GTX 285 issues

daveloft

n00b
I am on my second BFG Geforce GTX 285 and its also having issues. Its not too common, most games have no issue for the most part. I can game for a few hours before having a crash. Team Fortress 2 is the most problematic. It can happen in 30 seconds or take 30 minutes but it will freeze. The foreground visuals will mostly disappear leaving just the background image on the screen.

Ive tried running the system with the Radeon 4870 and it runs perfect. I put about 80 hours into gaming over a one month period with no issues whatsoever. I have also tried the GTX 285 with an Intel DX58SO motheboard and had the same problem. Ive tried just one stick of RAM and rotated between them to verify that wasn't the issue. I have OC the system and it runs fine, but during my testing I am running completely stock so as not to taint my results.

The problem is the same in Vista and Windows 7 both Ultimate 64 bit versions. I have all the latest drivers and have tried disconnecting every non essential piece of hardware and started with fresh install of Windows but it all ends the same.

So does anyone have any suggestions? The PSU seems like the next likely candiate, but really TF2 is the game that pushes the PSU the most. Do you think it could be video card, cpu or something else entirely? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Its definitely a different one. I'm in Canada and I shipped it to their office in Quebec. According the shipping tracker, the unit I got came from the US.

I was just playing Frontlines fuel of war and the game froze, a minute later I got booted back to the desktop with a error message saying the Nvidia display driver has failed.

Supposedly something was up with the 191.xx series drivers. Have you tried the new 195 drivers? First thing to do is run everything at stock clocks and see if the freezing occurs.

Yes I agree with PS3. If you're on a second different 285 and still having the same problems, logic dictates looking at other things like drivers, etc.

I am of course at stock speeds. I have also tested all the 190 drivers including the latest and even tried the 186 drivers. I also just tested another PSU and no luck with that one. I'm giving the card to my friend to try in his system. Im going back to my problem free Radeon 4870, Im sick of fiddling around and just want to play something. Thanks for the input.

Back