Gran Turismo

Well, it was a bit more than just procedural scrapes in the textures:
24c9mqb.gif

and the car just over shot a jump, its not like they've shown a car eating it full tilt into a wall.

All that said, its also just a teaser to get the fanboys (me) excited can no way be taken as representation of the final product because it showed one, single, isolated fender bending.

Obviously they were focusing on the damage in that shot.

First time I watched that video I did not see the hood bent like that. However they still havn't shown full on collisions. I think it was Forza 1 that had "damage" but it was very minimalist.

To be honest, even if there is no damage I won't care. None of the other GT games had it, and if this one doesn't I wouldn't care much... it'll still be epic. But if it does have damage like I think it will then it will be epic.

Have you ever race on track before? Like I said before, the handling in GT5:p is quite realistic especially with a nice wheel like G25. If you like arcade racer and crashing around then good for you. I prefer realistic handling but I don't want my car to be damaged by noobs. oqvist is right, PC sims are better but for a console game, GT5:p is really a good option. Btw I want you to meet my race team and our race car.

Your car looks awfully "squished". Whats up with that? Suped up go-kart?

Your car looks awfully "squished". Whats up with that? Suped up go-kart?

Yeah a suped up go-cart with independant double wishbone suspensions, crash box, roll hoop, customizable ECU with engine mapping, carbon fibre body and four wheel disc brakes. Did I mention that we designed and built the car ourselves? ;)

Damage modelling is good but it is not neccessary for me and I prefer to play online without damage because I don't want my car to be damaged by noobs.

When I play offline, having damage modelling won't make much of a difference for me. Even without damage modelling, I'm not going to crash the car around. When I play GRID, most of the time I would only have scratches on my car so I don't think that damage modelling will make a difference for me. If you need to have damage modelling to drive properly then good for you, but for me it won't make any difference at all.

If you play online against "noobs" as you put it earlier, I'll agree, that the damage modeling becomes more of a hindrance rather than an effective means of adding realism. This is definitely a problem with Grid online but that is why servers have the option to turn off damage. All this talk of realism, physics, etc. trying to achieve an experience close to the "real thing" as possible is nice. I give credit to driving simulation games, but sometimes providing a realistic simulation game can also take out the fun factor. I think the problem with racing "simulation" games is that there is no way for the gamer to experience the g-force of taking a turn at high speeds. That is where the real fun is at for me when I take my car to the track.

But that's ok, it's a game, and it's limited, which why my criteria for a racing sim is more realistic. I want it to be fun, have nice graphics, realistic tracks, and the cars should handle the way they should in real life....and yah, and it must have my favorite track: Nurburgring Nordschleife. And the most important aspect of all is the A.I. I really don't like playing online because from my experience in Grid, people just want to crash you, lol. So for me, a good A.I. is a big factor. It'd be nice also if GT5 or Forza 2 were able to have an A.I. that would be able to some how learn and become better as the gamer's skill develops, rather than having a set difficulty level. I think this would prolong the life of the game considerably.

Yeah a suped up go-cart with independant double wishbone suspensions, crash box, roll hoop, customizable ECU with engine mapping, carbon fibre body and four wheel disc brakes. Did I mention that we designed and built the car ourselves? ;)

Thats pretty dope! Had to ask, it just looked so.. "off" haha!

Have you ever race on track before? Like I said before, the handling in GT5:p is quite realistic especially with a nice wheel like G25. If you like arcade racer and crashing around then good for you. I prefer realistic handling but I don't want my car to be damaged by noobs. oqvist is right, PC sims are better but for a console game, GT5:p is really a good option. Btw I want you to meet my race team and our race car.

Nice, FSAE isn't it? UBC?

I'm on an FSAE team, we sometimes take our car to hillclimbs and compete against a whole range of cars from street cars to backyard built cars. Even though our car is only 600cc producing 80hp, we smash the street cars no worries, even the 800+HP ones as long as there's no big straight which we reach our limit on. Goes to show that a high powered street car is no match for a purpose built race car, even an 80hp one.

Oh, and I've never played a game that felt remotely like driving our FSAE car :p

Anyone got any opinions on Forza 3 vs GT5?

GT5 will have way more content. Probably twice the cars and 3-4 times as many tracks and events. Forza 3 has nice graphics but GT5 looks photorealistic. The only big "feature" Forza had on GT was damage, and now GT has damage (done right) along with dynamic weather and a day/night cycle, stuff not included in Forza 3.

I'm sure Forza 3 is a big jump from Forza 2. But GT5 is a huge jump from GT4 and 5 prologue.

Last edited:
GT has damage (done right) .

It's these little touches of bullshit that always make me laugh at your posts. Especially since in the other threads you were discussing how limited damage would be in GT5. Also since we have zero idea how damage will work in either GT5 or Forza3.

But aside from that, you suddenly apparently know both of those things, and have been able to compare them already. Can you share your other hands on impressions?

Have you seen the video with PD where they show the detail of the car models ?

The bumper, the windshield, everything is its own unique model glued together to make the car. I think when they modeled the cars in such detail it was so they'd be ready for damage implementation. I've seen Forza's damage model in the past and was unimpressed. The bar for PD isn't that high. ;)

Forza 3 damage:
2n706zd.gif

Last edited:
Have you seen the video with PD where they show the detail of the car models ?

The bumper, the windshield, everything is its own unique model glued together to make the car. I think when they modeled the cars in such detail it was so they'd be ready for damage implementation. I've seen Forza's damage model in the past and was unimpressed. The bar for PD isn't that high. ;)

More hands on impressions please, since you're so assured of the full feature set for both games.

While you're at it, I'd love some of your hands on impressions of Agent as well. You always seem so sure of how the games work when the rest of the gaming world and gaming media seem to know nothing.

Doubt all you want, GT5's damage modeling will be superior in quality.

GT5 has dynamic weather.

GT5 has day/night cycles. Not possible on Forza 3 due to the pre-baked lighting.

GT5 is 1080P with 16 cars
Forza 3 is 720P with 8 cars

Forza 3 is a sand castle on the beach before the tsunami known as
Gran Turismo 5.

It's best to get out of the way technoob. You're going to look foolish if you keep knocking GT5 and hyping Forza 3 as the next coming.

Umm... we don't really know anything about GT5 yet. We've certainly seen nothing of weather.

GT5's damage modeling will be superior in quality.

/laugh

You're nothing if not a loyal corporate warrior, I'll give you that. I wonder if I devoted my life to a corporation if I'd get the gift of seeing the future that you seem to possess.

Gran Turismo 5.

It's best to get out of the way technoob. You're going to look foolish if you keep knocking GT5 and hyping Forza 3 as the next coming.

I mean...what more can be said. I'm laughing out loud at you right now. Especially since I've never said anything bad about GT5 nor have I ever said I even plan to play Forza 3, let alone that I like it. But not pretending that I know everything about a game before it's released apparently means I'm foolish? I don't think you know what the word means. Just read your post again for a hint.

sandcastle...rofl

Kaz gave recently gave an interview to Audi.

From the horse's mouth, GT5 will include changing weather, night racing, and damage.

http://www.gtplanet.net/weather-changes-night-racing-in-gran-turismo-5/
Cool. Hopefully it will be there... though I'm a little hesitant to believe it without reservation simply because they said damage was coming to GT5 Prologue "very soon". That was said in an interview back in March 2008, after originally promising it in August 2007.

The only downside of that interview is he confirms that damage is only going to be for race cars. :(

Doubt all you want, GT5's damage modeling will be superior in quality.

GT5 has dynamic weather.

GT5 has day/night cycles. Not possible on Forza 3 due to the pre-baked lighting.

GT5 is 1080P with 16 cars
Forza 3 is 720P with 8 cars

Gran Turismo 5.

This is coming from a huge fanboy of GT. It was a system seller for me since the first one... its absence so far is why I don't own a PS3:

Forza 3 will likely win because Forza 3 will likely be released. There I said it.

I want it to come out, I really do. I just stopped getting my hopes up for it a long time ago. It has been "almost done" and "we could release it at any time!" for so long now I am about to list it as Duke Nukem ForeverCart.

Keep the faith man. They'll release it, even if it's not quite as they envisaged it.

It's a huge chunk of guaranteed sales.

What a stupid thing to compare the release of GT5 with Duke Nukem Forever. GT5 will come out and there's no doubt it's going to be amazing. All the stuff that they're adding into their franchise which they haven't before like in-car views for THAT many cars, rendering EVERYTHING in the environment at full 1080p, I ever read and saw in GT:5P that once you select your race you are in that race in about 3 seconds which is great load time, and also if they do environmental changes/effects and damage... it will be epic.

Btw, I have a PSP... is anyone looking forward to GT: Mobile? I've been looking forward to that since I heard of the PSP before it released and i'm defidently getting that. It's nice to finally have a release date on it (I think October 1). It seemed like it disappeared after E3 and I lost track of it b/c I assumed it was never going to come out. I remember once at E3 they showed how Gran Turismo can even connect to your PSP and you can use your PSP's screen as a rear-view mirror and they showed it in real-time. Anyone remember that? I wonder if they will incorporate that or if it was just for show...

Factoid: Polyphony Digital (Creaters of Gran Turismo) designed the entire computer interface (in the dash) for the new Nissan GT-R production model that is currently on the roads.

weather only being cosmetic and not affecting the handling according to that interview... What is the freaking point adding it if so???

weather only being cosmetic and not affecting the handling according to that interview... What is the freaking point adding it if so???

I think you're extrapolating way too much from that article.

The question was about graphics and he replied the graphics for rain and night was almost ready.

Later he adds something about changing weather and it affecting indexes. Presumably 4WD will be a major advantage in the rain. Tire selection etc.. it will matter. The weather isn't cosmetic only.

no he say cosmetic weather. I think you are extrapolating to much about what features will be in the game :)

no he say cosmetic weather. I think you are extrapolating to much about what features will be in the game :)

Stereophile has already played the finished product in the future and returned to tell us all about it, don't argue with him

There's not really any need for that. He believes one thing based on the interview, others believe other things. At the end of the day it's all meaningless until they come out and tell us what's actually going to be in the game, and more importantly, when it's coming out.

His answer about GT5's amazing graphics was translated from Japanese to German to English.

I think you're trying to be a big drama queen :rolleyes:
Oh noes weather is cosmetic only !

The article does not support your assertion. Especially the part you made up about "weather not affecting handling". Nothing of the sort was mentioned.
;)

His answer about GT5's amazing graphics was translated from Japanese to German to English.

I think you're trying to be a big drama queen :rolleyes:
Oh noes weather is cosmetic only !

The article does not support your assertion. Especially the part you made up about "weather not affecting handling". Nothing of the sort was mentioned.
;)

Suite yourself. It was you that linked to that review where he state that the weather changes will be cosmetic.

Maybe english is not your primary language but that means that there won´t be any different grip levels on the track and no physics code so yes it wouldn´t affect the handling...

But maybe you have a better link to proof that that isn´t the case that doesn´t talk against you :)

It's a tremendous leap to proclaim the weather in GT5 is only cosmetic and doesn't affect handling. Your trolling is based on a 3 language web translation, interpreting the word "graphic representation" in English literally and exclusionary. .

The article does not imply the weather is ONLY a cosmetic feature. That's poor logic. It's a matter of reading comprehension. Argue with reality at your own peril.
I'm not got to bother when it's obvious you're full of shit. Common sense anyways. PD is going to the trouble to make the graphics for rain but not adjust the physics to let the tires slide more ? Come on. :rolleyes:

I think you and a few other guys here should really give F1 Championship CE a shot. Especially since you do kart racing. Once you turn off all the driving aids, drop the six axis for a g25, and crank up the difficulty level, it is probably the most challenging and realistic f1 racing game to date. It's more for die hard f1 fans. While the game suffers in a few areas, lame pit stop action being one of them, it's probably the best f1 game out there. A good hold over until f1 from codemasters comes out. You can find it used for $20 if you look around.

It's a tremendous leap to proclaim the weather in GT5 is only cosmetic and doesn't affect handling. Your trolling is based on a 3 language web translation, interpreting the word "graphic representation" in English literally and exclusionary. .

The article does not imply the weather is ONLY a cosmetic feature. That's poor logic. It's a matter of reading comprehension. Argue with reality at your own peril.
I'm not got to bother when it's obvious you're full of shit. Common sense anyways. PD is going to the trouble to make the graphics for rain but not adjust the physics to let the tires slide more ? Come on. :rolleyes:

I may be trolling from your view point suggesting it´s not perfect yes :)
It´s not poor logic what does it matter if it translated a number of times? Where do they incline that the weather is not purely cosmetic ;). Poor logic is to just assume GT 5 will have every feature in the world without anything to back it up. Talk about leap of faith.

what does it matter if it translated a number of times?

What does it matter how many times it was translated ?
Are you dense or just being obtuse ?

Where do they incline that the weather is not purely cosmetic ;)

:rolleyes:

Luckily I've tracked down a better translation so consider this settled. Kaz said nothing like your idiotic made up assertion that "weather is cosmetic only", something the other translation never said or implied.

In fact he confirms what I said all along, they intend to simulate weather and it will affect things.

2s9u06x.jpg

28vg5qa.jpg

oqvist.technoob.smashed.by.GT5.WRC.while.raining.driver.lost.control.awesomedamage.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's cute, but I never said it wouldn't have weather, or that weather would be cosmetic, or anything else. I'm just continually amused by your massive knowledge base of things that are [I]unannounced[/I]. See: your silly judgements before the products are even out that one feature of one product will be superior to that feature in the other. I know that's a hard concept for you to distinguish though.

That's cute, but I never said it wouldn't have weather, or that weather would be cosmetic, or anything else. I'm just continually amused by your massive knowledge base of things that are unannounced. See: your silly judgements before the products are even out that one feature of one product will be superior to that feature in the other. I know that's a hard concept for you to distinguish though.

yup he doesn´t understand that. Also that seems to be an interview you made up yourself and he doesn´t confirm that it will be in the game either ;). Do you have any link to the original interview? I could do that for myself in 15 minutes time tops.

Damn man.

People like to nitpick at every damn tiny thing.
Trolling at its worst.
It's just an opinion. Accept it or brush it off.

yup he doesn´t understand that. Also that seems to be an interview you made up yourself and he doesn´t confirm that it will be in the game either ;). Do you have any link to the original interview? I could do that for myself in 15 minutes time tops.

It's from a pdf on the Audi website. I knew your lameass would accuse me of photoshopping it.

http://www.yukom-client.de/client_space/audi_ar_08/#/nuerburgring/realtiyandillusion

I said you were extrapolating too much from a poor web translation, the article never implied weather was only cosmetic, and now I've proven it.

Last edited:
Do you have any link to the original interview? I could do that for myself in 15 minutes time tops.

Too much funny there.

Sure, you could likely author up some inane banter and stuff it into a template like the one above, but your version would likely be as full of errors and misinformation as most of your recent posts on this subject are. In other words, it would read as being obviously fake. You honestly don't think that any of an article's context would be lost through translation? Even when translated not once, but twice from it's original language??

I'm not pointing any fingers, but many people appear eager for GT5 to fail and I'm not sure why. Wait, GT is Playstation's #1 franchise of all time. Ah, there it is. ;)

I really wish the game would just launch already so we can start discussion on why the reverse lights still don't funtion on any of the 800+ cars. :D

I'll be buying this game at launch definitely, not going to wait for a descent used price on this game.

Too much funny there.

Sure, you could likely author up some inane banter and stuff it into a template like the one above, but your version would likely be as full of errors and misinformation as most of your recent posts on this subject are. In other words, it would read as being obviously fake. You honestly don't think that any of an article's context would be lost through translation? Even when translated not once, but twice from it's original language??

I'm not pointing any fingers, but many people appear eager for GT5 to fail and I'm not sure why. Wait, GT is Playstation's #1 franchise of all time. Ah, there it is. ;)

I really wish the game would just launch already so we can start discussion on why the reverse lights still don't funtion on any of the 800+ cars. :D

No I am just trying to learn stereophile that if he is going to state his opinions as facts he better have proof to back it up. He failed with the first link which mentioned I quote cosmetic weather nothing else. Free to interpretation but most would probably take that as a graphical implementation of weather. Like rain drops on the windshield.

Second link did more to give credit but again looked photoshopped something silly.

It´s not me that is trying to prove anything here it´s stereophile that is saying Gran Tourismo 5 have already confirmed having dynamic weather in the game. I never said it doesn´t I have no clue thus I would like to see more reliable sources then stereophile for this. Nothing conclusive so far though but at least not taking from thin air as it appeared in the first place.

So I am not being an ass I am just helping the poor guy so he will get less misunderstood in the future.

Back