Good "clean up" software?

jfuze

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a good program to keep my new PC clean(Registry, junk files, etc).... right now I have CCleaner, but was wondering if anyone knew of something better?

Also, what is considered a good anti spyware program to use nowadays? i always used Adaware on my old PC.

ATF Cleaner paired with CCleaner is what i use and recommend :D

For registry cleanning, the one included in CCleaner is more than enough

Ace Utilities is outstanding. $30 to purchase, 30-day free trial with full functionality.

Fast, safe and easy with excellent functions such as startup-program control and registry compactor.

Hope this helps!

Another vote for Regseeker. You also might want to use ntregopt to optimize your registry.

I use TweakNow RegCleaner Professional. It has a registry cleaner and reg. defragmenter. It works well. You do have to pay for it though, but it is a one-time deal and they send you updated versions of their program on a regular basis.

A good anti-spyware program is Ad-Aware. I use their SE version which you also have to pay for, however they keep up on their definitions really well. I used these two for 2 years without having to reformat for any reason other than when I just recently upgraded my hardware. Great programs.

yet another one for CCleaner, and i also use spybot S&D (why i still use it.. idk. lol)
AVG as my antivirus

Yeah, if were gunna talk about malware and viruses too I suppose I would recommend Spybot for the malware (although I don't use it myself...I don't really have a malware problem....all it would find is a bunch of cookies), and NOD32 for antivirus. I know NOD32 isn't free like AVG, but it's soooooo lightweight, and it does a good job too.

AVG does a very good job catching viruses, but it's much slower than NOD32, and AVG really increases boot time.

RegSupremePro is the most powerful reg cleaner I have ever used. I have a registered copy but never use it now because CCleaner is good enough. It doesn't remove anywhere near as much as the deep scan in RegSupreme does but it's not needed to deep clean the registry on OS's like XP and Vista because how big your registry is doesn't affect performance like it could with Win98.

Yeah- my problem is that I was trying to uninstall and then install a program, and it apparently did not entirely remove itself from the registry properly, so I need something that will get in there, dig down, and find what my manual purges have missed. I also need something that's not going to f-anything up, which I've heard multi-OS cleaners can sometimes do in Vista.

Ok, so I dled and ran CCleaner. I'm still having the same issue trying to install the program.

Ok, so I dled and ran CCleaner. I'm still having the same issue trying to install the program.

Install what program, CCleaner? If so, try right clicking the installer and select "run as administrator"

good luck

I have CCleaner working fine on Vista x64, so I know it works. Other than that I use SuperAntiSpyware and then with NOD32 I've never had a problem.

Try the prog I mentioned. It has a few useful tools to look into the registry so you don't have to have it do an auto clean. It should list the prog that is giving you issues and allow you to delete it's entries manually.

30 day free trial

http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/

I meant that CCleaner ran perfectly well and didn't fix the installation issue w/the program that was having the issue. I also tried the trial of Ace Utilities, and that managed to find almost 16x more issues than CCleaner, yet still failed to fix the issue. So I just dumped everything I needed to my external hard drive and reformatted- figured it was about time to anyway.

+2 for CCleaner.

I've been using ad-ware as an antispyware util, anyone recommend a replacement? The 2007 version is god awful.

Do you run these on a regular basis or just when you have a problem? Are they resident? I know S&D is a process that runs like an Anti Virus, but what are the others?

I like CCleaner as well, so +1 for that. I use several anti-malware utils: AdAware, the M$ one that runs every time you do an update, Spybot S&D and Trend. As another said, about all they do any more is clean the hinky cookies - don't let CC handle your cookies, it just wants to wipe them all and many are useful. So leave the cookies to your malware utils. You have to run the Reg. cleaner part of CC separately.

Most programs that mess up the registry badly like the one you are using seems to (why hasn't its name been mentioned? let's get it out now), will have a full clean up procedure and/or utility available on their web site in the Support section - and there are special Uninstall programs at sites like MajorGeeks.com that clean up many known bad boys' droppings - they aren't always just in the registry... Well I guess this program (Total Uninstall): http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4396.html -
doesn't do what I thought it did unless it was used to monitor the installation to begin with, but if you use it to monitor the installation of the messy program on another system, you may be able to find out what you need to remove from your system and, of course, use it to fully uninstall the messy program from the other system as well.

.bh.

Back