GTS 250 or HD5770 to get?

5770. Its more akin to the GTX260 so it would be faster than a GTX250.

Fyi, in the title you said GTS 250....

Anyways, either way the 6770/5770 is faster. 6770 is on par with the GTX 550 ti or so.

And, imo, ocing video cards are never a good idea....but anyways....

And, imo, ocing video cards are never a good idea....but anyways....

Definently your opinion but then why are you here? This is [H]ardForum, not oftieForum. Also I along with other people that have run video cards OC'd for 2+ years with 0 issues would have to disagree with you. OverClocking is a very good idea to get your money's worth as long as you keep your temps and voltages in check.

I passed on an XFX 7600GT XXX that OC'd to 695/905 and it has run that speed from me thru 2 more people and is still running that speed on the stock HSF after all these years. No artifacts yet and the guy still comes to lan parties with us and uses that demonic card to play CoD4 with the rest of us.

Last edited:
5770 is clearly faster than GTS250. However, sounds like you are talking about the GTS450, which is not really much faster than the 250- more equal to the 5750 than the 5770. 5770 is the better choice IMO, without any doubt. I believe even when OCed, you might get close to matching the 5770, but I think the 5770 would still take the cake especially since they use a decent bit less power still.

Definently your opinion but then why are you here? This is [H]ardForum, not oftieForum. Also I along with other people that have run video cards OC'd for 2+ years with 0 issues would have to disagree with you. OverClocking is a very good idea to get your money's worth as long as you keep your temps and voltages in check.

I passed on an XFX 7600GT XXX that OC'd to 695/905 and it has run that speed from me thru 2 more people and is still running that speed on the stock HSF after all these years. No artifacts yet and the guy still comes to lan parties with us and uses that demonic card to play CoD4 with the rest of us.

Why do you want to have fans of high settings, or even increased case temps. for freaking 2 fps increase? and i wont even talk about the video card...overclocking gpus mostly aint worth if the card is not known for good oc potential.

Don't know what video cards you've been overclocking that have the problems you mentioned and what games you're playing that are that bottlenecked by your CPU but you can often see 5 - 10+ FPS increase by Overclocking and if you don't touch the voltage maybe you'd be looking at 1 - 3*C increase in temps.

OverClocking a system at all can make the entire gaming experience more fluid even if only by a little, thats why we do it. Ever last mhz counts towards less frame lagg and higher playable detail so why not? If as I stated earlier, you pay attention to temperatures and voltages. 5 - 10FPS by OverClocking does make a difference especially when you are pushing the limits of your GPU in a new game anyways then it can mean the difference between barely playable and playable.

Experienced people know that ocing video cards relates to a small like 1-2% real world increase in fps, all the while raising case temps, reducing the life the card, and (technically) voiding the warranty of course.....

Experienced people know that ocing video cards relates to a small like 1-2% real world increase in fps, all the while raising case temps, reducing the life the card, and (technically) voiding the warranty of course.....

You did see the recent Sapphire 6950 2GB Toxic review here right? If not go take a look.

Heres a brief summery of what happened with they overclocked a 6950 from sapphire..

"Overclocked 1536 BIOS Performance Summary
Wow, what can you say? AMD's Radeon HD 6970 market ranges from $340 to $380. NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 580 market ranges from $420 to $600. Our SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD6950 sells for $269.99. After overclocking the 1536 BIOS, it also out performed both of the price superior cards. A much cheaper price and comparable performance, very impressive!"

1-2 fps?

There may be some instances where some models of cards are more worthwhile to oc but that doesnt make what I said not true.

There may be some instances where some models of cards are more worthwhile to oc but that doesnt make what I said not true.

Correct, most reference cards, from the high end segment ain't clock well without waterblocks and stuff, they are already at their limits from factory, people doesn't seem to realize that!

and who exactly do you think you are speaking for? I am experienced and what you said is nonsense for most cases. basically every card I have owned had real world gains from overclocking. sometimes it would take a game from unplayable to playable and/or allow much better settings.

Last edited:

Ever compare HD4890 to Atomic HD4890? The Toxic can match or beat 5850 at times and the Atomic is clocked even higher than the Toxic.

Back