Grand Theft Auto V

I'd still like to see some real-world PS4 vs PC comparisons.
PS4 screenshots must be taken using a capture card, not the in-game camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzqFT_0AbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6EBL2t6Lo

http://gearnuke.com/gta-v-pc-normalv-high-vs-ps3-vs-ps4-screenshot-comparison-shows-wait-worth/

Try these.

GTA Online is definitely hit and miss right now but I'm reasonably confident that Rockstar is going to throw some more support at it. I'm spending more time in single player right now and giving that a chance to mature and settle out a little bit more.

The few times I have been on I was more fortunate than you. I was able to finish the first Heist you can do and started on the second. I probably won't attempt to get serious about that for a little while.

Make sure you have a controller. Flying without one is next to impossible with those atrocious KB/Mouse controls.

The problem of DX11 applications having their frame rate locked at 30 FPS in situations where the machine cannot maintain a constant 60 isn't exclusive to GTAV. I've seen this in many games, Arkham City, Dying Light, Far Cry 3 etc.

The solution, as you said, is to switch from full screen to windowed mode and back again - via alt+tab or alt+enter.

Yeah, I noticed this happen in Far Cry 4 too. Do you know if it occurs on both nVidia and AMD GPU's? Alt-tabbing is a workaround, not a fix though. This shouldn't be necessary.

Isn't that some form of vsync?
Just force adaptive and you'll be fine.

Or stop being a filthy casual and disable vsync entirely. Play without input lag for once!

I can't stand screen tearing. I mostly play single player, so the minor input lag isn't an issue. I'll test out adaptive and see what happens.

EDIT: Adaptive Vsync still has terrible screen tearing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed this happen in Far Cry 4 too. Do you know if it occurs on both nVidia and AMD GPU's? Alt-tabbing is a workaround, not a fix though. This shouldn't be necessary.
I'm nearly certain it effects both the red and green teams. I believe it's a quirk with how DX11 handles vertical sync.
Or stop being a filthy casual and disable vsync entirely. Play without input lag for once!
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but we're talking about GTAV here, not CS:GO. Small amounts of input lag aren't a big deal.

I don't see how people can play games with VSYNC on. Might as well turn on mouse acceleration also. :)

I don't see how people can play games with VSYNC on. Might as well turn on mouse acceleration also. :)

I'll take Vsync's input lag over screen tearing. My monitor gets a nice screen tear right along the middle quite often without vsync. Some day I'll get a Freesync monitor and deal with that, or if I decide to jump back to Nvidia I'll get a Gsync monitor just depends which brand II want to be stuck with for the next 3-5 years.

were you able to resolve this?

are you still able to use your ps4 character as well as your pc character?

what i mean is, does your ps4 character stop existing?

Restarted the game and all was fine. Not sure on ps4 havent tried it

I was at a hospital earlier today and saw a helicopter take off and I kept thinking...I bet I could nail the pilot. :p

Of course I would NEVER really do that, but we all know video games turn you into a violent maniac.

Make sure you have a controller. Flying without one is next to impossible with those atrocious KB/Mouse controls.

true dat. im only rank 8 or something, so planes wont spawn anyways, but i did a fighter jet race in online and keyboard/mouse was a nightmare. no idea how you are supposed to fly anything without a controller in this game.

edit: also caved in and bought a gtx960 today. my old gtx 480 ran the game well on very low settings, but im looking forward to what a considerable upgrade can do

Flying is done with WASD + Numpad.
It works fine, but you can't control the camera since you can't use the mouse.

Flying is done with WASD + Numpad.
It works fine, but you can't control the camera since you can't use the mouse.

This is one game where I feel like a controller is pretty useful. I've got the 360 controller, it makes things pretty easy.

This is one game where I feel like a controller is pretty useful. I've got the 360 controller, it makes things pretty easy.

It's great that the KB/M and controller is so easily interchangeable. I do all my running around and driving with KB/M and flying with the controller.

Wow, this game sucks up a ton of power. I used the latest drivers and used my tri-fire setup and maxed out all the settings with only MSAA off. I get average fps of 57. Screen tearing annoys me so vsync is on. 1440p.

I hope freesync gets here quicker with 21:9 aspect ratios. That would be a great day.

So I broke down and finally got the game.

I played for a short time and then got an error basically telling me my computer was running low on memory and needed to close the game.

I checked my resource monitor and the game was only using roughly 2.5gb of ram (I have 8) and I had plenty left to cover more.

Is there a known memory leak with the game?

I googled a bit and people are saying to make sure you have a page file for virtual memory.

I have it set to automatically manage the size (13 gb) however the page file is on a separate HD (I remember years ago reading that it was good to put it on a different HD then your OS/C drive, especially if you're using an SSD since you don't want it to constantly write).

Anyone else have this issue and fix it?

This works best for me as well. Flying with KB/M is too awkward but even with a controller it's a bit tricky but doable.

I do exactly the same. It really is the best of both worlds. The game does a great job of adjusting the tool tips too.

So I broke down and finally got the game.

I played for a short time and then got an error basically telling me my computer was running low on memory and needed to close the game.

I checked my resource monitor and the game was only using roughly 2.5gb of ram (I have 8) and I had plenty left to cover more.

Is there a known memory leak with the game?

I googled a bit and people are saying to make sure you have a page file for virtual memory.

I have it set to automatically manage the size (13 gb) however the page file is on a separate HD (I remember years ago reading that it was good to put it on a different HD then your OS/C drive, especially if you're using an SSD since you don't want it to constantly write).

Anyone else have this issue and fix it?
I set a fixed page file size of 4GB and it got rid of that error. Must be a memory leak because Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs also have/had the same issue.

I wouldn't worry about the page file being on an SSD: http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

Wow, this game sucks up a ton of power. I used the latest drivers and used my tri-fire setup and maxed out all the settings with only MSAA off. I get average fps of 57. Screen tearing annoys me so vsync is on. 1440p.

I hope freesync gets here quicker with 21:9 aspect ratios. That would be a great day.
Even two 290X's shouldn't break a sweat at 1440p60 in this game.
Sounds like a problem with AMD's craptastic drivers.

Anyone knows what kind of performance I could expect from my PC (in my sig)? I'm worried that my CPU would hold me back. I can't really overclock it any further due to heat issues.

I would suspect two things are holding you back:

1. The settings in this game soak up VRAM. Eurogamer said they were pegging 3GB of VRAM at 1080p and they had not maxed all settings. I would bet you have slightly exceeded 4GB and are forcing your system to swap VRAM usage, which kills framerate. And if it gets bad, will stutter a lot. Get something like GPU-Z to monitor VRAM usage so that you can balance your visuals.

2. The game and/or AMD's drivers may not be well suited yet, for a 3 GPU setup. Try deactivating one card and see if you actually get a performance boost.

1. The settings in this game soak up VRAM. Eurogamer said they were pegging 3GB of VRAM at 1080p and they had not maxed all settings. I would bet you have slightly exceeded 4GB and are forcing your system to swap VRAM usage, which kills framerate. And if it gets bad, will stutter a lot. Get something like GPU-Z to monitor VRAM usage so that you can balance your visuals.

2. The game and/or AMD's drivers may not be well suited yet, for a 3 GPU setup. Try deactivating one card and see if you actually get a performance boost.

I run the game at 1440p on my system with 3 980's and it runs great. Pretty much maxed out i believe with aa etc.

I don't find the game VRAM heavy at all. With a single gtx 970 in 1440p I'm still far below 3.5 with everything maxed and MSAA 2x. Performance is very poor with those settings however (for my liking anyway) so I have to run without MSAA and/or tune down some other stuff. What I did is drop MSAA/FXAA and the "high resolution shadows" option which seems to only make a pretty small difference and now it feels pretty comfortable although there's still pretty bad fps drops in some places.

If I drop down to 1080p performance is fantastic however.

I set a fixed page file size of 4GB and it got rid of that error. Must be a memory leak because Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs also have/had the same issue.

I wouldn't worry about the page file being on an SSD: http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

I did the same thing. I had been running no page file before and had a low memory warning when alt tabbing or while loading a new mission from time to time. Set the page file to 4gb and have not had it pop up again since. ive been playing @ 4k 60fps on a gtx 980 sli setup with 16gb of ram on 8.1 and have everything maxed out except for msaa and I have post processing on high with no ambient occlusion. Aside from the memory issues that disappeared when i set a static page file size i havent had any ctd or other problems in the game after 24 hours of playtime since it launched.

Last edited:
Anyone knows what kind of performance I could expect from my PC (in my sig)? I'm worried that my CPU would hold me back. I can't really overclock it any further due to heat issues.

My son and I have similar machines. Both i7-920, he has a GTX 970 and I'm running 2x670 2GB SLI. Both had 8GB of RAM. His machine had some hicups like it was running low on RAM so I scrounged another 4 gig for him and it's a lot smoother now. He'll use 10+ gig while the game is running. CPU wise, I've only seen it pull up to 75% usage on his, mine sits in 50-60%. Probably because he has his settings higher as he has the VRAM for it. I run on "normal" textures, he runs "high" I think. Overall pretty smooth. I will say to anyone curious, you need a MINIMUM 8GB of RAM for this game. A friend has only 4gig and a 2 gig 6970 and his machine won't really play the game with all settings down.

I like the game a lot, but the connection issues are terrible right now. Trying to get a group a friends together is near impossible. We managed 4 people ONCE in hours of trying. 3 people take a bit, but usually works. 5 people in one game? Forget it.... Then, whenever we all join together in a mission, when you quit that it splits everyone up to different servers. My suggestion for those trying to play with larger groups is try starting a race or other activity then invite friends to that instance as it seems to work better. Random mayhem WITH friends is sketchy atm.

i have noticed that i have to alt tab the game to get full 60fps..anyone else experience this?

Anyone else getting lag only when bringing up the map? My mouse movement is super choppy when using the map and trying to look around or set waypoints but the game runs perfectly fine everywhere else.

I don't find the game VRAM heavy at all. With a single gtx 970 in 1440p I'm still far below 3.5 with everything maxed and MSAA 2x. Performance is very poor with those settings however (for my liking anyway) so I have to run without MSAA and/or tune down some other stuff. What I did is drop MSAA/FXAA and the "high resolution shadows" option which seems to only make a pretty small difference and now it feels pretty comfortable although there's still pretty bad fps drops in some places.

If I drop down to 1080p performance is fantastic however.

If this weren't [H] I'd say that's an oxymoron. There are only a few choices of cards that even have 4GB of VRAM on them so the majority of people trying to play the game likely have 2GB of less.

I kind of feel like the VRAM requirements for the game are steep for what you're getting. Back here on a lowly HD5870 with only a paltry 1GB of VRAM and it's not even possible to use the lowest settings at 1080p without forcing the game it ignore the calculated requirement. (It's just over 1024MB, and it won't let you apply the settings unless to toggle the ignore option). I think I've seen prettier looking games than what I'm getting with those settings on this card, so I'd guess it's not as optimized as other games to use less vram.

I love how people demand games push hardware harder, then all these people come out the wood works with 5 year old cards bitching about the game not running well. upgrade your shit.

If this weren't [H] I'd say that's an oxymoron. There are only a few choices of cards that even have 4GB of VRAM on them so the majority of people trying to play the game likely have 2GB of less.

I kind of feel like the VRAM requirements for the game are steep for what you're getting. Back here on a lowly HD5870 with only a paltry 1GB of VRAM and it's not even possible to use the lowest settings at 1080p without forcing the game it ignore the calculated requirement. (It's just over 1024MB, and it won't let you apply the settings unless to toggle the ignore option). I think I've seen prettier looking games than what I'm getting with those settings on this card, so I'd guess it's not as optimized as other games to use less vram.

It's a huge game world that is constantly streaming and never loads. It's going to use more resources across the board than better looking but smaller or more closed off games.

Last edited:
My son and I have similar machines. Both i7-920, he has a GTX 970 and I'm running 2x670 2GB SLI. Both had 8GB of RAM. His machine had some hicups like it was running low on RAM so I scrounged another 4 gig for him and it's a lot smoother now. He'll use 10+ gig while the game is running. CPU wise, I've only seen it pull up to 75% usage on his, mine sits in 50-60%. Probably because he has his settings higher as he has the VRAM for it. I run on "normal" textures, he runs "high" I think. Overall pretty smooth. I will say to anyone curious, you need a MINIMUM 8GB of RAM for this game. A friend has only 4gig and a 2 gig 6970 and his machine won't really play the game with all settings down.

I like the game a lot, but the connection issues are terrible right now. Trying to get a group a friends together is near impossible. We managed 4 people ONCE in hours of trying. 3 people take a bit, but usually works. 5 people in one game? Forget it.... Then, whenever we all join together in a mission, when you quit that it splits everyone up to different servers. My suggestion for those trying to play with larger groups is try starting a race or other activity then invite friends to that instance as it seems to work better. Random mayhem WITH friends is sketchy atm.

Thanks for sharing both your experience with those system

At the mission vote screen, you need to pick "Free Mode". If you just quit/back out, then it will dump you out into a different session. Picking "Free Mode" should try and put you back into the same session.

Back