Google Talk

i haven't had time to raed the liscence agreement yet -- anyone know how the privacy works?

do they listen to my calls?

will they give my calls to the government? under what conditions?

to a 3rd party? under what conditions?

etc. etc.

Can't you just use Ventrilo, which is basically the same thing, instead of going through a telephone? :rolleyes:

From the terms page:

Your Intellectual Property Rights. Google does not otherwise claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload or transmit from, or store using, your Google Talk account.

From Privacy policy:

You should know:

We collect, store and maintain account information on our secure servers.
You can update your account information and preferences/settings at any time.
We will never share personal information with unrelated third parties for marketing purposes without your express permission.

cliffs from skimming privacy policy:

1)they claim they won't give info you send to anyone else, and they don't store it
2)They WILL look at your usage and how you use the service
3)They WILL share your contact info with other google services
4)Of course all this is void if they get your permission somehow
5)...
6)profit?

paranoia freaks rejoice, not sure if this would work with gtalk or not, but nonetheless I think this is cool anyhow: http://tor.eff.org/

Have fun, and folks no matter what, the government is gonna watch and listen whether we want them to or not, that doesn't mean I support it, but I do understand it

EDIT: and btw, this google talk service is mighty freaking cool so far, I hope they develop the crap out of it

Play the wumpus game by adding the user "wumpus.game" and sending it a message that reads "play."

I can't login! Even thought I am sure I am entering the correct password?

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Try logging into gmail. If you can't get in there you won't get into this. You also only have to enter your gmail username (not @gmail.com). It will fill in the rest for you.

aireyc said:
Try logging into gmail. If you can't get in there you won't get into this. You also only have to enter your gmail username (not @gmail.com). It will fill in the rest for you.
I login to GMAIL just fine! that's the whole thing! I am sure of the login info :(

Carnival Forces said:
i haven't had time to raed the liscence agreement yet -- anyone know how the privacy works?

do they listen to my calls?

will they give my calls to the government? under what conditions?

to a 3rd party? under what conditions?

etc. etc.

:rolleyes:

If you don't have a gmail account, will this work? I think you need an invite to gmail can anyone toss a brother an invite?

Looks like Skype. More of these will probably come out over time.

For anyone else that wants an invite, don't clutter the thread with requests - it'll get it locked :D

PM me, I have 100 to give away.

I like this chat client. It is simple, no ads, no annoying pictures, launchcast, winks, and other worthless crap that yahoo and msn have tossed into their apps.

I got a reply back from Google about the log-in problem I am faacing........

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about this problem. We're aware of the issue, and our engineers are working diligently to find a solution.

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced, and thanks for your patience while we work to solve the problem.

Sincerely,

The Google Team

MaXimus666 said:
I got a reply back from Google about the log-in problem I am faacing........

cool, i just sent them a help message about the same thing as i am having the same issue.

German Muscle said:
cool, i just sent them a help message about the same thing as i am having the same issue.
Try to log-in now. it works for me now.

Back