegg and am RMAing my card. Tried to run Heaven and it crashed the driver. Left a one star review on newegg, then went back and read some of the other reviews. As of today, an ASUS rep is commenting on the negative feedback comments with the following message:

Please try the new, updated GPU Tweak as it should help you run your GTX 670 better. You can download the new version from the Asus website here: www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have had earlier. If you run into any problems after trying the new version, please contact me at *********@asus.com

When I get home from work and class, I may try installing the new version of GPU tweak, but I haven't had it installed at all in a few days as I get RSOD whenever it was running for the six hours I had it installed. I can't imagine that a new versin of GPU Tweak would bring stability to a card that's crashing anyway. I'm not going to downclock the card to get it stable when I paid extra for the higher clock.

Don't get me wrong, it would be the best deal on a 670 out there with the metal heat shroud, its great looks, the included backplate, and the higher clock.....if it worked consistently across cards.

Just spoke to Newegg and am RMAing my card. Tried to run Heaven and it crashed the driver. Left a one star review on newegg, then went back and read some of the other reviews. As of today, an ASUS rep is commenting on the negative feedback comments with the following message:

Please try the new, updated GPU Tweak as it should help you run your GTX 670 better. You can download the new version from the Asus website here: www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have had earlier. If you run into any problems after trying the new version, please contact me at *********@asus.com

When I get home from work and class, I may try installing the new version of GPU tweak, but I haven't had it installed at all in a few days as I get RSOD whenever it was running for the six hours I had it installed. I can't imagine that a new versin of GPU Tweak would bring stability to a card that's crashing anyway. I'm not going to downclock the card to get it stable when I paid extra for the higher clock.

Don't get me wrong, it would be the best deal on a 670 out there with the metal heat shroud, its great looks, the included backplate, and the higher clock.....if it worked consistently across cards.

Im kind of like you. Why the hell would GPU tweak help stabilize the core clock? Just make sure its not trying to lower your core speeds or something like that. People are using EVGA precision and its still happening so I can imagine it would fix anything. Worth a shot though I suppose. I might download it for my 680 and see if it changes anything. Let us know how it goes.

Corporations will say and doing EVERYTHING before they issue a statement saying they have defective cards. A software program isn't going to help fix a card that has serious defects. The only way it would possibly help would be if you downclocked the card, which shouldn't be necessary. In the coming weeks as more and more negative reviews hit the the web, Asus will be forced to say something or take action. If they are going to be this negligent to their customers, I will probably never buy Asus.

Yeah, there's no way GPU Tweak is the issue with alot of these problems. MAYBE the red screen was GPU Tweak, as they apparently fixed an actual software bug (or so that rep claims), but crashes that aren't the red screen, and when you don't have GPU Tweak installed at all are simply an unstable card at stock clocks.

If the rep replies back to you with a reference number on your NewEgg review, you may still want to directly email him with the reference number even if you're doing the RMA via Newegg. That way you can emphasize that, no, GPU Tweak is not the issue and the chips are not being binned and/or QA'd properly.

Even though I've got a working card, I can understand how frustrating it is, and I'm certainly not buying another Top 670 for future SLI until these issues get ironed out.

Yeah, there's no way GPU Tweak is the issue with alot of these problems. MAYBE the red screen was GPU Tweak, as they apparently fixed an actual software bug (or so that rep claims), but crashes that aren't the red screen, and when you don't have GPU Tweak installed at all are simply an unstable card at stock clocks.

If the rep replies back to you with a reference number on your NewEgg review, you may still want to directly email him with the reference number even if you're doing the RMA via Newegg. That way you can emphasize that, no, GPU Tweak is not the issue and the chips are not being binned and/or QA'd properly.

Even though I've got a working card, I can understand how frustrating it is, and I'm certainly not buying another Top 670 for future SLI until these issues get ironed out.

Very well put and I am sure those are the sentiments of a lot of people (including myself).

Decided to test my card a bit further and Heaven ran just fine for ~7 hours. Boost clock during this run was 1241 and my temp capped at 74. (Fan was on auto and running @45%)

It's a shame that some people are having issues with this model. I'm coming from a GTX580 (MSI Lightning)- and this new card is definitely quieter. (Though it runs a tad bit warmer, like 4-5 degrees.)

Decided to test my card a bit further and Heaven ran just fine for ~7 hours. Boost clock during this run was 1241 and my temp capped at 74. (Fan was on auto and running @45%)

It's a shame that some people are having issues with this model. I'm coming from a GTX580 (MSI Lightning)- and this new card is definitely quieter. (Though it runs a tad bit warmer, like 4-5 degrees.)

Memory clock?

If you got over 70C the boost was limiting itself. You may want to do a custom fan profile to make it go above 45% to see if you can keep the card below 70C, then you might see a higher boost.

so I got another asus non top card to sli (got it because of the price top is 20 dollars + tax more LOL)

I currently have a top and its working fine (i can clock up to 1315 on my top)

man this non top card doesn't clock as well as top... it cant hit 1280 out of the box max OC i can get is 1230 its weird the gpu voltage moves it goes like 1.6 - 1.175. I even set the power target to 122%

trying to see if i can flash top bios on it, if it doesn't go well i will just flash back

Maverick1337- Memory clock is default, haven't done any manual o/c'ing yet. Just testing the card with out of the box settings.

Starrbuck said:
If you got over 70C the boost was limiting itself. You may want to do a custom fan profile to make it go above 45% to see if you can keep the card below 70C, then you might see a higher boost.

Thanks, I figured that was happening, I just wanted to make sure the card was stable with stock settings. I'll tinker with the fan speeds a bit later.

Okay so Asus just commented on my review on Newegg of my Top 670 and said "try the new Asus GPU tweak utility update, it should fix your problems". I emailed the guy who wrote that and asked is he saying it will fix the red screen problem (which i assume it would), AND the driver failure, White screens, etc? And basically he emailed back hes not up high on the Asus ladder, and that its not official or anything, but he assumes yes. Now from my understanding...hes wrong right? Its not Asus GPU Tweak, its the card itself being OC'ed to high that it is unstable correct?

What were you able to push your non-top to?

I just did a quick +50 offset. Upped the power limit to 105% Offset the memory +200.

In Skyrim, it's about 1170 Mhz. The core clock fluctuates all over the place depending on the temperature and GPU usage.

Like in Kombustor DX 11 physx test, it will start @ 1050 mhz with 98% GPU usage on the fuzzy MSI screen, then jump to 1170 mhz under the physics test with about 70% GPU usage.

To be honest, I can see why some of these TOPs might have problems if these Kepler chips have different Max Boost points and throttle points at different temperatures.

Okay so Asus just commented on my review on Newegg of my Top 670 and said "try the new Asus GPU tweak utility update, it should fix your problems". I emailed the guy who wrote that and asked is he saying it will fix the red screen problem (which i assume it would), AND the driver failure, White screens, etc? And basically he emailed back hes not up high on the Asus ladder, and that its not official or anything, but he assumes yes. Now from my understanding...hes wrong right? Its not Asus GPU Tweak, its the card itself being OC'ed to high that it is unstable correct?

Yeah I dont see how gpu tweak could ever help that. Thats just bs. I even installed the new gpu tweak just for piece of mind with my Asus 680 TOP to see if I could overclock further or anything like that. I hit the wall at 1324 just like I did with afterburner and precision. So GPU tweak has nothing to do with core stability. If it crashes at stock clocks thats bs and you need to RMA that thing. Basically that guy is there to makes Asus look good by showing support on their products at Newegg. Keep sending these things back and maybe theyll get their shit together like EVGA did. I love my Asus 680 TOP but the hell some of these 670 TOP owners are going through sucks. Someone call JJ from all the Newegg videos he seems like a man that can get shit done ha.

The crappy thing is that I WANT a 670 TOP. I love the way it looks and the specs are great if it would work, but I don't want to play the lottery....the RMA # I have is for a return, not an exchange like I would prefer to do.

I for one will not be returning my two TOPs, barring any obvious catastrophic failure that could happen to any card of any brand. I have had some weirdness (slow loading of 3d for games) and even a red screen or two. THEN I upped my voltage in Afterburner. No more problems. My theory is that for whatever reason, ASUS put these cards out that can (boost -- remember) clock to near 1300 with no user interaction whatsoever. I don't know why, but they EITHER figured they'd all be stable out of the box, or at least figured that everyone would install their bundled OC software and resolve the issue themselves by using it to up their voltages making their cards stable. I have run hours of Heaven with max settings and last night played ~8 hours of BF3 with max settings with no issue. Once my new higher-airflow side fans for my Corsair 500R come in, I will be OCing for real and finding out what these cards do. I've already been able to put +5% on them only to be hitting the thermal clock ceiling of 70+ on GPU1 (this is using the default fan profile in Afturburner meaning I can do even better).

Obviously there will always be bad cards out there regardless of brand or factory clock or fan profile. In my experience, ASUS rushed this one thinking these 670 chips were all able to do 1250+ with a default fan profile starting at 10%. I wouldn't be surprised to see a firmware update in a month or so.

TL;DR: I feel ASUS didn't really feel like testing these for rock stability. That said, they have clock speed issues out of the box that in my experience can be corrected by upping the voltage. You don't have to like it, but there you have it.

It sounds like your situation isn't too bad then. When testing my card, I maxed out the power slider, and it didn't make any difference.

Also, the temps weren't unreasonably high when my driver crashed while running Heaven, so I doubt a different fan profile would have made a difference.

Hope you enjoy your cards! I'm currently debating on if I should get another to give it another chance. It was just SO quiet. I could probably scrape up the dough for a DC2 TOP 680, but I'm not sure if they are more stable or not... Since this is my second 670 in a row to have problems, I'm a bit wary about buying another.

Hope you enjoy your cards! I'm currently debating on if I should get another to give it another chance. It was just SO quiet. I could probably scrape up the dough for a DC2 TOP 680, but I'm not sure if they are more stable or not... Since this is my second 670 in a row to have problems, I'm a bit wary about buying another.

In case you weren't aware...

The 680 top is a 3 slot card. That has been a turn off for quite a few people.

Just got a refund on my TOP since they are (and have been) OOS at NE for a while. No problem at all since I bought it using my NE account anyway. Well, guess I'll wait and see how the MSI Power Edition Twin Frozr 4 is. Or if I see a Gigabyte Windforce, I'll go for one of those.

Hi, i have problem with my ASUS GTX 670 TOP too. These is what i do to solve mine.

It seems something is wrong with the TOP's Factory OC Settings. I installed GPU Tweak and enabled log. Then run Heaven at max setting till it get crashed. Then i looked at the log and found that the core clock have boost till 1241Mhz.. I guess thats what make it unstable and crash.

Then, i installed MSI Afterburner and underclock it. (Set the Voltage and Power to max, and Core -15)
Use Afterburner monitoring and shows it full load at 1228Mhz. Run Heaven again and no more crash.
Run Dirt3 (which i have crashes before i underclock) and no more crash as well.

I also adjust the FAN profile to make it run cooler. Now its full load at 61-62celcius max temp.

Seems most of the ASUS GTX 670 TOP are not working out of the box.

i think almost all top cards are getting the 1137 mhz but once the kelper boost kicks in it makes care unstable as it reach its max mhz speed available on the card (you should be able to hit 1280 at stock with TOPs with kelper boost)

for my non top card testing it will only hit 1241mhz before crashing heaven, flash a top bios on it. card would run until it exceed 1241 and crash while on non top ofcourse with slower speed even with kelper boost it wont reach 1241 at stock

I'm not sure hot asus tested this, did they just check which cards will run at 1137? and didnt factor in the boost ?_?

I may mess with the power settings on mine. I ran Metro 2032 at 2560x1440 with all the eye candy turned all the way up and didn't have any issues (other than some slowdown because of all the textures an AA at that resolution, dropped the AA and it was perfectly smooth).

When I got my q9550, it didn't want to run stable at stock settings, but has been running like a champ on a slightly upped voltage. Maybe all my TOP need is a little extra juice.

[EDIT] Tried downclocking, tried boosting power a little, tried down clocking about 20 mhz AND boosting power a little, and it still starts to bug out after 20 minutes. It didn't crash the driver like it did at stock clocks, but the fact that it was still unstable made my mind up to send it back. ASUS can probably sell it as a non TOP card, but if I'm going to wind up with a non TOP card I'm not going to have paid extra for it.

Last edited:
Hi, all ASUS GTX670 TOP owner, when u fully shutdown your system (with PSU have power), did the 2 LED at 6pin power light on? I noticed mine is always on unless i turn off my PSU. Wasn't the 6pin power suppose to be no power until i turn my system on?

Is this the card issue or my Corsair TX850M PSU problem?

Those are indicator lights to make sure you plugged in the power cables correctly. They should always been on and green.

I have the same issue with my Zorac 670 AMP, so this isn't an issue isolated to the Asus TOP model.

I think you guys are spot on that vendors didn't test cards properly with the Kepler cards, all of the dynamic clocks, voltages and temperatures in this architecture result in much more complex testing, and they didn't invest the time. EVGA had the same issues with their superclock and FTW.

Mine only crashes Heaven 4.0 (so far) but its likely because that bench triggers a combination of voltage, core clock, utilization that my card doesn't like. I've had the card for 5 days so I'm not too keen on paying shipping for an RMA. I might wait a year then get a free upgrade when they no longer have any 670s on hand :).

Back